Markham 68 Main Street Condominiums | 42.3m | 6s | Sierra | FBP Architects

canarob

Member Bio
Reaction score
With all the local focus on Markham Centre and, to a lesser extent, Cornell Centre, it's good to see some development on Main Street Markham. The added residents should be good for local businesses, and this site is very close to both VIVA and Markham GO. I'm predicting a lot of comments about the faux historicism, but I think it's warranted in this case. If nothing else, this will be far superior to the awkward plaza that now occupies the site.

142 units; LEED Silver.

mmm1.jpg

mmm2.jpg

mmm3.jpg

mmm4.jpg

mmm5.jpg

mmm6.jpg

mmm7.jpg

mmm8.jpg

mmm9.jpg

mmm10.jpg

Great improvement from the current plaza. Has the potential to compliment Main Street nicely.

Maybe they can transplant those buildings from downtown Brantford that are slated for demolition, because the effect would be the same.

While I'm not crazy about Victorian rehashes, I do like the fact that they take a rather long frontage and chop it up into a variety of well-scaled facades. We might just find that, if nothing else, it supports mixed retail uses very well, while block-spanning modernist blocks on Bay (I'm looking at you, Murano) remain relatively dull and inert at street level.

^Ha, I was thinking along the same lines HD--transport those Brantford buildings and rebuild (at least facades) somewhere in Toronto--maybe on the Zeller's plaza edge at Dundas and Roncevalles?

It will come down to execution--good materials, good red brick, etc. I like the idea though--if you can't build better, knock off good Victorian! The strip itself reminds me of Queen West near Peter, north side, where sidewalk widens.

^ haha yeah, I was just going to say that it looks like a good chunk of Queen west is going to be replicated in Markham! I know a lot of people here are probably cringing at the thought of such faux historicism being erected, but no other developments in Markham have anywhere near this character, and let's face it, how many modernist retail strips have the vibrancy of all the pre-war ones we have in Toronto?

...and let's face it, how many modernist retail strips have the vibrancy of all the pre-war ones we have in Toronto?

None. Vibrant and modernist don't go together, IMHO.

I wouldn't mind seeing this kind of development in parts of Toronto, maybe a couple of stories taller. We don't need to embelish with phony doodads and pippypoos, but still work with the concept of what makes a vibrant street.

The Victorians had it right... we've been failing miserably ever since.

Well, something like this (if somewhat less bogus-ish) already exists in downtown Port Credit. So why not--although you're surely gonna run into the paradox of people mistaking it for a block-long facadectomy.

Anyway, it certainly befits something labelled "Markham Village Shoppes Limited".

For context, most of the street consists of old Victorian stores, so it's less a case of importing Queen Street and more a case of trying to emulate the existing built form.

partb_33.jpg

partb_29.jpg

This is certainly not the first faux development though:

Main_Street_Markham_Auto_Classic.jpg

DSCN21025.jpg

^ Another faux historicist development in Markham is Market Village. Maybe when Market Village is demolished to make way for Remington Centre those facades could also be reused.

market_architecture.jpg

For better or for worse, developments like these, plus large scale developments like Downtown Markham, Cornell and Cathedraltown are transforming Markham into the New Urbanism capital of Canada, maybe even the world.

I live just on the other side of the ravine behind this project. I will be monitoring this project closely.

Main st here is in desperate need of something. This building was a wreck of tenants. Like 144 main st is a newer office complex which has been more than 50% empty for a number of years. This whole chunk is historical designated and NO Franchises are allowed anymore. PIZZA PIZZA(at the corner) is from before the designation was put in and Starbucks got an exception because it faces Hwy 7

for MODS: the builder is SIERRA Building Group and project is known as 68 Main St -- http://www.68mainstreet.ca/

68main.jpg

Last edited:
Modernist buildings can constribute to vibrant streetscapes very well, it's just that architects frequently get the subtle details all wrong. This is especially true of street-level retail, it's rarely done right. Of course, you could say the same thing about faux-historic buildings like the ones in Cornell or the racetrack development on Queen. They emulate old buildings without understanding what it is about them that make them inviting to walk past and to window shop. It really makes me wonder what they teach in architecture school.

At first glance this development, despite its faux style, seems to get most of the details right - everything from the proportions of the buildings to the vertical detailing to the alcoves at street level that maximize window displays. It'll be filled with stores in no time.

Last edited:
Agreed.

While I'm against faux 99 times out of 100, this is faux done pretty well... especially if the building in behind is all brick, which the Main Street building obviously is.

While some UrbanToronto types may not find the idea nor the town of Markham very urban or charming, with the evolving nature of Toronto and its suburbs there is always opportunity for change, and change is coming to Markham Village's centre in the form of 68 Main Street. Created by developer Sierra Building Group and Vaughan-based Flanagan Beresford & Patteson Architects, 68 Main Street will consist of 143 suites built to LEED® Silver standard.

68MainFront1024.jpg

The design includes retail stores along Markham’s Main Street, which consists of various shops located in heritage (and some not so heritage) buildings.

The condominium is designed to fit in seamlessly with the village ambience. Its brick and stone façade will rise four storeys to match, but not overwhelm, the existing two and three storey buildings currently on the street. While the architecture recalls an era when Markham was just fields, the changing facade of 68 Main Street evokes a feeling of what a cleaned up and renovated Queen Street in Toronto might look like. Done with enough care and detail using proper materials, this could work. Behind the street units and the auto courtyard, the building will grow to six storeys.

68MainCourtyard1024.jpg

Amenities at 68 Main Street include concierge service, club/media room, gym, and a rooftop garden with barbecue and lounge. Four auto-share vehicles will be available in the building allowing the possibility for couples to downsize from two vehicles to one.

68MainRooftop1024.jpg

The developer is touting the area as pedestrian friendly (the development is commuting friendly too – it’s only a five-minute walk to the GO station). In the retail portion of the development, plans include a restaurant, café, bakery and other amenities people in the building and neighbourhood will want to use every day.

Unit choices will include a bachelor, one-bedroom, one-bedroom + den, two-bedroom, two-bedroom + den and three-bedroom suites. Pricing will start in the mid $200,000.

To register, visit www.68mainstreet.com.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back