News   Mar 28, 2024
 796     0 

Canada - EU Trade Agreement

kettal

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.troymedia.com/?p=7833

Personally, I am very excited for this. Imagine Canada becoming the centre for Europe-USA trade, since we would have both NAFTA and an EU agreement. It would also be awesome to go work and live in Europe without the whole immigration process.

I was, and I am still hopeful that this will come fruition - but - I also want Canada to actively pursue a FTA with ASEAN.... we have been pretty slow in this area .... specifically .... Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand (since I am currently residing there right now).

The goals in pursuit of a “Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA),” which would eliminate virtually all barriers for both goods and people between Canada and the EU, are lofty. But while the aims for both sides are clear, the barriers to achieving them are less so.

Does this really mean the free movement of people akin to every Canadian having an EU-member passport?

That is on the table - but it is not necessarily what will be in the final agreement. My guess it will be a level just short of EU type - not free movement, but free movement for purposes of services including work (i.e. you will have to get a work permit - but that would only require an offer from a company).

As an aside, It would be great if Canada would stop discriminating against people living within Bulgaria and Romania who are the two remaining EU countries that aren't visa exempt.

P.S. " EU remains enthusiastic about a free-trade " : free-trade is a misnomer. It's managed trade. Free-trade would basically entail the signing of a single piece of paper saying that everything is open for trade.

Last edited:
Cool :)

As an aside, It would be great if Canada would stop discriminating against people living within Bulgaria and Romania who are the two remaining EU countries that aren't visa exempt.

P.S. " EU remains enthusiastic about a free-trade " : free-trade is a misnomer. It's managed trade. Free-trade would basically entail the signing of a single piece of paper saying that everything is open for trade.

That's not true, Czech citizens require visa too.

And we require a visa to go there... so how are we discriminating?

IIRC Czechs retaliated for Canada imposing visas on them first.

Luckily I already have EU citizenship so I could go to Europe and work anyway. But I still think this is definitely a step in the right direction for all Canadian citizens! :)

Back