1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

TTC: Stations that Need Improvements

TTC12

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first topic, I was looking through many pages on te Transportation and Infrastructure forum, I found topics focused on a few specific stations.

If this topic has already been made feel free to ignore or erase it, just incase I missed a thread like this.

Basically here you say which TTC stations need major or minor improvements in any sort of way.

I've visited every station except the ones beyond High Park to Islington.

Here are stations I think need Improvements drastically:

Bloor-Yonge: I think Yonge is need of an overhaul, in my opinion it should've been the first modernization project. I know that since its the busiest station on the system, the project will impact the passangers, might cause delays etc and thats maybe why they didn't renovate it first. The tiles are in bad shape, especially towards the end of the eastbound platform, with water running through them, horrible black gump and such. The Ceiling slats are horrible... they collect every molecule of dust, they are bent, missing and stained. Perhaps they should fully be removed, and the ceiling painted, much like they did in King Staion. Um perhaps more drastict and complicated expand the station, or do something to improve passanger flow *cough*no*cough*stanchions*cough*please.

Sheppard-Yonge (YUS Platform): The wall slats are horrific! They don't match, some are white, some are beige, some are yellow, some are bright yellow. Did they really have to remove the original yellow tiles and put those metal slats? Finally; lighting needs to be improved, just compare with the Sheppard Platform upstairs.

Minor Improvements:

Kennedy (B-D Platform): Even though the wall slats are ugly, they seem to be in good condition. Lighting needs to be improved. I'm sure many people will agree that Kennedy is the worst lit station.

St. George: I had some points such as; broken tiles, and the Paul Arthur signs on the walls coming off. But the Station Appearance project has taken care of some of the issues.

Osgoode: Wall slats, hopefully they'll adopt the design being tested at St. Andrew, anything is better than what's on the walls now.

Lawrence: The walls at platform level need to be washed. You can really see every speck of dirt on them.

Please post whatever you think needs major or minor improvements. I love topics like these, or comment on the stations that i've mentioned.

Last edited:
I like this thread: while discussions about extending the transits are everywhere, only a pocketful of UT members have been mentioning about station revitalization.

Here's what I strongly recommend:

Islington - not really to do much with station platforms itself, but the concourses, and the bus terminals... it is too ghastly and so much of the signage are awful. This is the important hub for Sauga Transit and also used for connecting Islington and other bus routes. This is rather unwelcoming for commuters transferring between MT and TTC, as well as passengers within T.O. The ones at Sheppard and Finch looks much better, despite similar outdated look as Islington is itself

St. Patrick - Horribly aged, needs desperate modernizing from the platform to the entrance of the station. Looks more abominable than Queen's Park and Osgoode station, even though they were built in similar era. No OneStop, the wall advertising is just awful and misfitting.

Rosedale - Wall colours of the station is really disgusting, and the wall texture is feel worn off. Although distinct from other stations in aesthetics, it needs a facelift to more modern look.

Other stations suggested for improvements - Vic Park (in progress), Jane, Pape (supposed to be in progress), Harbourfront ferry docks (not a subway station, but a streetcar station), Spadina (YUS platform), Christie, Kipling and North York Centre.

Last edited:
I have to agree with St. Patrick, the signage is horrible too, especially the sandblasted ones. Rosedale, reminds of Kiwis, I rather like the Yellow-green scheme, but you're right, it does need more tweaking. Right now all thats happening is the removing of the concrete yellow lines and placing them with metal ones.

Keep those views and ideas coming, theres no flawless station. Downsview I think is almost flawless if it weren't for the Lowercase letters on the walls...

I have to agree with St. Patrick, the signage is horrible too, especially the sandblasted ones. Rosedale, reminds of Kiwis, I rather like the Yellow-green scheme, but you're right, it does need more tweaking. Right now all thats happening is the removing of the concrete yellow lines and placing them with metal ones.

Keep those views and ideas coming, theres no flawless station. Downsview I think is almost flawless if it weren't for the Lowercase letters on the walls...

All Sheppard lines stations are fine as well (except Shep-Yonge), and Museum is retrofitted last year, they should be counted out.
I still do not like Shep-Yonge on Sheppard platform though, it is incomplete.
One exception is Dupont, which somehow despite the horrible agings, I think that it is one of the "brightest" stations in YUS line.

All Sheppard lines stations are fine as well (except Shep-Yonge), and Museum is retrofitted last year, they should be counted out.
I still do not like Shep-Yonge on Sheppard platform though, it is incomplete.
One exception is Dupont, which somehow despite the horrible agings, I think that it is one of the "brightest" stations in YUS line.

I have to agree, sheppard line stations are fine. Only thing I hate, are the painted panels, with horriblely set type. I like that they Used the TTC font. Also the bare concrete wall doesn't dot it for me, I happen to like the tile look, it would be cool if new stations kept the tile look as a gesture to the past, but in some modern way.

Dupont happens to be another favourite station of mine, its really artistic with the round lights, wall incorporated benches, and beautiful flower mosaics! Hopefully the TTC voted against naming it Casa Loma.

Museum, I also liked the retrofit, although it was bad that they didn't finish the ceilings. The wall panels need some cleaning ;)

Dundas West needs an entrance/exit at the east end of the platform. Preferably one that connects directly with the GO train as well as a doorway to Bloor Street under the railway overpass.

As well, a crossover so that trains can use use Dundas West as a short turn in case of problems. That would allow passengers to transfer to the 504 King or 505 Dundas to get downtown. The crossover at Keele station has no routes that go downtown.

Dundas West needs an entrance/exit at the east end of the platform. Preferably one that connects directly with the GO train as well as a doorway to Bloor Street under the railway overpass.

As well, a crossover so that trains can use use Dundas West as a short turn in case of problems. That would allow passengers to transfer to the 504 King or 505 Dundas to get downtown. The crossover at Keele station has no routes that go downtown.

Ah, I've forgot the Dundas West, another important station in Blo-Danf line.
Christie needs second entrance from Clinton, and it is really frustrating to get to the station from Manning or Euclid without going through Bloor, a painful chore.

On top of that, I see that Dundas West needs three, or even four entrances to the subway. It is another important hub because it connects Dundas line streetcar, A Bloor st. bus route and most passengers make transfer from subway to lower-frequency bus services.

Last edited:

Maybe that entrance/exit at the east end of the platform will be built when the link to the airport is established

Maybe that entrance/exit at the east end of the platform will be built when the link to the airport is established

That is not really the reason, but it could be a boon to the airport link (as well as GO Georgetown line transfer). It is inconvenient to make entrance from the main terminal when passengers from opposite side of the terminal has to get there; and crossing the road isn`t gonna do better. Queen`s Park and St. Andrew all has more than two entrances, one from each side of the street.

I also suggest that a third entrance should be created from Bloor St to the subway as well.

St. Patrick - Horribly aged, needs desperate modernizing from the platform to the entrance of the station. Looks more abominable than Queen's Park and Osgoode station, even though they were built in similar era. No OneStop, the wall advertising is just awful and misfitting.
To me Queen's Park and St. Patrick would be fine if they got a real good scrub down. I loved the way Queen's Park's mez looked when new. Simple and shiny. If they could go back to that, the only modernizations I would like to see at Queen's Park and St. George are next train displays and updated CCTV.

Rosedale - Wall colours of the station is really disgusting, and the wall texture is feel worn off. Although distinct from other stations in aesthetics, it needs a facelift to more modern look.
If we can't go back to how it used to look, then I agree, modernize away. I don't know if someone thought the current tiles were posh, but they look quite, well, crap.

Hi everyone,
Sheppard-Yonge (YUS Platform): The wall slats are horrific! They don't match, some are white, some are beige, some are yellow, some are bright yellow. Did they really have to remove the original yellow tiles and put those metal slats? Finally; lighting needs to be improved, just compare with the Sheppard Platform upstairs.
Is it just me, or was Sheppard brighter before all that work done?

That is not really the reason, but it could be a boon to the airport link (as well as GO Georgetown line transfer). It is inconvenient to make entrance from the main terminal when passengers from opposite side of the terminal has to get there; and crossing the road isn`t gonna do better. Queen`s Park and St. Andrew all has more than two entrances, one from each side of the street.

I also suggest that a third entrance should be created from Bloor St to the subway as well.

Well of course that is not the real reason! I was just simply saying that TTC's thought process might follow that path

Last edited:
Warden Station

This station needs some major work, not just aesthitic ones, though important. Warden Station is a heavily used station that has the seperated bus platforms for each different bus route. Commuters have to walk up stairs then go down another set of stair to catch a connecting bus. I wish Warden Station had a shared platform for all the different bus routes to have their own place to dock, like Kennedy Station has and Scarborough Town Center has. Victoria Park Station used to have the inconvenient seperated bus platforms as well but they have demolished them and are presently constructing a shared bus platform that all the different bus routes will use. This shows me that the TTC cares about us commuters by improving our comfort when we are waiting for our connecting bus. VP stations reno's fall under the Station Modernization program and I just hope they find funds to modernize the more heavily used Warden Station.

Their was an article in the Toronto Star last year about the head of the Piccadilly line in London, England. And he was really impressed with the way some of Toronto Subway/bus stations are designed where the buses enter right into the station at a lot of connections. I am from Montreal, and have lived most of my life in Vancouver (where I got hooked on Transit) and now I live in Toronto, near Warden Station, and I am impressed with the design of a lot, not all, subway stations. The buses entering the stations is fantastic, instead of boarding on the street like I used to have to at most of Vancouver's stations. I know it is expensive, but I hope Toronto and the TTC still invest a lot in the stations. I think this kind of investment will make commuting even more popular because it is more comfortable then a lot of cities I have lived in and visited.

Back