Toronto The King Edward Private Residences | ?m | ?s | Skyline | ERA Architects

Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
City sign up indicating they want to add an external stairway from the 4th to 16th floors. This is to be done to accommodate expansion on the 17th and 18th floor. The 17th and 18th I believe are the unused ballroom and other space. Unused because of the lack of fire exits. I guess this would solve that problem.

The Ballroom at the King Eddie is a wonderful - if decrepit - room, it was open a few years ago as part of Doors Open (I think). At that time it had great views but with all the building in the area I guess these will be different now.

2441763819_987fc1978b_o.jpg

2441763853_0ba31a77ee_o.jpg

2441763885_f638a859ce_o.jpg

I hope they have found a really elegant way to accomplish this, and that it won't be some ugly precast box running right the way up the building.

Many hotels now use water slides as an attraction. Could such a structure double as a fire exit?

More seriously, those views aren't bad, IMO. It would be nice to see a new, elegant space somewhat similar to the Carlu, likewise resurrected after gathering dust for many years. It would be a big step for the King Eddy, one of those places sometimes referred to as a "grand old dame". I believe the whole place fell on hard times for a while, during the 1980s.

great news for KE hotel ... it'll be good to see this place back in the spotlight (other than Royal York) ... the ballroom interior is indeed nice (despite falling apart) shown in wylie's photos

Some fly fishing school was teaching how to fly cast in that ball room a few years ago. How neat is that?

King Edward Hotel Sold

googling around, found this in an Israeli newspaper...I believe these are the same people who bought Stinson's site on Temperance....the 2 towers referred to as under construction may be London on the Esplanade....maybe some of the commercial RE experts here can provide more info.....

Mishorim unit buys five-star Toronto hotel

The Le Meridien King Edward Hotel is operated by Starwood Hotel & Resorts.
Globes' correspondent and Hillel Koren

5 Oct 09 11:38

Mishorim Development Ltd. (TASE:MSHR) today notified the TASE that it has bought the Le Meridien King Edward Hotel in downtown Toronto for C$52 million. The purchase was made through Skyline Executive Acquisitions Inc. a unit of Skyline International Development Inc.
Skyline deposited C$500,000 as a deposit with the signing of the contract, which will be returned if the deal is not closed.

The five-star 298-room King Edward Hotel was built in 1903, and was named for King Edward VII, Britain and Canada's monarch at the time. It was bought by Lehman Brothers UK unit in 2006 for C$62.5 million, and underwent extensive renovations at a cost of C$17 million. The hotel is operated by Starwood Hotel & resorts Worldwide (NYSE: HOT). Mishorim is considering keeping Starwood as the manager.

Mishorim CEO Rami Shriki said, "The acquisition of the King Edward Hotel is a rare opportunity for the company, because it is a property occupying an entire block in the heart of downtown Toronto, and has generated handsome revenue for its owners for years. The company will complete construction of its residential project near the hotel. The project has 500 condominiums in two high-rises, as well as commercial and parking space. The company will make some of the parking available to the hotel's guests and visitors."

Mishorim, controlled by chairman Gil Blutrich owns 67% of Skyline, while Israel Land Development Company (TASE: ILDC) owns 33%. Mishorim's share rose 0.6% in morning trading today to NIS 11, while Israel Land's share was unchanged at NIS 12.19.

Published by Globes [online], Israel business news - www.globes-online.com - on October 5, 2009

© Copyright of Globes Publisher Itonut (1983) Ltd. 2009

Last edited:
Good. Maybe they will put some work into the place, the rooms are long over due for a renovation.

Back