Toronto 10 Ordnance Park | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | DTAH

Mike in TO

Member Bio
Reaction score
A report to the Toronto & East York Community Council recommends staff initiate a rezoning for 10 Ordnance Street to re-designate the site from industrial to parkland. The site is currently used for a parking lot.

Last edited:
Wonder if this is related to the Fort York Pedestrian Bridge work?

I guess not....maybe its time to delete this thread or merge it with 30 Ordnance

10 ORDNANCE ST
OPA / Rezoning 12 230482 STE 19 OZ Ward 19
- Tor & E.York Aug 16, 2012 --- --- --- Phipps, Sarah
(416) 392-7622
Rezoning Application to permitt construction of 2 mixed use buildings with 3 towers - Aprox 1109 Units

Last edited:
They should call this one Abattoir Condos. I would find it difficult living that close to the slaughterhouse. On a hot day you can smell it 5 blocks in every direction, and on a quiet morning you can hear squeals of pigs. Don't get me wrong, i love me some bacon, but that place depresses me. Also, they should really get rid of that street-level rail crossing on Strachan before trying to add density to an island in the middle of the tracks.

They should call this one Abattoir Condos. I would find it difficult living that close to the slaughterhouse. On a hot day you can smell it 5 blocks in every direction, and on a quiet morning you can hear squeals of pigs. Don't get me wrong, i love me some bacon, but that place depresses me.

you've made your bed now lie in it bacon lover. if the Abattoir depresses YOU how do you think the pigs feel?!

you've made your bed now lie in it bacon lover. if the Abattoir depresses YOU how do you think the pigs feel?!

Honored to be the reason you crawled out of your beaver dam for the 5th time ever.

I was a vegetarian for most of my childhood so I will eat all the bacon I want thank you. Although supporting the meat industry may not be the right thing to do, it is the practical thing. We are omnivores, sad but true. Ever try putting a cat on a vegan diet? Not eating meat is like boycotting products made in China because of their countless human rights violations. Sure it would be the morally perfect thing to do, but it just isn't practical. Animals will always be bred for food: what needs to be changed is how they are bred, raised and slaughtered, and the overall quality of life of the animal.

now lets try to get back on track

Honored to be the reason you crawled out of your beaver dam for the 5th time ever.

I was a vegetarian for most of my childhood so I will eat all the bacon I want thank you. Although supporting the meat industry may not be the right thing to do, it is the practical thing. We are omnivores, sad but true. Ever try putting a cat on a vegan diet? Not eating meat is like boycotting products made in China because of their countless human rights violations. Sure it would be the morally perfect thing to do, but it just isn't practical. Animals will always be bred for food: what needs to be changed is how they are bred, raised and slaughtered, and the overall quality of life of the animal.

I'll make a very quick post and move on:

As a biologist very familiar with the arguments for meat-eating, I would argue that eating meat is actually only slightly relevant for humans at early ages and arguably at advanced ages. Our ancestors were mostly vegetarian for many millions of years, and we haven't lost the ability to develop and live very well without eating any meat.

On to the topic at hand:

I also don't understand who'd want to live so close to a slaughterhouse.

That's a lame rationale bacon lover. The meat industry is not "practical" - it's the leading cause of global warming, environmental pollution and it's unhealthy for both humans and animals. Go ahead and eat all the bacon you want but complaining about the smell and depressing atmosphere of the abattoir is simply hypocritical.

The abattoir smells better than many Toronto streets. The Queen & Lansdowne corner for example on a sweltering hot day has a distinctly human urine stench.

Bacon is fine occassionally, perhaps twice a year. If it's organic nitrate free blah blah blah.

Back on topic: Let's name this park the Peameal Bacon Park. That's rasher'inal.

Last edited:
Go ahead and eat all the bacon you want but complaining about the smell and depressing atmosphere of the abattoir is simply hypocritical.
I will keep that in mind this week as I bypass the depressing slaughterhouse to go eat bacon, ribs and hamburgers at the Ex! FYI: I don't eat foie gras or veal for moral reasons. Not everyone is going to think like you busybeaver. Calling me hypocritical for recognizing the horrors of the meat industry while continuing to eat meat doesnt really do much to change me back into a vegetarian....and referring to me simply as "bacon lover" isn't helping your cause much either. Talking down to someone because of what they eat says a lot about ones character.
it's the leading cause of global warming, environmental pollution
No it is the leading cause of methane and no2 emissions, certainly not the leading cause of global warming and environmental pollution on a global scale
it's unhealthy for both humans and animals
It is unhealthy for humans if they eat too much of it, and as for animals, it is only unhealthy to the ones which are being slaughtered, which I agree isn't right. As for other animals, if you put a carnivore on a tofu diet you shouldnt be allowed around animals.

As for not wanting to live near a slaughterhouse, you shouldnt be deemed a hypocrite for not wanting to be around that just because you include meat in your diet.

That's a lame rationale bacon lover. The meat industry is not "practical" - it's the leading cause of global warming, environmental pollution and it's unhealthy for both humans and animals. Go ahead and eat all the bacon you want but complaining about the smell and depressing atmosphere of the abattoir is simply hypocritical.

Go post here. Someone might care.

No it is the leading cause of methane and no2 emissions, certainly not the leading cause of global warming and environmental pollution on a global scale

“Livestock are one of the most significant contributors to today’s most serious environmental problems,†senior UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) official Henning Steinfeld said.
http://bit.ly/bhTPEh

enough said. back on topic please.

They should call this one Abattoir Condos. I would find it difficult living that close to the slaughterhouse. On a hot day you can smell it 5 blocks in every direction, and on a quiet morning you can hear squeals of pigs. .

Funny that the Toronto Abattoir is just as close or closer to the King-West/Bathurst/Front street developments, with winds here in Toronto usually having a pattern of a blowing from the west-east...my take is, it always smells worst towards Bathurst.

Sorry to get a bit of topic
Tecumseth Street abattoir: newer residents smell disgust, long-timers accept the whiff
http://gleanernews.ca/index.php/201...s-smell-disgust-long-timers-accept-the-whiff/
http://goo.gl/maps/FOdmK

Back