News   Apr 18, 2024
 459     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     0 

Good Underrated Restaurants

genkav

Member Bio
Reaction score
To continue on the discussion of bad places to eat in the city, what are some of your favourite places to eat that don't get enough attention? Or, don't get the attention and recognition that the establishment deserves?

The House on Parliament - just south of Carlton (Have one of the daily specials)
Kom Jug Yuen - at Spadina and Nassau (BBQ pork on rice with ginger sauce - $4.25)(PROTIP: you have to ask for the ginger sauce, they don't just give it to you.)
Square Boy - on Danforth by Jones/Donlands (Chicken Souvlaki on a bun)
Mustachios - St. Lawrence Market (veal sammich)
Yung Sing Bakery - Baldwin Village (Curry beef bun)

EDIT: what's in the brackets are my recommendations for best house dish - all these places make a lot of good food

Last edited:
Biryani House (formerly Roy's Sq, now Hayden).

Possibly the tastiest Indian resto in the city and definitely the best value overall. Very cheap (main dishes are $8.50 - $10 including rice) and very, very good. None of the other cheap/midrange Indian places I've tried can hold a candle to them, though I haven't tried all of them.

I recall going to Biryani House a few years ago and wasn't impressed at all with the service. None of us had any interest in returning.

A La Turque, great food at good prices to eat in or take away. When you see taxi cabs parked out front you know your in for something special. I'm a regular so the guys in there always load up the beef or chicken dinner for me and they're pretty friendly. Open really late from about May to September, in the off months 'til about 1am Sunday to Thursday, 2-3am Fri. & Sat. Located on the west side of Church Street, just north of Wellesley. One caveat, don't go close to closing time, the meat isn't freshly cut from the skewer when they are getting ready to close.

I would add Sushi Time to the list, which I find quite affordable with great service - I'm just not sure it's underrated considering it's almost always rammed.

I recall going to Biryani House a few years ago and wasn't impressed at all with the service. None of us had any interest in returning.

The service can be spotty, depending on the waiter/owner's mood, but the food is always great. And most of the time, the service is just fine. Maybe it is because I'm a regular.

Also, there was another Biryani House on Wellesley that closed down, which gets confused with the one we're talking about a lot.

I would add Sushi Time to the list, which I find quite affordable with great service - I'm just not sure it's underrated considering it's almost always rammed.

Slightly off topic, beware of sushi places using Asian farmed fish (often Tuna) which is many of them. The high levels of toxins will kill you well before your time. Don't buy any fish products from Asia (Thailand, China etc.), or South America. Ask before being seated or ordering take away where the fish comes from, if they don't know walk away. They know. Same thing when buying from a store, check the packaging or if there is a fish counter ask where the fish comes from. If they don't know, suggest they find out and don't buy.

While doing a stress test at Women's College last month the Cardiologist got talking and told me some things which raised the hair's on the back of my neck. He also gave me a website to read and learn more:

www.seachoice.org (there's also a free iPhone/iPod app to carry with you as a reference)

Not in Toronto but if you're ever in Huntsville make sure you stop by Tall Trees. That is my favourite restaurant.

Back