News   Mar 28, 2024
 262     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 246     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 285     0 

Transit expansion for a better Toronto! (Rally/Protest idea)

Member Bio
Reaction score
Someone mentioned the idea of a protest or even a rally for Transit, and it gave me an idea to start this thread to share some thoughts and ideas.

When health care funding is cut, Doctors/Nurses/Patients protest.

When education funding is cut, Teachers and Students protest.

When transit funding is cut, no one protests.

Get the idea? I'm sure you do. As a citizen of this wonderful city, I am sick of all these delays and cuts to OUR transit services. We're so far behind other cities in transit expansion that it's astounding how people can get around in this big city.

Sadly, tomorrow will arrive, and most Torontonians will quickly forget the transit funding cuts

Should we take a stand on Queen's Park? I'm certainly willing to. How about you?

I would show up to.. If everyone who wasa on these transit threads and skyscrpaercitys threads showed up and brought a couple friends each at least wed have a respectable ammount of people. This is a disaster. Our city is becoming a traffic nightmare and transit was a good solution. ILL go just tell me when and where. We went from SOS and a mayor who would make tolls for transit to nothing. This is a HUGE joke.

I for one was ready to set up a picket line at City Hall from 6 months ago. Unfortunately we have a lot of people around here that are only sayers but not doers.

hey freshstart, if you are really serious about the picket line thing, i join u man. i had enough of this crap...been here in toronto for 14 years and nothing has changed...

I know someone who wakes up before the subway starts running goes arround to all the METRO news stands opens the papers and puts in his own flyers. Its shameless free (other then printing) advertising... If we were organized with a time and date we could print up some material to indicate when this protest would start and how to get involved. Or how about a group of us showing up to Union station and st george and yonge to try to give information on a protest and whats going on.... Contact that hopeful mayor whose all for tolls she may be our best friend.. Im good with anything.. just think it should be organized.

I live near Eglinton West.

Im contemplating spending the next week going door to door to peoples houses in my neighbourhood to educate them on whats going on and how they can be proactive.. Maybe make a petition. Maybe encourage each person when I am there to call Mike Colles office.

http://sarahthomson.ca/

HOW ABOUT THIS... Im not saying that i think that she would eb a good mayor for anything other then transit...but for the next 4 yrs transit is what we NEED... If we make pressure on the future mayors then itll become a issue.. and become unacceptable...

Mon. March, 29th - 6:00 pm
Meet the Mayoral Candidates in Scarborough
Mayoral Debate - Mary Ward Catholic Secondary School - auditorium, at 3200 Kennedy Rd., north of McNicoll Avenue

Steve Munro

Transit advocate

Getting in Touch
Friday, February 1st, 2008
As any of you who try to send email to me probably know, there is an extremely aggressive filter on the server hosting this site.

You will have much better luck sending to steve (dot) munro (at) ca (dot) inter (dot) net. You can reassemble the email address yourself.

I have access to a church at Jane and Shepherd. The news has been to the church several times. Once for a funeral of Ephraim Brown.. Once for a project the church did with community housing. Once for the opening of a community centre. The news stations have been there. CBC CTV CITY... Christopher Hume has been there. Some politicians have been there. If we ever needed a place to meet to bring the media together it may not be central but we could use it.

I don't know what a protest would achieve.

It's more than asking for a cheque to be written, it's becoming very clear that the whole funding style is broken. The original purpose of Metrolinx was that it would be self-sustaining, not living on the Premier-of-the-day's whim. The fact that it is still just a puppet agency is the problem.

I don't know what a protest would achieve.

It's more than asking for a cheque to be written, it's becoming very clear that the whole funding style is broken. The original purpose of Metrolinx was that it would be self-sustaining, not living on the Premier-of-the-day's whim. The fact that it is still just a puppet agency is the problem.

So then, what do we do exactly? Sit idly by while little to nothing happens? Frankly, I'm fed up.

Back