News   Mar 18, 2024
 957     0 

Dentist Search - No insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey guys, I run a small business so I don't have health insurance that would cover dentist visits. I thought of getting insurance but considering I would only go for a quick cleaning every six months, I don't mind paying the full cost those times rather than an ongoing insurance premium.

Until now, I've been getting my cleanings at George Brown College but I'm beginning to get tired of having to go several days to get my teeth cleaned and checked, even if it's really inexpensive.

I've been told that there are dentists that offer better rates if you don't have insurance. Can anybody recommend one please?

I sometimes use that public health place at Bathurst and Richmond--it's usually about 30% cheaper than private dentists. They have all the latest equipment and because it's aimed at low-income folks, they're very polite and will treat you like a king.

(Otherwise, I use my dentist in Kitchener--if you pay cash and are a good customer--like I was--he gave me 25% discount.)

I just found the GB website with fees--$20 for a cleaning? Wow. http://www.georgebrown.ca/clinic/services_fees.pdf

Last edited:
I just found the GB website with fees--$20 for a cleaning? Wow. http://www.georgebrown.ca/clinic/services_fees.pdf

.. yeah, I once paid $40 for cleaning AND full xrays! The downside is that because the students are being supervised and have to wait for a teacher to check on their work, it takes quite a bit of time and you have to return for a second visit. It used to be worth it but lately, I value time more so I'm willing to pay $50, $60 for a cleaning to get it done right away.

I know that place on Richmond & Bathurst. I didn't realize they had dentists in there too. Thanks for the tip.

^Yeah, you go to the second floor dental reception. Being a public service, when you call they tend to behave like public service people--aka always on lunch break, rarely return your calls. Better to book in person. Cleaning, iirc, varies between $60 and $100 depending on how long it has been etc. I think a general xray exam cost me $40. I'm going to give the GB crew a try next time. I assume you have to book an appointment at GB in advance, or is walk in?

You have to be assigned a student so you'll probably never see the same student twice, unless you get multiple cleanings in a year. UofT has an even better program. They'll do extractions and other general dental work for a tiny fraction of the cost of a dental clinic.

I blogged about my Toronto dentist that sponsored Lenzr Kids in action photo contest earlier this year. Dr. Natalie Archer is fun. She's a total pro too and compassionate and so even though she has the word 'Rosedale' in her name, she's very affordable for us small business owners - and I love that she's right on the subway line at Sherbourne and Bloor station

Last edited:
Some dentists with an ethnic background maybe one source. Likely they get visitors from outside Canada who develop a tooth problem while here in Canada, so they maybe experienced with non-insuranced clients. Unfortunately, you may not get a low fee.

clubdental.ca is a great option. small membership fee (I paid 40 bucks for the entire year) and you get 25% off your bill every time you go to a network dentist. They have over 150 gta dentists who accept the membership cards though so finding a good dentist close my house wasn't hard. Thought it was too good to be true, but sure enough it works exactly as advertised. I found them when I need to get a filling and the xrays+exam+filling was going to be $500+. Paid the 40 bucks to get a Club Dental card, ended up saving over 125$ when it was all said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back