News   Mar 28, 2024
 703     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 479     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 796     0 

Wear Red Fridays:Support Canadian soldiers serving overseas.

B

billonlogan

Let us all come together as Canadians and proudly support the grassroots effort brought to Petawawa by the wives of two men serving in the Canadian Forces. The concept of wearing something red - whether a red shirt, jacket, cap, bandana or whatever - every Friday is meant to let the soldiers and their spouses and children know they are not alone. We appreciate the sacrifices they are making on our behalf. We thank them for their service to our country and their fight for peace and justice wherever in the world they are sent.

As long as you don't mind some strong language, machine guns and explosions, check out our troops engaged in Afghanistan. There's a whole section available at YouTube with the right search criteria.
I find it astounding that none of this is showing up on CTV, CBC, or CanWest newscasts, despite the recent completion of Operation Medusa, the most sustained combat involving Canadian troops since the Korean War. It's not like there's a shortage of actual pointy-end soldiering to film and air.
Here's my question: are the embedded reporters and their camera crews not following the troops off the base in Kandahar when they go into the field to fight, are the producers at the various television networks keeping the film in the can because they don't think it will sell advertising, or is there some editorializing going on to present an intentionally incomplete picture of what's happening in Afghanistan to the Canadian people?
I don't know the answer to that question. I suspect it's a combination of the first two options: the journalists don't get out in the field with the troops often enough, and when they do, all their producers will air are short clips and soundbites. I hope we haven't sunk so low that this is all about brazen manipulation of the imagery.

All I know is that we sure see a lot of the ramp ceremonies for the fallen, and not much else from the network news.

Re: Wear Red Fridays:Support Canadian soldiers serving overs

A short and nasty response to your questions about the news is that news directors don't really care about the news. What is of concern is ratings. News shows are now largely "entertainment" programs.

Partly true. They're mainly the televised version of "Life" or "Lifestyle" sections of a newspaper. I am *so* glad I have opted to not get cable.

Rather than wear red, let's dress like fashion icon Hamid Karzai on Fridays.

Love those big, colourful, flowing capes ... and those saucy little hats. He often wears grey, to set off the striped robes nicely, clever man.

Tom Ford proclaimed him the chicest politician in those cute hats and robes. though I think that Pierre Trudeau in his berets and capes still holds that title.

Hamid Karzai, of course, is a puppet. As is well documented, he has ties to Bush and American oil interests. This is why I don't bother listening to a word out of his mouth.

Rather than wear red, let's dress like fashion icon Hamid Karzai on Fridays.

:lol

The key is the lambskin hat. Smooth.

1138721112_0.jpg

The most impressive transformation, courtesy of Uncle Sam, was foreign minister Abdullah Abdullah, formerly of the Northern Alliance. He went from dressing like an ordinary Joe (or Ahmed) to Mr. GQ.

Before:
abdullah.jpg

345673546.jpg

After shopping spree at www.saksfifthavenue.com:
20Oct05_B_2.jpg

pg12_afghan2.jpg

he has ties to Bush and American oil interests

What? Afghan poppy oil?

As soon as he was installed by the Americans (he was elected later), the gas pipeline was approved and laid through Afghanistan. Previously, he was a consultant for Unical, which has ties to the Bush family.

Not to mention the fact that there is no pipeline through Afganistan...

Love how urban myths becomes facts, and how facts become lost.

Back