516     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 334     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 347     0 

Switzerland Minarets Laws

SVP%20anti-minaret%20poster.jpg

Ouch.

I don't like Arab sheiks and their ill-gotten wealth, but I hope they withdraw their many billions from Swiss banks until the country becomes a laughingstock.

Kill two birds with one stone.

Maybe a few car bombs or a train or two. That should show 'em.

That's falling back on stereotypes. I hope they do suffer economically and in terms of tourism. Remember, this was a referendum. That means 57% of the country agrees with these racist laws.

I suppose the Swiss are watching their European brethren suffer with Muslim integration. Better to discourage now then feel the wrath later, just see UK, France and Germany. To be honest, I find Europeans to be the most racist and bigoted people on earth.

Your getting it all wrong - it is a "safety" issue :eek:

I suppose the Swiss are watching their European brethren suffer with Muslim integration. Better to discourage now then feel the wrath later, just see UK, France and Germany. To be honest, I find Europeans to be the most racist and bigoted people on earth.

Hmmm.... you do know that converting from Islam to another faith is punishable by death :eek:

Three cheers for direct democracy!

"The best argument against democracy is to spend 5 minutes with the average voter"
- Churchill

what a strange law.

i fail to see how this is racist though. it's more of a religious/cultural thing. if it truly was racism, they would be attacking in some way arab christians, north african christians, etc. people who come from the same regions of their muslim population but yet don't adhere to islam or islam related cultures.

it could be an attempt at racism by proxy but you can't know for sure. if one doesn't like the beatles, that doesn't mean they are racist against people from the U.K just because all the beatles happen to be from the U.K. maybe they just don't like the type of music they make, nothing to do with where they're from.

maybe they hate islamic architecture?

does not having minarets prevent muslims from living in a area or attending worship? what is the goal of this law?

Three cheers for direct democracy!

"The best argument against democracy is to spend 5 minutes with the average voter"
- Churchill

ironic that you quote churchill since he has compared islam to nazism.

Last edited:
The goal of the law is irrelevant. The damage it will do to relations with Muslims and Switzerland's global image is not. However insignificant this law was supposed to be, it's basically turned into legitimate bait for extremists.

The goal of the law is irrelevant. The damage it will do to relations with Muslims and Switzerland's global image is not. However insignificant this law was supposed to be, it's basically turned into legitimate bait for extremists.

you can say switzerland is starting to act like islamic states do.

there are islamic fundamentalists who immigrate to a country not to take part in it, but to spread islamic fundamentalism. they absolutely hate and despise the country they have immigrated to because of its liberal ways, it's freedoms, etc. and seek to change it to their ideal islamic state. i think switzerland was maybe trying to stick it to these folks but in the end has alienated its muslims who adhere to a moderate (watered down, like moderate christians) form of islam.

there are islamic fundamentalists who immigrate to a country not to take part in it, but to spread islamic fundamentalism. they absolutely hate and despise the country they have immigrated to because of its liberal ways, it's freedoms, etc. and seek to change it to their ideal islamic state. i think switzerland was maybe trying to stick it to these folks but in the end has alienated its muslims who adhere to a moderate (watered down, like moderate christians) form of islam.

They absolutely were trying to stick it to these folks, but this was the dumbest, most useless, most transparently xenophobic way to do it.

France could have banned hijabs from classrooms, but instead banned all religious symbols. This makes a lot more sense.

Important points:
- Other religions are allowed to put whatever they want on their temples (ie. Sikhs)
- The Swiss cabinet was opposed to this motion

Last edited:

Back