News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 664     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 934     0 

Kartelle Lofts on Queen (at Pape, Kartelle, 4s, ?) (was Film Studio Lofts) COMPLETE

marcus_a_j

Member Bio
Reaction score
I couldn't find a thread for this project, nor did a google search turn up anything. At the SE corner of Queen East and Pape there is an abandoned construction site. As the google map shows the site was excavated and construction began. Concrete was poured on the bottom level as well as one or two basement level walls. An elevator shaft was also built up to about 4 storeys above ground (also seen in the air photo).

When I walked by here two weekends ago there were no construction vehicles on site and a couple feet of water at the bottom of the site. Clearly there has been no activity for a while. I do not venture to this area that often so I have no idea when construction did actually begin. I remember a sign saying Film Studio Lofts, or something to that nature. Anyone know about this project that looks like it got bit by the downturn?

The site has been that way since last fall. The elevator shaft was built up late last summer, along with the dig.

I saw three workers there about a month ago. Maybe they were just collecting their stuff. No activity at all in months and months.

Construction has resumed.

etwo70P

(photo uploaded from iPhone, sorry about the size)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no info on the development. I've searched online but with no luck. Does anyone have any up to date details on the planned development?

For a history of this project, read: http://www.movesmartly.com/2010/05/leslieville-news-the-pit-at-queen-and-pape.html

Symmetry Developments was scheduled to take over the project (as referenced in the last para of the article) before Total Site Works decided that they would continue construction themselves.
To anyone considering purchasing here, Caveat Emptor, and as the article suggest, always do your due diligence when purchasing pre-construction.

Last edited:
I know I'm being picky, but the project name in the thread title needs to be changed to Film Studio Lofts, singular-- not "Studios". ;)

Update

From about a month ago:

IMG_5123_small.jpg
IMG_5125_small.jpg
IMG_5124_small.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5123_small.jpg
    IMG_5123_small.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,604
  • IMG_5125_small.jpg
    IMG_5125_small.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,592
  • IMG_5124_small.jpg
    IMG_5124_small.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,621
Somebody needs to get on their white horse and finish this thing. I think everyone in the neighborhood is sick of looking at it.

Somebody needs to get on their white horse and finish this thing. I think everyone in the neighborhood is sick of looking at it.

It's a shame. I love the concept and the location. Low/mid-rise just doesn't work in Toronto when the name of the game is profit.

The so called delevoper (totalsiteworks) ran out of money building this project and has not paid the sub-trades, for this reason selling the property will be difficult with all the liens on it. If it is purchased and finished the cost per unit will be uber expensive

Back