Toronto Sync Lofts Condos | ?m | 8s | Streetcar | TACT Architecture

My guess is this is (kind of) across the street from Edge Lofts on the northside of Queen, next to the New Edwin Hotel.

My guess is this is (kind of) across the street from Edge Lofts on the northside of Queen, next to the New Edwin Hotel.

I believe you are correct. When I finished registering on the website, I was given the address 630 Queen St E.
Google StreetView shows the old four-store strip mall, but I know the strip mall was recently demolished.

Excellent - another horrible suburban style strip mall that has no place in the city dies!

On the city's Development Application Website, this building is listed as an 8 storey, 58 unit condo with 4 commercial units on the ground floor, and 3 floors of underground parking, and it seems a building permit was issued for it on August 29th of last year.

Big sign on site now. No rendering though. Priced from $179,900.

Last edited:
On the city's Development Application Website, this building is listed as an 8 storey, 58 unit condo with 4 commercial units on the ground floor, and 3 floors of underground parking, and it seems a building permit was issued for it on August 29th of last year.

Was there a planning report for this one?

I believe you are correct. When I finished registering on the website, I was given the address 630 Queen St E.
Google StreetView shows the old four-store strip mall, but I know the strip mall was recently demolished.

Not to rain on your parade but Streetcar Dev'ts is very, very fond of drywall inside their buildings. The only concrete you'll find is for the outer four walls and the floorplates. Also, workmanship can be quite shoddy. I've watched Edge Lofts and the Corktown buildings rise and it's the same story over and over again. That said, their buildings certainly are above average architecturally.

Well thank god that one didn't go forward. Taking a glance at the application document I was reminded of University Plaza - I am sure they will rework it considerably if not dump those plans. Nonetheless, Streetcar still has a lot of work ahead of it with the Phase 2 building of Corktown District which has't even been started yet.

Not to rain on your parade but Streetcar Dev'ts is very, very fond of drywall inside their buildings. The only concrete you'll find is for the outer four walls and the floorplates. Also, workmanship can be quite shoddy. I've watched Edge Lofts and the Corktown buildings rise and it's the same story over and over again. That said, their buildings certainly are above average architecturally.

Yeah, I'm well aware of Streetcar's drywall and workmanship issues. I have no interest in buying, but since I pass the site on my commute, I decided to register to see what kind of info I could get to provide to the forum.

This article appeared in the Toronto Star today. Unsure if the condo mentioned is Sync Lofts, but that's my guess.

Building on optimism over condos - Toronto Star. February 5, 2010.

Jeanhy Shim is busy with the final details of a condominium project she is launching later this month.

The final pricing and size of the suites still have to be determined on the $30 million midrise building on the east side of Toronto.

"We still obviously have a lot of confidence in the market," said Shim, a vice-president at boutique condominium developer Streetcar Developments Inc. "I think there is still demand for unique, quality projects out there."

Other condominium developers in the Toronto area seem to share Shim's optimism.

According to figures released by Statistics Canada Thursday, developers were busy in December, taking almost $1.2 billion worth of building permits in the Toronto area, up by 15 per cent from a month earlier.

Much of that increase was due to condominium building and non-residential permits such as commercial and institutional development, while low interest rates, first- time buyer demand and the fashionable lure of downtown living have lifted sales.

Streetcar's most recent project, a 54-unit condo beside the Gladstone Hotel in the Queen West neighbourhood, sold out when it went on sale in October.

Buoyed by those sales, Shim plans to launch Streetcar's new 97-unit, eight-storey development in the city's east end by the end of February. And she isn't worried by the prospect of a deluge of new condos competing with her project, because buyers "want something distinctive."

However, the developer says she is looking closely at interest rates and the impact of the Harmonized Sales Tax later this year.

"No one knows exactly how this will impact the industry, but the bigger issue is interest rates," said Shim.

Higher interest rates would affect first-time buyers, but even if interest rates did go up, they would still be close to historical lows, the developer said.

Affordability has become an issue in the Toronto market as prices creep up.

Residential permits were down in the bellwether single-detached sector as some buyers are priced out of the market.

The condominium market remained strong. Multiple dwelling permits such as condos and apartment buildings were up 30 per cent in December from a month earlier.

According to Statistics Canada, commercial and institutional building intentions were up significantly in the Toronto market, suggesting that the corporate sector is preparing for a rebound.

Building permits were also up by 7.8 per cent from the prior December. Year over year, however, building permits in the Toronto area were down in 2009 by 16.5 per cent over the prior year, showing the effects of the recession.

The market is still being driven by first-time buyers and by investors. But Shim says she is noticing that larger condominiums, particularly two-bedroom units, are picking up in popularity as more mature condo buyers move up.

Meanwhile, the down-market move of retirees and seniors who may be buying more upscale product seems to be slowing down, said Shim.

"These are the more cautious buyers who may have been hit hard on their stock market or mutual fund savings, as opposed to the 25-year-old first-time buyer who is just starting out," said Shim.

Does anyone know and / or live in a Streetcar product? how is it re: noise, durability and quality?

Rendering of SYNC

Warning - i flop harder than Sapphire Tower when it comes to uploading pics on the Forum...they never seem to work. Anyhow, here we go:
SYNC.jpg

Not to rain on your parade but Streetcar Dev'ts is very, very fond of drywall inside their buildings. The only concrete you'll find is for the outer four walls and the floorplates.

I think there are very few builders/developers who don't use drywall inside their buildings. My previous condo was built that way (Kings Court) and I never had sound issues. Now live across the street from Printing Factory Lofts and drywall is all that separate those units. Unless you're in a condo that has bare concrete walls as a "design" feature (eg. East Lofts), drywall is what you get.

Back