News   Mar 28, 2024
 296     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 322     0 

77 King Street (TD Centre) Revitalization

g2fl

Member Bio
Reaction score
Although not nearly as dramatic as its neighbor across the street, 77 King Street is also undergoing revitalization, and window replacements.

Cadillac Fairview is very pleased to announce the revitalization of the Toronto-Dominion Centre – 77 King Tower. Cadillac Fairview will implement a variety of projects that will improve tenant comfort, and significantly enhance energy efficiency, while maintaining the architectural integrity of the property. The work will focus on architectural and infrastructural revitalization, including mechanical upgrades as well as interior and exterior renovations.

From the FAQ section, the new windows will be double pained, and tinted bronze to "keep with Mies' van der Rohe's original architectural design"

Not sure if this will be extended to other towers as well.

Construction is well underway, as most of the hoarding has been set up.

Details - http://www.tdcentre.ca/home/index.ch2?pageNumber=13

The "maintaining the architectural integrity of the property" train left the station long ago when CF allowed the signage free-for-all in their retail concourses, along with the distracting clutter brought about by the installation of ad screens. Not sure how much faith I have in their new-found commitment to maintaining van der Rohe's original design.

The "maintaining the architectural integrity of the property" train left the station long ago when CF allowed the signage free-for-all in their retail concourses, along with the distracting clutter brought about by the installation of ad screens.

Quite so. Patient zero being, I think, the TD branch location in the concourse level. Everything's all travertine and black steel, clean lines, and then suddenly there's that monstrous carbuncle, all green marble, plastic ferns and fluorescent tube lighting.

If they really wanted to restore the architectural integrity of the property, they'd put the Cinema back!

(without clicking the link) I'd be concerned if this was a facade replacement but how badly can they screw up the glazing beyond using a different colour (which they aren't)

This 77 King W. project makes me nervous.

The "maintaining the architectural integrity of the property" train left the station long ago when CF allowed the signage free-for-all in their retail concourses, along with the distracting clutter brought about by the installation of ad screens. Not sure how much faith I have in their new-found commitment to maintaining van der Rohe's original design.

Also don't forget the anti-skateboard disfigurement of the monolithic granite benches, first through ugly metal "warts" with the Cadillac Fairview logo (tacky, tacky), and then when those proved non-enduring, through diagonal slice-outs...

I can't say I miss The Ring - in fact I was glad to see it go. The buildings were there first and I never understood the dialogue that McWilliams intended his vista-interrupting sculpture to set up with them. The Fafard coos, I got that one immediately.

I think a lot of the availability in the Royal Trust Tower is the result of whatever remnants of Royal Trust vacating for RBC Dexia...

Actually the majority of space available in all buildings part of this complex can be attributed to this i.e. companies relocating to one of the new developments.

Watching when / if these spaces get filled over the next year or so should give a good indication of the health of our office market (class A+) ... and wheather we can expect more office buildings in the next 1 - 2 years.

I reckon filling the space will take a 2-4 years ... so I wouldn't expect to see anything in this timeframe if not longer.

Had to step out of the Duke of Devon last night to take a call, found a quiet little nook to take it in. I looked up and found that it made for a pretty good photo.

4505481052_94e1400e4b_b.jpg

PricewaterhouseCoopers occupies over a third of the building. With their upcoming move to 18 York St (upon completion), 77 King is hoping to find a new flagship tenant.

PricewaterhouseCoopers occupies over a third of the building. With their upcoming move to 18 York St (upon completion), 77 King is hoping to find a new flagship tenant.

One can only hope they're expanding (slightly at least) in 18 York ... or are they taking less space there?

Anyway, yep that makes sense and explains this large vacancy coming up.

Back