News   Apr 24, 2024
 93     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.9K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 583     0 

Trip Planner online

it sucks to get from my place at Leslie and queen to work at 401 mccowan it would take 1 hour 27 minutes, 501 to yonge to bloor to RT to STC, bus north to 401.... the longest way possible

The directions were correct. I put in AGO first, which was not recognized. I changed the destination and it asked me to confirm from a set of choices what I meant by "Dundas & Spadina". The top choice was correct.

It gave me this as the last step of a trip before Dundas & Parliament to King & Spadina

dm8.png

Still a few bugs!

Route was pretty well correct although I note it had me go round the loop from Wellesley to Lawrence West. Normally I would transfer via Y/B and St. George, but...

Offered International Centre among several destinations before I even finished typing.

Can somebody remind me why this is better than Google's system?
I'd assume that ultimately it could incorporate real-time data; though until that time it seems inferior to what Google can do, and what myttc.ca can do.

Though to be fair, it does seem to be behaving a bit bettter than myttc.ca did when it first appeared. We'll see if it improves as fast. I hate to ask how much they've spent on this!

Can somebody remind me why this is better than Google's system?

I agree that there is no reason for this expense. Going with Google they could have a system designed to service multiple transit agencies. I seriously doubt Mississauga Transit or GO will be using "TTC developed technology" for trip planning. It doesn't give you a map and doesn't tell you where to get off. I doubt the real time information could ever integrate because the trip planner output is requested at a specific moment in time and real time information doesn't predict into the future well. By the time you have gotten to your transfer point the real time data will have changed. I think the purpose for a route planner and real time data are completely different with one being advance planning and the other being short term.

Metrolinx has been working on a GTA trip planner, but coordinating with everyone for their data must be a nightmare.

Metrolinx has been working on a GTA trip planner, but coordinating with everyone for their data must be a nightmare.

Well, it's taken 5 years since the last post on this subject, but Triplinx is now live. This is clearly the Metrolinx project referred to in this thread, though I don't see a Metrolinx logo on it. Obviously it was gotten out the door for the Pan Am Games.

Last edited:
It's hard to see why they'd bother with Google Maps running.

Typed a couple of postal codes in. Doesn't seem to find them. Fail.

It's hard to see why they'd bother with Google Maps running.
Can't disagree in general, though at least this has Durham Region Transit, who are, apparently, unable to release their transit data as a GTFS feed for some silly policy reason.

I tried to plan a trip beginning at Robarts Library (100 St George St). It told me to walk to Mimico GO station!

Screenshot_2015-05-19-09-48-35.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-19-09-48-35.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-19-09-48-35.png
    208.3 KB · Views: 340
I tried to plan a trip beginning at Robarts Library (100 St George St). It told me to walk to Mimico GO station!
There is a 100 St. George Street in Etobicoke near Mimico GO.

Which is why Metrolinx should have enabled the usage of postal codes!

Or you could've just entered the name instead of the address. This planner seems to have an up -to -date POI database.

Back