News   Mar 28, 2024
 132     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Pacific Mall Expansion + Hotel (Living Realty, 19s?, Petroff)

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/...proposal-would-double-its-size-add-hotel.aspx

pacificexpand.jpg

Pacific Mall proposal would double its size, add hotel
Posted: March 12, 2010, 6:40 PM by Rob Roberts

By Alex Keshen, National Post

An ambitious expansion proposal for Markham’s Pacific Mall — the largest Asian mall in North America — would double its size, add tunnels into its parking lot, and build an on-site hotel.

Stephen Wong, chairman of Living Realty Inc., said the expansion announced today would include two storeys of retail space sandwiched between one underground level of parking and a four-tiered parking garage on top.

He anticipates the expansion would add approximately 250,000 square-feet of retail space and 450 stores. There are currently 500 stores spread across the existing 270,000-square-feet of mall.

“It’s been a very successful venture to start with, so people want to make it even better,” he said.

The mall, which sits at the northeast corner of Kennedy Road and Steeles Avenue East, is a popular tourist attraction: It’s “like Christmas shopping there every weekend,” said Mr. Wong, who has been in charge of marketing and sales for the mall since it began selling units in 1993.

Unlike conventional shopping centres, the Pacific Mall has cubicle-like units, starting at a standard 145 square feet. Stores are comprised of one or more units. Due to the small nature of the stores, Mr. Wong said the mall often attracts new immigrants looking to start businesses.

Sam Cohen, president of the mall’s board of directors, said there are often wait lists for commercial space.

“People are coming into the mall and they want to get space,” Mr. Cohen said. “It’s very hard to accommodate them because it’s not too often new stalls come available.”

Mr. Wong said the proposal includes underground traffic tunnels for cars turning left from Steeles into the mall. The tunnel, similar to one at the nearby IBM campus on Steeles, would “make traffic a lot smoother rather than queuing up and blocking the road,” he said.

Kathleen Llewellyn-Thomas, commissioner of transportation services for York Region, said they already receive many complaints about traffic congestion in the area.

“Our job will be to make sure we build the infrastructure and engineer solutions that certainly won’t make anything worse, and ideally we’ll try and find things that will make it better,” she said.

The project has not yet been approved by the Town of Markham. Mr. Wong said he estimates the project will be completed in about four years.

With the proposed Remington Centre development at Market Village next door, and future phases of Splendid China Tower across Steeles Avenue, Kennedy and Steeles will get really interesting. Forget all day GO Train service... I think this place will need a subway connection!

MODS: I'd like to change the thread title to "Pacific Mall Expansion"

Last edited:
Very cool. This is quite the corner.

If any of you are in the area, I have to suggest Chung King Garden (located in the strip mall across from the Pacific Mall) and their szechuan shredded beef. They opened a restaurant on Spadina years ago, the second incarnation of which was a favourite of mine when I moved to Toronto to attend OCA(D). The Spadina location has since closed, but their "new" restaurant (opened in 1993, after the sale of the original) still survives and still serves the glorious, szechuan shredded beef.

Duelling malls that share one shrinking parking lot = awesome. I'd like to see a rendering of both mall projects together.

Not long ago I thought Steeles was a poor place for any serious transit improvements, but even in the past year I've begun thinking that the "Steeles rapid transit" line - whatever that means in practice - proposed by Metrolinx may not be that crazy (though running out along Taunton would be crazy).

I highly doubt the 2nd phase of Splendid China Tower will get built. Half of the the building is unoccupied as it is right now.

I haven't bee in splendid china tower 1 (I dont like the atmosphere of those malls too much) + never able to find parking. However, I have heard that all the units sold. The empty stores have still been sold. He has made his money and continuing making his money on phase 1. However, that will discourage investors from purchasing units in phase 2. However, I can see them more wanting to buy in phase 2 since it would be the new mall section. I see it starting to sell soon though. No matter what those will sell quickly. There is more than enough investors and end-users wanting to be a part of this 'lil section of steeles.

I haven't bee in splendid china tower 1 (I dont like the atmosphere of those malls too much) + never able to find parking. However, I have heard that all the units sold. The empty stores have still been sold. He has made his money and continuing making his money on phase 1. However, that will discourage investors from purchasing units in phase 2. However, I can see them more wanting to buy in phase 2 since it would be the new mall section. I see it starting to sell soon though. No matter what those will sell quickly. There is more than enough investors and end-users wanting to be a part of this 'lil section of steeles.

Does anyone have any information regarding the second phase of the splendid tower (or whatever it is called) ? :)

So this proposal is on top of the other my Remington, so there will be 3 malls here at the end of the day and one (if it's still around) on the south side of steeles?

Also, all these malls will not be conventional I presume, i.e. they will be following Pacific malls format?

Mall expansion = more pirated DVD stores :)

That will be one kick-ass corner.

Does anyone have any information regarding the second phase of the splendid tower (or whatever it is called) ? :)

Also, all these malls will not be conventional I presume, i.e. they will be following Pacific malls format?

A rendering from http://www.splendidchinamall.com/en/phase_two.php

heading_phase2.jpg

to confirm, yes the 2nd phase of Splendid China will be Pacific Mall style, mickey mouse size retail units

are you serious?. The Go station is right beside the mall ...... so there is more parking then all the spots combined from across the street.

I'm assuming investican's experience relates more to Pacific Mall & Market Village rather than Splendid China

Remington Centre and a PMall expansion (will they redo the existing PMall?) could make that corner realllly glitzy all of a sudden, no?

I've yet to be in PMall despite living 15 min (BY BUS) but traffic on that stretch is murder on weekends so I like this!

BTW, in the picture/rendering included in the article, which streets are where? I cant quite wrap my head around the streets in the rendering, as things seem a bit off?

Last edited:

adeel ... in the rendering Kennedy Road is on the left whereas Steeles Avenue is on the right ... view towards the northeast direction ... you can also see the existing / current Pacific Mall structure on the left

adeel ... in the rendering Kennedy Road is on the left whereas Steeles Avenue is on the right ... view towards the northeast direction ... you can also see the existing / current Pacific Mall structure on the left

Thanks for the quick response!

If this rendering is anything to go by, the expansion wil make the existing PMall look like the ugly step sister...at least market village is tearing down the old structure....also, is it correct to say that the expansion will be located where the entire parking lot is now? I wonder how they plan to handle that!

If this rendering is anything to go by, the expansion wil make the existing PMall look like the ugly step sister...at least market village is tearing down the old structure....also, is it correct to say that the expansion will be located where the entire parking lot is now? I wonder how they plan to handle that!

Keeping in mind the Pacific Mall redevelopment rendering is strictly conceptual at this time ... but based on the current concept plans both underground parking and multi level above grade parking garge are proposed ... basically the entire Pacific Mall surface parking lot will be gone and built over

Back