News   Apr 16, 2024
 30     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 483     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Daily Poll For May 12, 2010: Best Proposal For the New St Lawrence North Market?

Best Proposal For the New St. Lawrence North Market?

• Blue

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Green

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Orange

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Red

Votes: 40 49.4%
  • Yellow

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Blue

StLawNMktblue1750.jpg

Green

StLawNMktgreen5750.jpg

Orange

StLawNMktorange1750.jpg

Red

StLawNMktred10750.jpg

Yellow

StLawNMktyellow1750.jpg

as of right now the poll results are in the same order that I ranked them: Red, Orange, Green, Blue/Yellow. I will be happy as long as blue or yellow are not picked as the winners, but who knows with this city. Also even though I like the general design and massing of green, that beige brick has gotta go!

Anything but Yellow!

Yellow is so horrible... much more horrible than any of the others; Toronto already has a building that looks like that.

Orange or Red would be ideal... and it seems most people on this forum agree.

Yellow is a "safe" building you can drive by it and not notice it since it doesn't stick out. I really hope they go with something bold like orange or red

I like Green by far the best. It fits in with the architecture of the south market, while bringing some modern touches along with it. I don't think that "bold" architecture is really needed in the St. Lawrence are at all.

Blue looks like an urban asylum. It has no respect to the traditional surroundings of Toronto. Not a sense of market-atmosphere inside. That seems something else than a what market should be.

Green is impressive, for its tribute in aesthetics to the original North Market in 19th century. I would nominate this, but to me something little more radical embodiment is needed, yet able to siphon a bit of market quality that South Market solely cherishes its own.

Orange: a itsy-bitsy mash-up of AGO, Foster's Pharmacy Building interior and a typical Loblaw interior! Nice try but this is not what St. Lawrence is about. That scheme works anywhere but there. Surprisingly, I do love the mechanisms of a proposal it is meant to function in sustainable fashion.

Red: Now we are talking! Open-configurable scheme, airy exterior and interior, bold in style yet respects its function and circulation to its neighbouring areas. This would be a winner by wide margin, with only Green-team's scheme coming close.

Yellow is too conservative, ho-hum in everything. Works as planned, but us Mississaugans want that more than Torontonians would.

The second image's the best, I don't care what colour scheme it is. It emulates the existing building and blends in well. I don't know if anyone will agree with me, but "artitecture" such as the OCAD building are just tacky and we don't need more of the same for an area like St Lawrence.

I voted fro the green proposal because it bridges a more traditional aesthetic with a clean, contemporary look.

Blue and Yellow are complete duds. I could live with any of the others, but lean towards Green with its impressive effort to fit in and its respect for the beautiful St. Lawrence Hall behind it. The others overpower St. Lawrence Hall.

Are you guys kidding me with your support of red? It looks like a Po-Mo nightmare that escaped from the Eighties! That roofline is total schlock, and not at all in tune with the character of the area. At the base of an Intrawest ski resort, this design might work, but do we really want to consider a project that already looks dated in the render and is nothing more then a cheesy attempt at capturing Canadiana outdoorsyness? I would have to throw my support behind green because of it's obvious respect for its neighbourhood. Remember, we want to compliment our famous St. Lawrence Market, not upstage or insult it.

Red by far is the worst design, coincidentally it is the most popular. I guess there's no accounting for taste.

Back