News   May 24, 2024
 696     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 356     0 

TTC Next Train / Bus announcements

EFSF Jaburo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Actually, there's more than 13, that's from april! Vic Park, Main Street, Chester, Pape, Bathurst, Sherbourne, and a few more have them yet aren't on that list.

Also just about 2 weeks ago, they installed one in St. Clair, and ceiling slats at summerhill are being removed for the Screens. So it seems on track to me.

We have 1 month left and many important stations, like Sheppard/Yonge does NOT even have lcds installed?

There appears to be some gaps in the TTC system with regards to OneStop. The Sheppard Subway is one, and the Scarborough RT is another. The OneStop screens would have been useful in diverting Sheppard Subway passengers away from the Yonge line during last week's shutdown.

And when will we get this for Buses, like they have for VIVA

The Viva screens are an embarrassment. 90% of the time I'm on Viva the screens are turned off. On the rare occasions that they are turned on, half the time the screen is showing a Pizza Pizza ad, and the other half of the time it's news overload in small font plus some City of Vaughan propaganda.

I don't want to see TTC waste its money on this technology, and in the way that it's set up on Viva (but it seems like they already have with the "safety information screen" on the new Rocket trains).

The Viva screens are an embarrassment. 90% of the time I'm on Viva the screens are turned off. On the rare occasions that they are turned on, half the time the screen is showing a Pizza Pizza ad, and the other half of the time it's news overload in small font plus some City of Vaughan propaganda.

I don't want to see TTC waste its money on this technology, and in the way that it's set up on Viva (but it seems like they already have with the "safety information screen" on the new Rocket trains).

I think what he was referring to was, the Next bus arrival screens that are on the Viva ticket dispensers at bus stops, does anybody know when NTA will be put on bus stops?

Seriously? I've actually never seen any Pizza Pizza ads or Vaughan propaganda. I actually find the screens incredibly useful.

For reasons that I assume have to do with wiring complications (as surely the ridership made them prime targets), OneStop screens never sprouted on some of the University line stations---I'm pretty certain that at least Osgoode, St. Patrick and Queen's Park don't have them. Is that going to change anytime soon?

According to a YRT technician, functioning screens should be on all Viva buses by next year or end of this year. Bytemedia has the contract.

For reasons that I assume have to do with wiring complications (as surely the ridership made them prime targets), OneStop screens never sprouted on some of the University line stations---I'm pretty certain that at least Osgoode, St. Patrick and Queen's Park don't have them. Is that going to change anytime soon?

They ran into asbestos issues. Wiring some stations is very expensive.

That, and the second part of the contract/revenue (screens on trains) got taken away.

Actually, there's more than 13, that's from april! Vic Park, Main Street, Chester, Pape, Bathurst, Sherbourne, and a few more have them yet aren't on that list.

Also just about 2 weeks ago, they installed one in St. Clair, and ceiling slats at summerhill are being removed for the Screens. So it seems on track to me.

oh wow, I'll look for that this week.

The Sheppard Subway is one, and the Scarborough RT is another. The OneStop screens would have been useful in diverting Sheppard Subway passengers away from the Yonge line during last week's shutdown.

haha I meant the LED screens on the viva stops. I dont think TTC will be installing those anytime in the future on its bus stops but I recall an announcement for a project which will allow you to receive text alerts on your phone of where your next bus is.

I think sheppard line will be the very last to get the LCD screens, since its so short that the trains run on a regular schedule without delays. I meant Sheppard Station on the Yonge line - the station they forgot to prioritize for the LCD (being a transfer station and all).

Someone mentioned Queens park, st patrick. It will be interesting to see how the screens will be installed on the round ceilings.

And the new Rocket should have a screen more like this
A video showing Seoul Metro Line 9's screen. It shows the station you're at, next station, which side to exit, a nice 3-D map of the surroundings and which exit are closest to major landmarks, plus an overall map of the network.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2trfHWCDT0&feature=related

The Yamanote line in Tokyo shows the weather and an overview of the train with the location of the exits that are closest to each car (so you can move between the cars to save time) since new rocket is barrier free between cars, this would be really useful :D

To update/clarify a bunch of comments in here...

Osgoode and St. Clair have had screens and the next train info for a long time.
Summerhill's screens look fully installed now, but they are not turned on yet.
Still nothing at St. Patrick, Queen's Park, Davisville and Rosedale.

I also heard Giambrone make a passing reference to asbestos problems at some stations. I'm guessing this is what is the hold up at St. Patrick and Queen's Park as they were built in the prime asbestos using era and it is probably everywhere in there. However, they managed to get elevators installed at Queen's Park, so it's not unprecedented to tear up the place.

The bus shelter at Dundas and Spadina that had an LED display installed is still not in use.

Last edited:
I find them useless, because the subways are frequent enough. This technology really should be targetting streetcars and buses. Even if you have to call a number and enter the stop to get the info...

I find them useless, because the subways are frequent enough. This technology really should be targetting streetcars and buses. Even if you have to call a number and enter the stop to get the info...

I agree, but they can be used to communicate effectively when the next train is expected in the event of a delay or give instructions during a stoppage in service. However knowing the TTC that's when this service will be rendered useless.

I live up in Vaughan in a new subdivision (Dufferin and Rutherford) and I take the 105B (Dufferin North) TTC bus home everyday. It has stop display up until Rutherford but as I continue north into my neighbourhood, that suddenly stops.

This is troubling because I had missed my stop once because there was no warning. I worry that this may happen to others as well. Hopefully, when the neighbourhood is fully developed in a few years this problem will be fixed but until then, this is a concern for me and other riders.

Back