News   Mar 28, 2024
 551     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 356     0 

wellesley & sherbourne area...how is it

just1time

Member Bio
Reaction score
My estate agent has shown me some listing at this intersection. it is close to the wellesley hospital. how is this area?
is it ghetto, ok, rich, poor, crackheads?

^ Wellesley Hospital used to be at the corner of Sherbourne & Wellesley but was torn down and replaced by condos, etc. This neighbourhood has everything you mentioned. Affluent houses on the sidestreets of Cabbagetown, new condos and townhomes for middle income folks and St. Jamestown which has traditionally housed more modest income people and new immigrants. And yes there are some crack houses mixed in as well. These are generalizations of course but fairly close to the reality. If the crime rate in the immediate neighbourhood is higher here it's probably due to the density rather than the type of residents. This is the most densely inhabited area of the city.

I lived at Sherbourne at Isabella years ago and loved it there. Everything was within walking distance and you truly get a sense of being in a dense urban centre. You'll see everything (good and bad) and hear everything (good and bad). The further south you go on Sherbourne though the picture starts to change dramatically.

The Toronto star did a wonderful article recently on Sherbourne Street. It's here.

Is it Verve that you're looking at? Is so, I'd go for it.

I think it is an up and coming neighbourhood, but when and if. It is really close to everything good and bad. I am not a huge fan of St. James town, but i notice prices are much more reasonable than most places dt.

I have a friend who lives in a beautiful house on homewood and have noticed that a lot of houses have been rennovated which tells me that there is money to be made here.
I used to work near sherbourne and dundas, which is an area you want to say away from. I think it is a good pocket but really nothing immediately within walking distance. I also don't get a community feel when i am there which is one of the reasons i would not look for a anything here.

But it is up and coming which could take 1 to even 10 years to develop, and sometimes not develop to the hype it once had.

I live in the general area, and it's already improved immensely in the last three or four years. I doubt it's ever going to be a hot address, but you get so much more value for your dollar around here that I can deal with passing the occasional hooker or crackhead on my way home at night (both of which are becoming increasingly uncommon)

few places in the city will change more in the next couple of years. when you have 1000's of people paying property taxes on new shiny condos, the city listens. in addition to the condo developments, we need to share the love, spread out the social housing and shelters throughout the city instead of lumping them into one neighbourhood.

spread out the social housing and shelters throughout the city instead of lumping them into one neighbourhood.
I vote for Bridle Path. There are a couple of very large lots there which are sitting empty, and are served by public transit.

If you avoid any all places with high profile murders, you're never going to be able to live anywhere.

And if you're not involved in gangs or drugs, the odds of being the victim of a high-profile murder are incredibly small.

Back