News   Mar 28, 2024
 281     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 645     0 

Markville Renovations and Retail Thread

canarob

Member Bio
Reaction score
Cadillac Fairview have set up a website for this project here: http://www.transformingmarkville.ca/

This is essentially just a renovation to make the mall look more current and attract new tenants.

In the fly-through rendering, it shows towers at the corners of the properties, so perhaps there is some long-term plan for intensification?

Cadillac Fairview have set up a website for this project here: http://www.transformingmarkville.ca/

This is essentially just a renovation to make the mall look more current and attract new tenants.

In the fly-through rendering, it shows towers at the corners of the properties, so perhaps there is some long-term plan for intensification?

Markville's interior is very similar to Erin Mills', so hopefully they'll be renovating Erin Mills soon. It turned 20 last year.

Looks like the 'river' and fountains are going to be removed, unless the renderings just doesn't show them. I'm going to miss them, especially the neat 'river'. Looks like the trend now is to not include or maintain water features. I wonder if this has to do with cost.

Markville in line for $111M makeover

Extreme makeover. Markville Shopping Centre will undergo some changes as its owners try to remain competitive with other area malls.

A $111-million Markville Shopping Centre redevelopment is under way and you can expect retail store turnover due to “enormous†competitive pressure, according to a mall representative.

While he said he can’t speak for the future, Finley McEwen, senior vice-president of development for Cadillac Fairview, said the company needs to upgrade Markville mall immediately to make room for new retailers from the United States and overseas in order to keep up with competitors in the market.

“We have to proceed as quickly as possible. We can’t wait any longer on this,†Mr. McEwen said.

The redevelopment has been in the works for two years and Mr. McEwen said they have “lost a few battles†during this time in that a number of retailers have gone to Upper Canada Mall, Scarborough Town Centre or Yorkdale Shopping Centre. He said they hope to start actual work on the 1.4-million sq.-ft. mall as soon as possible.

Aside from store changes and shuffling — for example, Shoppers Drug Mart will move in where Goodlife Fitness is located — the project’s designer said the focus at the moment is to upgrade entrances with an “edgy†concept. Peter Peltekoff of Petroff Partnership Architects said glass railings are proposed for the upper level and the centre court area will be enhanced with lighting features, among others.
The food court will be relocated to the lower level by Sears and the space on the upper level will be turned into retail spaces.

Councillor Valerie Burke expressed concerns for visually impaired shoppers who may have trouble seeing the glass railings. Ms Burke “highly†recommended the project team consult with the town’s accessibility guidelines and also develop the mall in accordance to bird-friendly guidelines.

Councillor Logan Kanapathi likened the preview of the new mall to the recently redeveloped Fairview Mall, which is smaller than Markville in size and came at a cost of $95 million. Councillor Don Hamilton said merchants on Main Street Unionville are “very excited†about the project as it improves an existing old building in the area. “Itâ™s going to be a showplace,†he said.

Rumoured new tenants: Coach, Michael Kors, Forever 21, Zara, Urban Planet, Jack n Jones, Aritzia, Jack Astors and J Crew.

No idea if there is any truth to this, but I've always thought Markville was too low end given it's located in one of the more affluent parts of the GTA, so here's hoping the renovations take things up a notch.

Looks like the 'river' and fountains are going to be removed, unless the renderings just doesn't show them. I'm going to miss them, especially the neat 'river'. Looks like the trend now is to not include or maintain water features. I wonder if this has to do with cost.

When it comes to mall-retail efficiency, river = gravy. (Yeah, I'm exporting a municipal 416 term to the private-enterprise 905; so what)

Rumoured new tenants: Coach, Michael Kors, Forever 21, Zara, Urban Planet, Jack n Jones, Aritzia, Jack Astors and J Crew.

No idea if there is any truth to this, but I've always thought Markville was too low end given it's located in one of the more affluent parts of the GTA, so here's hoping the renovations take things up a notch.

I hope to see an Apple Store!

Wow, looks like everything is boarded up! Are other parts of the mall like this, or just sections of the mall?

The rivers are gone:

u4wcp.jpg

Photo: @DeepBlade on twitter

a lady yelled at me when I was young enough to be in kindergarden at this mall because I was in the water grabbing pennies. Thats a random memory.

Back