News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

Le Gique

Member Bio
Reaction score
Time to step up or shaddup...

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/sheppard_east_lrt/index.htm
Tuesday, April 15, 2008 Open House: 6:30pm – 9:00pm
Sts. Peter and Paul Banquet Hall 231 Milner Avenue

From the FAQs:

Consultation
(Q15) What key decisions have been made? What decisions are open for comment? (what does TTC want feedback on?) (e.g. technology, route, centre right of way etc).

Technically speaking, TTC and City staff make recommendations and, ultimately, City Council will make the ‘final decision’ on these matters. However, from a staff perspective, we will be presenting to the public (at the April 15 and 17 meetings) our rationale for recommending LRT operating along the middle of Sheppard Avenue as the best way of achieving the TTC and City objectives in this corridor. We will consider the comments we receive and, if we don’t receive a compelling argument that leads us to reconsider parts of our recommendation, we will proceed with the study with LRT in the middle of Sheppard taken as a “givenâ€.

There are aspects of the actual design that we do not yet have a recommendation on – examples are the exact location and number of the LRT stops and the design of the connection at Don Mills Station. We’ll be discussing those issues with the public to assist us in developing recommendations that we can present at our next round of Public Meetings, which are tentatively planned for the end of May or early June.

wtf @ morningside DRIVE... How do you propose a $600 million project and not get the street name correct on the report?

Scarborough Malvern Corridor

This 15-kilometre long corridor would link Kennedy Station with northern Scarborough, Malvern, and the Morningside Heights community. The light rail service would run east from Kennedy Station on Eglinton Avenue, northeast on Kingston Road, and then north on Morningside Drive to the Malvern and Morningside Heights communities. The line would provide new high-quality light rail service along several busy existing transit routes, and would provide direct service to the University of Toronto at Scarborough and Centennial College’s Ellesmere Campus. The Scarborough Malvern light rail line would connect with the Sheppard East light rail line at Morningside Drive and Sheppard Avenue, and light rail service could potentially be through-routed west or east on the Sheppard East corridor, increasing convenience for transit customers.

Anyone notices how easy it will to get to the Sheppard Open Houses?

There are a number of places along Sheppard where the Open Houses could be held.

I guess they don't want the public to show up.

Anyone notices how easy it will to get to the Sheppard Open Houses?

There are a number of places along Sheppard where the Open Houses could be held.

I guess they don't want the public to show up.

Something tells me the public isn't included in the Transit City plan.

I would think for a Transit City EA meeting that would be of most interest to transit riders, they would provide directions on how to get there by TTC.

drum - try setting up a public meeting. you'll see it's not always easy to find a space. I'm not defending the location, rather to say I know how difficult it is to coordinate a meeting between different people within the departments and then on top of that, find a community space that isn't booked by the neverending list of clubs, activities, and events.

I would think for a Transit City EA meeting that would be of most interest to transit riders, they would provide directions on how to get there by TTC.

drum - try setting up a public meeting. you'll see it's not always easy to find a space. I'm not defending the location, rather to say I know how difficult it is to coordinate a meeting between different people within the departments and then on top of that, find a community space that isn't booked by the neverending list of clubs, activities, and events.

I have, so I know what is involved.

Tonight not bad, but Thursday'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

There's no buses running along Pharmacy after 7 so thursday's meeting will only have drivers. It's held at my former High School and I'm debating about going to the meeting or going to the Jays game. I would be done my 4th exam in 4 days on Thursday and would rather get a bit juiced at the game than think about planning for one night. My plans are still in limbo.

I went yesterday to the Sheppard East/SRT EA meeting. I'll post thoughts later today (the other UT forumers please feel free as well).

But here is the planned stop spacing (yellow = unconfirmed, red = confirmed) as well as the potential SRT alignments, which includes a new surprise - an extension into central Malvern.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en...167,-79.307127&spn=0.010845,0.021501&t=h&z=15

The route from Don Mills to Morningside is 12.2 kilometres, with 23 confirmed or potential stops (6 are potential), and 23 bus stops eliminated.

On average, a stop spacing of about 550 metres. There's some larger gaps, such as Midland to Brimley and McCowan-Shorting-Markham.

I expect every potential stop to be confirmed, particularly because much of Sheppard west of Markham has Avenues potential.

I think my favourite info tidbit from last night was learning that an RT reno + extension will cost *at least* one third of a billion dollars more than a Danforth subway extension to STC, only it'll help a tiny fraction of the number of people, sustain an orphan technology, and keep the extra transfer.

Yes, but why have a better solution for less when we can have a much worse one for more?

Wow... I never thought I'd see it, but the TTC may actually do this in the best possible way for this type of LRT. Those spacings are pretty much exactly what we have been discussing on here.

The only way they could improve on this would be closing down the subway at the same time and converting it to LRT while the rest of the LRT is under construction, that way you could have a one-seat ride from Yonge to Morningside on day one.

Of course, I'd prefer a subway extension, but this is probably the best we'll get.

EDIT: Oh yes, and obligatory comment about how bloody stupid the RT extension/technology retainment is. There's not much more I can say on the subject that hasn't already been said though.

Some of the Toronto planners expressed their fustrations at the meeting (but they had to be assured that you felt the same way first) and if you talked to some of the TTC people (not the URS people) you also got this same sense, but told by political masters to toe the line. The Transfer City component for Scarborough-North York, with the needless, purposeful solidification of the Sheppard Line as a White Elephant is the biggest issue lurking. Everyone knows it.

If this was meeting for any other Transit City line, this issue wouldn't be staring them in the face, and all they'd get were the NIMBYs, people afraid of the traffic congestion, stop spacing comments, and the property issues.

My favourite comment was from the rather learned individual at the meeting (and I say this in all seriousness) who said that a certain transit advocate would advocate LRT to the moon. And, to cure cancer, the solution has to be LRT.

Back