UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
CTBUH Hosts Tour Through Lanterra's Ice Condominiums
ALSO
Page 95 of 188 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 2811

Thread: Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Many of the photos of the R100's visit to Toronto were faked - the R100 was superimposed into the sky.

Wonder if this was one of the fakes ?????
    Or these?

These two are listed as "composites":

Last edited by thecharioteer; 2011-Sep-05 at 22:54.

The 2nd & the last one look fake. Judging by all the people on the rooftops, the others look real.

Quote Originally Posted by androiduk View Post
    The 2nd & the last one look fake. Judging by all the people on the rooftops, the others look real.
    I certainly agree, androiduk. They don't pass the "photoshop" test!

In those days it was literally, 'cut & paste.'

My father shot this parade during the 1920s - I think it's crossing the Danforth/Bloor Viaduct.

5. Default

Wow those floats sure look elaborate.

This is Yonge looking north, just south of Wellington. (CORRECTED) - date unknown.

Last edited by Goldie; 2011-Sep-08 at 03:29. Reason: correction
    Goldie

7. Default

It's Yonge looking north, just south of Wellington. Was this one of your dad's pics, Goldie?

Quote Originally Posted by thecharioteer View Post
    It's Yonge looking north, just south of Wellington. Was this one of your dad's pics, Goldie?
    Yes it was - I've been scanning some of his 4x6 negatives from the old Kodak Autographic camera.
    Thanks for the info.

Royal visit at King & York (Globe & Mail Building behind):
    I know this picture is from the first page of the thread..and someone has probably already had this exact same mini-rant....but being the only decent picture i have seen of this building, im stunned.... Its just as stunning as the Toronto Star building was. I LOVE tall buildings but its a damn shame that the globe and star buildings....the 2 finest office buildings in toronto history IMO (both tied with commerce court north) were both knocked down for the fcp complex. Dont get me wrong i love FCP and the exchange tower. 298 meters plus another 146 is hard to argue with, but its too bad the facades werent preserved at least...
    Images are not to be reprinted, reposted or used for any purposes whatsoever outside of the Urban Toronto forum without my express consent. Contact me via the following:

Website - Flickr Photostream - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by someMidTowner View Post
    ..................... its too bad the facades werent preserved at least...
    A few of the sculptural panels from the old Globe Building (see attached) have been preserved and are on display at the Guild Inn.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A few of the sculptural panels from the old Globe Building (see attached) have been preserved and are on display at the Guild Inn.
    Yes I remember reading that on wiki. The sculptural panels were indeed preserved but the streamline-moderne/art-deco Facade should have been preserved as a whole.... I cant blame them though, it was the 70's and i guess the optimism of a project of such magnitude (FCP and exchange tower) stopped the naysayers from having much impact
    Last edited by someMidTowner; 2011-Sep-08 at 19:56.
    Images are not to be reprinted, reposted or used for any purposes whatsoever outside of the Urban Toronto forum without my express consent. Contact me via the following:

Website - Flickr Photostream - Twitter

12. Default

Here's the original rendering. Perhaps the new G & M building to be built at Spadina and Front amy want to re-create this?

Here's the original rendering. Perhaps the new G & M building to be built at Spadina and Front amy want to re-create this?
    I hope so, but I bet it'll be another glass cube.

14. Default

I went over my monthly bandwith limit with Photobucket now my photo's don't show up here , all I can see is upgrade to Pro. I'm too cheap. Any help.
    Last edited by brewster; 2011-Sep-11 at 12:40.