News   Mar 28, 2024
 620     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 374     0 

Historic photos from Toronto on this day

seemsartless

Member Bio
Reaction score
April 6th: Well, maybe 'old' is a better description than 'historic', but I thought it would be interesting to post some photos from Toronto on this day...

In another thread there was a question of industry in the backs of the houses along St. Clarens Avenue, and there are two photos in the Toronto Archives at 1025 St. Clarens from 78 years ago today:

thumbnailImage
thumbnailImage

There is also a photo from 83 years ago of the railroad illumination tower at Strachan Avenue:
s0372_ss0079_it0196.jpg

It is pretty basic right now, but I've started a web page to list Toronto historic photos from today (and the last few days) at http://wholemap.com/historic/toronto.php (I'll add an RSS feed soon, as well).

This Day In History: 40 years ago today Urban Shocker the immigrant descends from the heavens and lands in Toronto. No photographic record of the event.

This Day In History: 40 years ago today Urban Shocker the immigrant descends from the heavens and lands in Toronto. No photographic record of the event.

Happy Birthday then! And probably best no photos....

Update: OK, so not the literal heavens then... Happy Belated ( or early ) Birthday....

Last edited:
April 9: 75 years ago today, in 1935, they were getting ready to move the electrical poles at Bathurst and Queen St. west (image from Toronto Archives). Interesting to note the wine store, and what I assume is a horse drawn delivery van amongst the cars. The corner is pretty similar today, with a Starbucks in the Imperial Bank building on the right, and even still some iron fence outside the building on the left. No wine for sale, though.

s0071_it10832.jpg

The Mother Country's loss was Toronto's gain. Congratulations, doyenne, and may you be continue to contribute to the cultural vitality of our fair city for another 40 years. L'chaim!

From the Toronto Archives, a photo published in the April 9, 1911 edition of the "Sunday Toronto World":

"Item consists of one photograph. It was taken at the same time (same people in same clothing) as Fonds 1244, Item 703k, which appeared in the photo section of the Sunday Toronto World, April 9, 1911, with the caption, "Life Class of the Ontario School of Arts, The Grange." A visitor identified the subjects as follows: Far left “Mac the Model”, centre Gordon Payne, farthest back Pete Sheppard, Bill Drake farthest right, Julia Lynch just in front of Sheppard.

artstudents2.jpg

From the Toronto Archives, a photo published in the April 9, 1911 edition of the "Sunday Toronto World":

"Item consists of one photograph. It was taken at the same time (same people in same clothing) as Fonds 1244, Item 703k, which appeared in the photo section of the Sunday Toronto World, April 9, 1911, with the caption, "Life Class of the Ontario School of Arts, The Grange." A visitor identified the subjects as follows: Far left “Mac the Modelâ€, centre Gordon Payne, farthest back Pete Sheppard, Bill Drake farthest right, Julia Lynch just in front of Sheppard.

Right, I've seen those three photos before, but didn't geo-tag and date them. Thanks, added to the list for today! along with the other two down around the AGO and Grange:
thumbnailImage
and
thumbnailImage

Last edited:
"This Day In History: 40 years ago today Urban Shocker the immigrant descends from the heavens and lands in Toronto. No photographic record of the event."

also on April 10, 1970

16689207.png

Last edited:
The Mother Country's loss was Toronto's gain.

We stayed at 44 Haileybury Drive in Scarborough for a couple of weeks, with the family of one of my father's co-workers. I had no idea what Toronto was going to be like - I figured it would be like West Side Story, but so much of what we encountered in the first few months was bright and clean and Modernist and brand new.

And, yes, I remember the Beatles break-up happening as soon as I arrived.

April 9: 75 years ago today, in 1935, they were getting ready to move the electrical poles at Bathurst and Queen St. west (image from Toronto Archives). Interesting to note the wine store, and what I assume is a horse drawn delivery van amongst the cars. The corner is pretty similar today, with a Starbucks in the Imperial Bank building on the right, and even still some iron fence outside the building on the left. No wine for sale, though.

s0071_it10832.jpg

The Bank is now a Starbucks and a Mr. Sub

The Building on the left is a community center for homeless people now.

The Wine Store is now a Mexican food joint called the Jonny Banana. =)

I live in this area, so I know.

April 12: The Toronto Archive is full of interesting, historic photos, but it is also a working record of the city. Lots of photos of bridges, and even more TTC photos of streetcar tracks. Even less interesting is construction problems, like this "Spalled brickwork" - at 207 Duplex Avenue from 77 years ago. This house is just behind the TTC yards at Yonge and Eglinton:
thumbnailImage

But there are also lots of interesting drawings and sketches. Here's a Plan of Dufferin Grove Park from 97 years ago today in 1913:

f1231_it0061.jpg

Back