901     0 

High-rise plane crash in NYC, ex-Jay dies

W

wyliepoon

Yahoo News

Link to article

Yankee Cory Lidle presumed 1 of 2 killed

By COLLEEN LONG, Associated Press Writer 4 minutes ago

NEW YORK - A small plane carrying New York Yankee Cory Lidle slammed into a 50-story skyscraper Wednesday, apparently killing the pitcher and a second person in a crash that rained flaming debris onto the sidewalks and briefly raised fears of another terrorist attack.

A law enforcement official in Washington, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Lidle — an avid pilot who got his flying license after last year's offseason — was aboard the single-engine aircraft when it slammed into the 20th floor of the high-rise on Manhattan's Upper East Side. And Mayor Michael Bloomberg said both people aboard were killed.

The official said Lidle's passport was found at the crash scene.

Federal Aviation Administration records showed the single-engine plane was registered to the athlete, who had repeatedly assured reporters in recent months that flying was safe and that the Yankees — whose catcher Thurman Munson was killed in 1979 in the crash of a plane he was flying — had no reason to worry.

The flying?" Lidle told The Philadelphia Inquirer this summer. "I'm not worried about it. I'm safe up there. I feel very comfortable with my abilities flying an airplane."

The crash came just four days after the Yankees' humiliating elimination from the playoffs.

The law enforcement official said the plane had issued a distress call before the crash. The official said it was unknown whether Lidle was at the controls.

capt.sge.bcc39.111006220436.photo02.photo.default-381x512.jpg

I was working at the bank branch when one of the staff said a plane hit a building in Toronto. She just got a phone call from her husband who heard it on the radio.

I could feel my heart in my throat as I thought it was most likely FCP that was hit, then I briefly worried about my girlfriend before remembering she's in Montreal, and then I thought what this might do towards delaying the Bay-Adelaide project.

Me... concerned with human life?... No no no, I'm a skyscraper geek first and foremost.

Back