News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Leaside

Therion

Member Bio
Reaction score
I didn't find a thread using the search, thought I'd start one. Anyone else live here? My wife and I just moved here a couple of days ago. Liking the place so far.

Interesting pattern on the buses: in the morning, well dressed people and students take the buses to the subway. At the subway the bus fills up with Filippino women, who slowly disperse at the various stops. The order is reversed in the evening. Based on my time spent in Deer Park, Rosedale and now Leaside, I think Toronto pretty much sustains the Philippines' economy through remittances.

Based on my time spent in Deer Park, Rosedale
and now Leaside, I think Toronto pretty much sustains the Philippines' economy through remittances.

I became curious about this on reading your comments, so I googled it. From eyeballing the very comprehensive stats that the Philippines government publishes, it looks as though Canada is, indeed, the fifth-highest source for remittances on a source-country per capita basis -- only the four hubs, Saudi and UAE, and HK and Singaopore, generate more remittances per capita.

Leaside is a lovely and well established neighbourhood.

I don't live too far away at Yonge & Eglinton, but until I started running a trade show at Leaside Gardens Arena I had only drove through along Eglinton. Since spending more time driving through the residential streets, it's certainly a great neighbourhood to behold.

Of course, Bayview is a spectacular "downtown" for the neighbourhood with many nice cafes, bars, restaurants, and shops.

I live at Bayview and Eglinton and absolutely love the area. My wife and I are currently in a condo but we've already decided that when it comes time to start a family and get into a house, money permitting Leaside is where we want to be.

We were lucky to find a freehold townhouse here for under $500,000 (that wasn't a shoebox). Property values have shot through the roof here over the last 5-10 years. Anyone has any restaurant recommendations?

Nice area, but when looked in the area, I didn't like the prices. Medium sized lots with older detached houses with just OK finishings for a million bux.

BTW, back in 2007 I believe, a larger place a friend's relative was looking at went for $400000 over asking. :eek:

I like that Bayview strip in terms of aesthetics and feel, but actually have been a little underwhelmed by the quality of some of the restaurant food there. However, I do frequent The Bagel House, as the bagels do get somewhat close to the stuff you get in Montreal. Amaya isn't bad either.

Last edited:
Bayview is more the "high street" of Leaside, a shopping destination more than anything else. It's Mount Pleasant that has an inordinately high number of outstanding restaurants.

Yeah, Mount Pleasant has a fair number of restaurants, but it's not as "pretty" as Bayview IMO.

BTW, Celestin on Mount Pleasant is nice, but not worth the money IMO. I'd rather just go to a place like Herb's, but that's on Yonge.

Based on some posts on Chowhound, the Bayview restos definitely are not value-oriented (ie. price-to-performance ratio is not as high as other parts of the city). Mt. Pleasant has Wai-To-Heen (sp.?), which is an excellent high-end Chinese restaurant, though pricy. That's the only experience I have with eateries in this area so far... I'll report back as we try things.

Last edited:
The problem with Bayview is that several of the restaurants have worse food than say Queen Street, at higher cost.

So, it's not just that it's not value oriented, but sometimes the food is actually worse. Not sure why.

Then again, where I live, the lot sizes are much bigger, and the prices are lower, but the restaurants suck royally in general.

Bayview isn't a destination for fabulous restaurants. It's a vibrant environment in terms of being a fun strip in Leaside. You have everything in terms of cafes, pubs, shopping, and good (but not spectacular) restaurants, and of course Hollywood Gelato... a great place to spend a day on the weekend, especially during the summer, and just hang out and you can finish the day with a good meal there, but if it's fine dining you're looking for then your destination would then be Mt. Pleasant a short drive away.

Mt. Pleasant is less vibrant than Bayview, but is a charming little strip of great restaurants, antique shops, and one of Toronto's oldest independant theatres. Go to Mt. Pleasant for dinner and a show. Go to Bayview to just enjoy the day.

What are the plans for the old diesel train shed on Laird? There was a plan to put in a car dealership. Is this still going ahead? I recall the plan included a refurbishment of the old shed.

Hmmm... I couldn't fathom spending the day on that Bayview strip. An hour or two maybe, plus a meal.

Hmmm... I couldn't fathom spending the day on that Bayview strip. An hour or two maybe, plus a meal.

Absolutely.....there simply isn't enough to do to spend anywhere close to a full day along this strip (unless you just want to eat at all the fine restaurants). The area can be covered while casually walking in no more than an hour or so.

Back