News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Wi-Fi service underground

noctis

Member Bio
Reaction score
i apologize if this topic has been posted before, but i thought i bring it up and hear what you guys have to say about this. a while ago i heard on the news and even saw on newspapers that one the plans in the future for the ttc was to have wi-fi service in the tunnel. this means that passengers would be able to use cell phones, browse the net, or do whatever underground. i was just wondering, has this been confirmed? are there any updates about this issue? i mean if there is then that would be pretty sweet. to be able to talk on the phone and use the net underground is very convenient imo...

I think you mean cellular coverage - WiFi wouldn't really let you talk on the phone. They just did a pre-qual for this - so they should be tendering the actual contract soon hopefully.

oh i see. so there is something like this going around right? i thought i was day dreaming...thanks for the response!

Damn, one of the last places of peace and refuge that we had without people nattering on about useless crap on their phones.

agreed. there are lots of people who simply just want to have a peaceful subway ride from point a to b. so i respect that fully. personally it doesnt really matter to me whether there is wireless or not on trains...we have a home and our office for that.

In Northern Kentucky, TANK (Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky) installed Wi-Fi service on all buses and reported an increase in ridership since many people travelling to Cincinnati to work would normally drive (lets say for 20mins) so that they could be productive at work by arriving faster than taking the transit. Since the implementation of wi-fi many have migrated to using transit since they can be productive on their 30-40 minute commute to work.

I'm all for it (and cell service). The argument of not wanting to hear other people's conversations is not convincing to me. If you were in an emergency you would want it. Its not like every single person on the subway will be talking on the phone (also texting is so much more efficient and quieter too). Is it problematic when someone is talking to their relative/friend while on the subway in the seats beside you?

peace and refuge in a public place? really?

How about: you're only allowed to do phone calls from the back of the train / bus?

The biggest benefit of cell service is the ability to use data, not voice IMO... reading the newspaper, playing a game online, and most importantly posting on Urban Toronto

It'll be good for TTC service advisories as well, which are sent via SMS or Twitter or whatever. Riders will actually know what's going on without having to struggle to understand announcements over the PA.

to be honest, this topic can go both ways. shud wireless service be installed, people may take advantage and misuse it. if it was used the right way like GraphicMatt was saying then sure why not install it. thats what i think...but seriously though, why would you wana play online games on the TTC? lol i just think it's stupid...

I think there is a potential revenue opportunity for the TTC here....if they could (I am not a techy so I do not even know if this is possible) sell the right to set this up to a provider and make it exclusive to their "stuff" surely someone would pay big for that?

so they go to RIM and say, set up your wireless network and bbm's down there, don't have to make iphones or google phones work...just your b'berries....how much would rim pay for a built in, underground, incentive for people to ditch their iphones and come back to b'berries!

Giving one provider exclusivity is bad optics for a public utility. Let every cell phone company that's interested pay the price of installation.

Might be bad optics but good economics......exclusivity has a value and if the ttc could (and was willing) to offer exclusivity they could likely get more money from one provider/company than they could get from all of them.

Do any of the cell-phone providers use wi-fi for phonecalls? My blackberry does everything except allow for phonecalls when I set it to wi-fi only.

If you download a VOIP app, you can make phonecalls over wi-fi. Most smartphones can do this with the right apps.

Back