2.2K     5 

Lawrence Heights

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
A neighbourhood is reborn

March 7, 2010

By TOM GODFREY

Read More: http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/03/07/13146151.html

####################################

Lawrence Heights is one of 13 high-risk communities slated to be razed and rebuilt in a long-term plan by Toronto Community Housing. Efforts to rejuvenate and reduce crime in problematic areas have spawned a $350-million, 20-year blueprint to transform the Allen Rd.-Lawrence Ave. area with the construction of about 6,000 townhomes and condo apartments. Architects of the plan are calling for public and private financing and want to create a mixed-income community. Driftwood, in the Jane St.-Finch Ave. W. area, is next on the list to be revitalized — after Lawrence Heights — and Alexandra Park is slated for rejuvenation some years later, said Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti, who sits on the TCH board.

“Much of what is there will be torn down and rebuilt,†said Mammoliti, who’s also chairman of the city’s affordable housing committee. “There will be less crime at the end of the day when the communities have been rebuilt.†He said the gun and gang-plagued communities of Jamestown and Firgrove, in north Toronto, are also targeted for an overhaul. The costs of some of the projects will be shared through a series of public and private funding agreements.

Population to triple. “Criminals can’t stand being around people who work for a living,†Mammoliti said recently. “We are turning these places into trendy communities.â€

According to plans for Lawrence Heights, 1,208 subsidized housing units will be replaced and as many as 4,800 market-value units will be added, more than tripling the population of 3,500. Add the possible redevelopments at a neighbourhood high school and a commercial plaza, and the area may one attract as many as 16,000 people, planners said.

####################################

sixrings:

Cityplace is a greenfield development; Lawrence Heights have to be phased to ensure most if not all of the existing residents can have replacement housing locally - besides, taking a go slower approach is probably better for overall community cohesion.

AoD

Last edited:
I thought some of you might be interested in filling out this survey about the process of gentrification throughout the neighbourhood of Parkdale.
The purpose of this survey is to gain some knowledge regarding the Parkdale neighbourhood and use the results for a University Urban Studies Research Paper. Your responses will remain anonymous.

I would really like to get some feedback from all of you. It would be greatly appreciated!
If you'd like to fill out this survey, simply click on the link below:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/V5LQHDF

Thank you! :)

Well they have started building the condos at Dufferin and Lawrence.I know that is not really part of the Lawrence revitalization that the thread is about. We;'ll see how long that takes. its seems like once these condos start to go up it does not take that long before they are done. Most of the waiting is prior to construction because so many need to be sold and all the preplanning that is done. But once construction starts, it won't take long. That corner sure will get a much needed facelift. They also are starting to build condos it looks like over by Yorkdale Rd at McAdam Ave

Im worried about the Dufferin and Lawrence area. I know that there are many plans for re-zoning all kinds of properties, but the Suburban nature of the area will be hard to change. To be honest, I see a Yonge and Sheppard future at Dufferin and Lawrence which I would argue is not that great.

Back