News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.2K     3 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 728     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

LowPolygon

Member Bio
Reaction score
there's no particular purpose to this thread. its just that i keep coming across images of Toronto that i find evocative, moving, or fascinating in some way i and wanted to compile them. some of them i find to be just highly interesting.

there are many reasons why certain photographs provoke an emotional reaction. you can look at 100 photographs of more or less the same thing, and there might be just one that is totally fantastic. its not even always clear what makes an amazing image, but there has to be some fortuitous combination of things: the light, the time of day, the angle, the actual date, the subject itself, a particular look, person, detail, whatever....

most of these images are not necessarily directly related to architecture, but they are nonetheless directly related to the place that Toronto was.

bakingpowder.jpg

s0372_ss0001_it0350.jpg

s0372_ss0041_it0051.jpg

f1231_it2199.jpg

foresthill.jpg

casaloma.jpg

f1231_it1491.jpg

church.jpg

sign.jpg

f1231_it0840.jpg

s0372_ss0100_it0183.jpg

f1231_it0496.jpg

arrow.jpg

garden.jpg

f1231_it1663.jpg

s0372_ss0052_it1589.jpg

s0376_fl0001_it0090b.jpg

f1244_it2373.jpg

standrewsmarket.jpg

standrewsmarket2.jpg

pantsign.jpg

skull.jpg

mushrooms.jpg

oldwoman.jpg

johnadelaide.jpg

oldunionstation.jpg

Very interesting thread deepend, thanks. I know what you mean about 'some photos' that get to you. Usually I find it's photos with a very simple subject matter, like the one below.

s0372_ss0041_it0051.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Considering their financial problems I wonder if Canada Post might consider reviving this practice of a multi purpose mailbox unit that incorporates advertising. Could work if designed right.

f1231_it1491.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, deepend, for the photos. Here are a few more that have the same effect on me:

The famous diving horse at Hanlan's:

The_diving_horse_at_Hanlan27s_Po-1.jpg

Yonge Street (note the bearded chap staring right at the camera):

Yonge_Street_crowd_celebrating_t-1.jpg

Troops departing for WWI at the foot of Yonge Street:

Crowds_as_soldiers_leave_Union_S-1.jpg

Building the Bloor Street Viaduct:

viaduct.jpg

Concession booth at Hanlan's:

Concession_stand_at_Hanlans_Poin-1.jpg

Eaton's (I believe for the Coronation of Elizabeth II):

28631_royal_carriage_1020-2.jpg

Celebrating the end of the war in Europe at King & Bay:

VEday-1.jpg
Royal visit at King & York (Globe & Mail Building behind):
globebuilding-2-1.jpg

very interesting thread deepend, thanks. I know what you mean about 'some photos' that get to you. Usually i find it's photos with a very simple subject matter, like the one below.

s0372_ss0041_it0051.jpg

thank you! I love that one as well...the small figure of the young woman leaning against the massive walls of city hall, and staring across the street at the ramshackle buildings of the ward....

thank you! I love that one as well...the small figure of the young woman leaning against the massive walls of city hall, and staring across the street at the ramshackle buildings of the ward....

Is she staring across the street, or to her left? (If the latter, the banal "replica situation" today might be someone waiting for the Bay bus.)

Is she staring across the street, or to her left? (If the latter, the banal "replica situation" today might be someone waiting for the Bay bus.)

you're right she is looking down towards Queen st, so its entirely possible she is waiting for the bus! although i reckon she might be dressed a bit better if she was heading uptown. i sort of imagined a more vagrant or indolent kind of energy to the figure; its easy to see a single female figure leaning idly against a building as suggestive of easy virtue....

Alone at the Hall

Like some other viewers, I too, am fond of that image of the lone woman at City Hall.
Here's another lonely person at City Hall (attached):

Attachments

• s0372_ss0041_it0051.jpg
    s0372_ss0041_it0051.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2,374
  • Alone at City Hall.jpg
    Alone at City Hall.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,431
Like some other viewers, I too, am fond of that image of the lone woman at City Hall.
Here's another lonely person at City Hall (attached):

AloneatCityHall.jpg

very nice Goldie--your figure is even more dwarfed by the architecture. its amazing how futuristic New City Hall still looks! its also interesting that the figure in your photograph is literally right across the road from where the lone woman stood--several decades earlier...

that's a good theme...even the streets of small provincial cities like Toronto looked beguiling and noirish once electrical lighting was installed!

not surprisingly, there are only a smattering of vintage night shots of Toronto, as the long exposures required for shooting at night meant that they were hard to pull off. also, its a certainty that there were just far fewer people taking photographs in the evening.

on the other hand, many of the best ones often have interesting light effects precisely because of the long exposures required.

f1244_it2017a.jpg

f1244_it2017b.jpg

f1257_s1057_it5687.jpg

f1244_it7063.jpg

f1257_s1057_it5686.jpg

s0372_ss0100_it0691.jpg

f1257_s1057_it5225.jpg

f1244_it7250.jpg

thedeepend, great night time CNE pictures.

The various war related pictures at the Toronto Archives are evocative; sometimes you can 'caption' them yourself, if one is in the mood. This one is of Gloria Swanson.

f1257_s1057_it4331.jpg

The various war related pictures at the Toronto Archives are evocative; sometimes you can 'caption' them yourself, if one is in the mood. This one is of Gloria Swanson.

f1257_s1057_it4331.jpg

wow--"Miss Canada"? she was more or less retired then, and would have been semi-forgotten as she didn't do all that much after the mid-30's.

on the other hand, she is only 5 years or so away from the role of a lifetime!

sunset-boulevard_01.jpg

Great find with the Swanson pic, deepend! Given the title of the thread, there is nothing more evocative of the past than seeing Hollywood stars in Toronto locations:

Toronto's own Mary Pickford:

At Union Station with Douglas Fairbanks, 1926:
pickfordunionstation.jpg

At City Hall, late 30's:
pickford-1.jpg

At Varsity Stadium:
pickford2.jpg

Sterling Hayden 1942:
sterlinghayden.jpg

Spencer Tracy with the poppy girl:
spencertracy.jpg

Roy Rogers at Sick Kids, late 50's: