News   Mar 28, 2024
 163     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Daily Poll for June 9, 2010: Which is your favourite starchitect building?

Which is your favourite starchitect designed local building?

• Brookfield Place Galleria (Santiago Calatrava)

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • One St. Thomas (Robert A.M. Stern)

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Ontario College of Art and Design Sharp Centre (Will Alsop)

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Pearson Airport Terminal One (Moshe Safdie)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Roy Thomson Hall (Arthur Erickson)

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Royal Ontario Museum Crystal (Daniel Libeskind)

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Toronto-Dominion Centre (Ludwig Mies van der Rohe)

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Today you get to weigh in on major Toronto buildings designed by starchictects who are not (yet?) Pritzker laureates. This batch are all from out-of-towners; we'll have another round for landmarks by locals soon!

ROMConstruction.jpg

Besides voting above, please tell us more about your choice below.

The TD Centre is in a league above all of the other options. That's not to say I don't like the others though, I really like most of these buildings, with exception of the Crystal and 1 St. Thomas..

The BCE Place Galleria is the grandest, most impressive structure of the choices listed. It's the one that says "big leagues" the most and it reminds us what a shame it is that Calatrava is no longer contributing to this city. Timeless, elegant, and grand.

First off, I love Erickson's Yorkdale and Eglinton West Stations. Bringing great architecture into the daily lives of the masses should be acknowledged as the great opportunity it is.

I chose the Toronto-Dominion Centre from the list. Mies' approach of continuously developing his ideas with every subsequent project was venerable and the complex was one of the last he designed. I believe it was the biggest project he was involved with. It's the scale and the significance of the project in the Modernist master's career that put it above the rest. Its aesthetic impact on the city was incredible.

But it must be said that it's a very impressive group. I'm curious whether Stern could design an attractive subway station, maybe Beaux-Arts inspired. That would be cool to see at Union.

Last edited:
Well said, junctionist. The TD Centre's contribution to the city's civic consciousness would be hard to beat today, not just because Toronto is so much more sophisticated but because the power of that architectural ensemble is so outstanding.

BTW, i42, you forgot Thom Mayne's Grad House.

First off, I love Erickson's Yorkdale and Eglinton West Stations. Bringing great architecture into the daily lives of the masses should be acknowledged as the great opportunity it is.

Agreed, and subway stations will figure in a future poll. (Since we're doing these daily now, you gotta know we'll eventually have to ask where your favourite patch of dandelions is; we're going to cover everything!)

Back