566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 866     0 

The Wisdom of Jim Kenzie

kettal

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
What can we learn from commuting surveys?

The Toronto Board of Trade published a study earlier this week that said Toronto has the longest average commute of any major city.

Worse even than Los Angeles.

This caused the Usual Suspects at City Hall to scream for more funding for subways and other mass transit systems.

They seem to forget ex-Ford and Chrysler CEO Lee Iacocca's famous quip that he too built mass-transit systems.

The study also showed that Toronto has among the best, if not the very best, score when it came to education and intelligence of its work force.

The obvious conclusion, which apparently isn't obvious enough for said Usual Suspects, is that - for whatever reasons - smart people choose to drive.

Wouldn't it make sense to make it easier, not harder, for smart people to do what they want?

Apparently not.

Remember this when the civic elections roll around this fall​

http://thestar.blogs.com/kenzie/2010/03/what-can-we-learn-from-commuting-surveys.html

He's right, it's so obvious! Why didn't I realize this sooner?

It's way beyond a lapse in logic. This Toronto Star Wheels writer took "longest commute time" to somehow mean "most auto-dependant". (Same report says that Toronto is amongst the least auto-dependent in the continent, but never mind that...)

I wish I knew if this guy was just pulling our chain, because if he's seriously this messed up, there's no way he is capable of writing for any paper that's not the Sun.

It's way beyond a lapse in logic. This Toronto Star Wheels writer took "longest commute time" to somehow mean "most auto-dependant". (Same report says that Toronto is amongst the least auto-dependent in the continent, but never mind that...)

I wish I knew if this guy was just pulling our chain, because if he's seriously this messed up, there's no way he is capable of writing for any paper that's not the Sun.

The Star is marginally more credible than the Sun these days.

However, if a Globe writer had written this, I wouldn't have taken it with a grain of salt, that's for sure.

The obvious conclusion, which apparently isn't obvious enough for said Usual Suspects, is that - for whatever reasons - smart people choose to drive.

Wouldn't it make sense to make it easier, not harder, for smart people to do what they want?

So, Toronto has bad traffic and good education, therefore all smart people drive? It seems to me that you'd have to be pretty stupid to sit in traffic when there are so many better alternatives. Give me a moment to figure that out (because I certainly qualify as stupid in his logic).

What do you expect from this idiot? His entire existence revolves around cars. I've hated him since the early 90's when in his car reviews he seemed to constantly rant about any models that didn't have cupholders. He's a smarmy, pompous ass (proven all the more once he started showing up on tv) whose opinion should always be ignored.

Back