482     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 796     0 

My Floor Plan

MattR

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey,

This is my floor plan, its a loft unit 866sq ft 1br + den... Its a very open design through and through.. Not very much wasted space at all... I was wondering what your opinions were of the layout and if anyone had any advice on a possible furniture/design/layout because I can't seem to come to a decision on what I would like to do....

http://www.liveinliberty.com/tower/floorplans/charlotte.pdf

Thanks
Matt

what are they doing with the space below the staircase - is it open or closed off?

is that a walk-in closet or only 3 feet wide?
if it's only 3 ft, see if the builder will accommodate widening the access to ~6 feet.

get custom built-in entertainment unit/ shelving for under the staircase if you want a completely clean contemporary look.

you have a wide LR/DR, so it gives you the option to alternatively place shelving, etc along the west wall.

Everything under stairs is open for storage ect...

Its more of a walk-through closet but ya..

I like the idea of the entertainment unit under the stairs, thanks a lot!

What do you think of the floor plan in general?

Thanks
Matt

I think it's a nice open unit, but it'll have a lot less square feet than stated. You lose at least 50 feet on the stairs (unless you can use all the space underneath which would be great!), plus another 78ish architecturally, which puts your usable square footage at 740ish. The den's a good size, but your closet is tiny. If you don't need the den, it might make sense to get rid of the wardrobe and put a long closet along the northern wall beside the bathroom. It would make for a really nice, large master bedroom and if you're like most people these days, the idea of a home office is kind of quaint in that with the mobility of laptops/printers, etc., there's no need for a formal area at all. The balcony is nice and long although you won't be able to put any sort of table on it and walk by comfortably because at 3'9" it's very narrow. You should have a great view as well!

Very nice and I have to agree with the previous poster regarding the removal of the closet and having a large walk in closet built in the den area. There are many options including enlarging the bathroom as well. It'd clearly be a great selling point to have an extra large bedroom with a very large walk in closet that you can have extra storage. Nice long kitchen area that you have as well.

Good comments above, this is a pretty good, efficient space and I like the guest bathroom downstairs. There's a pretty good amount of space on both sides of the bedroom closet (I measure it to be about 3 1/2' on each side, so that's like having a 7' long closet) plus I presume you'd have a dresser and if you need more storage space buy a matching wardrobe and end tables for the bedroom. If it were possible I'd close in that open space in the bedroom by the window which would make your bedroom 10' wide by 16' long, that's a really good sized room, I don't see the attraction to looking over a railing in the bedroom to 3' of space below although it does create a somewhat more spacious look on both levels but I think that's something that's still a waste of space. My only two problems are the depth of the balcony (3' 9") and I don't see a closet anywhere near the front door to hang coats & such so where do coats go? Perhaps the washer dryer could be relocated in the den area upstairs in an enclosed room and extend it along the bathroom wall and add more closet space for things like vacuum cleaners, mops/brooms etc. which would reduce the den size to about 5' 5" X 9' 5" and then the washer/dryer space downstairs could be used as a closet for coats and shoes.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Lots of cool ideas. The idea of extending the bedroom is really neat.. If only I thought about that 2 years ago haha.

All the space under the stairs is open I will probably build some sort of storage/shelving under there to make good use of the space.

I think the first thing my girlfriend commented on was the size of the closet... I like the idea of extending the closet..

Anyways, thanks!

Matt

I like the floor plan and the walk through is fine. Perhaps get rid of the sliders on the closet and get a custom built organizer for both sides. I have a unit in Bliss (Catalina) with a walk through and that's my intention.

Back