Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Rockport's The Nest Soon to Take Flight in Hillcrest Village
ALSO
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 143

Thread: G Road Test Tips

  1. Default G Road Test Tips

    Hi,

    I took many attempts to clear my G2 road test, but my G road test i cleared at once. The trick is study the examination centre roads a day before the test or earlier, drive on hwy for long until you get a real feel of the hwy, the hwy exits and entry, the speed limits, and the left , right turns on the residential/school areas, always obey traffic laws, no short cuts or guesses while driving, best practices is defensive driving.

    My test was only on the hwy, the examiner took me twice on east/west side of the hwy, be sure to know how to Enter the hwy, follow the speed limit on the ramp and speed up to merge in to the hwy observe check blind spot when safe merge into the hwy traffic, keep on right lane, unless told to change lane when it is safe to left and then back to right lane. Exiting hwy follow the speed on the exit ramp and be familiar with emergency parking.

    I have enclosed the test sheet which may be of use, to know how the examiner scores. Always check the blind spot, thumb rule is mirror, signal, blind spot before you change lanes.


    Wishes.
    Attached Images Attached Images   


  2. #77
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,039

    Default

    And if all else fails, move out of province for a few years. You can convert your Ontario G2 to a full license in another province, then convert back to a G upon your return.

    You too can be a fully licensed driver that doesn't really know how to merge properly.

  3. #78
    SpiralWorld Guest

    Default

    Hi everyone. New member here and new comer in Canada.

    I've been driving in Canada for almost 1 year on my int'l license (6 months traffic strike and then other six months..nobody asked). I have driven mostly on highway 400 and Toronto City, without any incidents so far.

    I've got my G1 cleared and then opted to take the G road test. I've booked it in Brampton as that was the closest date available.

    Anyone have any suggestions, tips how I can clear the G road test in first attempt?

    Cheers

  4. #79

    Default

    Buy a session with a driving school to do a dry run of the G test. This can help you to determine whether you are ready and what areas you might need to improve on.
    Member since February 10, 2002

  5. Default G test in Aurora

    I got my 'G' test on Aug 27th, 2010 in Aurora.

    In a 'G' test, do they make you do reverse parking? I suck at those so far.
    Also what hwy is the test conducted on in Aurora? I looked at a map but don't see any major hwys nearby.

    Any tips someone can give me about the G test in Aurora? e.g. school zones I should look out for? one-ways?

    I'm also taking a few lessons before hand and planning to go to the test w/ my instructor.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toronto, ON, CAN, Terra, Sol, Milky Way
    Posts
    6,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooLOST View Post
    I got my 'G' test on Aug 27th, 2010 in Aurora.

    In a 'G' test, do they make you do reverse parking? I suck at those so far.
    Also what hwy is the test conducted on in Aurora? I looked at a map but don't see any major hwys nearby.

    Any tips someone can give me about the G test in Aurora? e.g. school zones I should look out for? one-ways?

    I'm also taking a few lessons before hand and planning to go to the test w/ my instructor.
    Try to go out there and follow one of the driving school cars out when they go out on a test. Just to see what roads one or two of them use. Observe them as if you are a P.I. on a case.
    W. K. Lis

  7. Default

    Hey,

    I'm about to go for my G test in a few days, I'm a little nervous about a couple things, such as, when you make a left turn it's my understanding that after completing the turn you move into the right lane, after signaling and checking mirrors and all that. Though I've been advised to await the examiner's instructions rather than just assuming. But I dunno I've always been taught that you're supposed to change to the right lane. What should I do on the test?

    Another little issue is when you're making a left in an intersection, I was taught to creep into the intersection until it was safe to make the turn after the on-coming traffic has cleared up enough to make the turn. On my G2 the first time, I did that and failed...but it was how my instructor taught me and it's common sense right? Otherwise you'd be impeding traffic by sitting there behind the white line during a green without creeping in to make your turn right?

    I'd ask these questions to the examiner but, I don't want to make a poor uncertain impression on the day of the test. Any insight? Creep in the intersection? and move over to the right lane after a left turn? or just wait for instruction from the examiner.

  8. #83
    tomboyz Guest

    Default

    How do you book a test in Orangeville? Can you do that through your drive school, coz I thought there are designated test zones?

  9. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomboyz View Post
    How do you book a test in Orangeville? Can you do that through your drive school, coz I thought there are designated test zones?
    I live in Toronto and needed an appointment quickly as my son forgot that his G1 was expiring in 6 weeks (he's using my car).

    I called 416-235-2999 and told "Vanessa" my predicament.

    She offered me an appointment the NEXT day at "Metro East".

    I told her that was a bit too soon; she gave me a date 3 weeks from now at "Victoria Terrace".

    Maybe she could help you out with an Orangeville appointment.

    During the call she told me her call centre wasn't located in Toronto and she didn't know the Victoria Terrace area.



    Does anyone know the road test route for Victoria Terrace? Thanks.

  10. #85
    tomboyz Guest

    Default

    By the way, what about Port Perry or belleville for a drive test? Does anyone know if driving there is easy??

  11. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brayden101 View Post
    I'm moving to Toronto and someone told me the Aurora center was a great place to take your G2-Exit test. Anyone have any opinions? I've never been there personally and took my G1-Exit in Windsor which was brutal.

    Any tips would be nice, although I've read this thread through and seems to be the same stuff I knew previously. Thanks a lot in advance.
    Honestly, Aurora has been one of the worst locations I've been to. The only reason it's wait times are so good is because no one wants to go there.

    The instructor I had for my "G" actually pushed my passenger side seat so far back that it caused it to break and he canceled my test right then.

    One of the better places to go is the Lindsay location. It's about an hour from Aurora, but worth the drive to get better instructors.

  12. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMan View Post

    I think I'll rent a car and head out to Orangeville and make it a road trip.

    I also think so.

  13. #88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silver_butterfly16 View Post
    Honestly, Aurora has been one of the worst locations I've been to. The only reason it's wait times are so good is because no one wants to go there.

    The instructor I had for my "G" actually pushed my passenger side seat so far back that it caused it to break and he canceled my test right then.

    One of the better places to go is the Lindsay location. It's about an hour from Aurora, but worth the drive to get better instructors.
    I did my G at Aurora years ago and I found it to be quite easy. First, the waiting times are really short. Took my sister in recently for her test and waiting time was less than week!!! Second, the course is really straight forward. Third, traffic is quite light at mid-day. The 404 is not busy at all and there are only two routes they can take you to the 404. As for the urban driving, it's the same as everywhere else. My G2 I did in Burlington because I would have to wait almost a year at North York. This was in the late 90s.
    Moral preachings will avail nothing to the unintelligent
    Lior - Mortgage Edge

  14. Default

    Thank you so much!! Where did you take your test?

  15. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SovX View Post
    I did my G at Aurora years ago and I found it to be quite easy. First, the waiting times are really short. Took my sister in recently for her test and waiting time was less than week!!! Second, the course is really straight forward. Third, traffic is quite light at mid-day. The 404 is not busy at all and there are only two routes they can take you to the 404. As for the urban driving, it's the same as everywhere else. My G2 I did in Burlington because I would have to wait almost a year at North York. This was in the late 90s.
    Hi SovX - How long ago did you take your test in Aurora? I keep hearing horror stories about it...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •