News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Montreal: Canada's most American city?

kool maudit

Member Bio
Reaction score
riding through griffintown, the old port and up st. laurent this morning, i thought: i've had about enough of this "european" nonsense. montreal is canada's most american city, and here's why.

- the built form: it has a skyscraper core that is comprised of offices, not condos, which quickly tapers to flat-roofed rowhouses.

- it grew wealthy in the period between 1890-1930, and not in the postwar period.

- it suffered civil unrest in the late 1960s and early 1970s, which lead to a flight of capital.

- it's city governance is bloated, mob-run and corrupt (see: philadelphia, newark, baltimore)

i'll leave it at that for now since i'm working, but really -- i think it's about right. our only competition is winnipeg, really.

a parting shot:

glider11.jpg

oops, sorry -- here's the real one:

404960775_3016f72e99_o.jpg

Do me a favor, post picks of every other Canadian city, and it'll look just like that ... maybe less Vancouver / Toronto. But I can show you many shots of Toronto that give the exact same impression.

I always felt it was Canada's most Canadian city. Cities east of Winnipeg are post Canadian.

Last edited:
Only if you're speaking French while sipping French wine in an ersatz French-style cafe (in the summer only at least) all the while resenting those imperialist French bastards. Yes, maybe it is:D

Everytime I'm in Montreal I get this feeling as if I'm somewhere truly special. Old Montreal is beautiful in a way that only Quebec city can rival. It's clearly the most Euro-esque (sense of history, culture, attitude) major city in North America.

Everytime I'm in Montreal I get this feeling as if I'm somewhere truly special. Old Montreal is beautiful in a way that only Quebec city can rival. It's clearly the most Euro-esque (sense of history, culture, attitude) major city in North America.

I dunno. Make everyone in New York City speak French and then you might have the same impression.

kool maudit said:
- it's city governance is bloated, mob-run and corrupt (see: philadelphia, newark, baltimore)

American cities aren't the only ones with municipal governments with a history of corruption. Naples quickly comes to mind, letting the mafia take care of garbage collection. Also, plenty of cities boomed in the late nineteenth century, particularly those of the European imperial powers. 1968 was a big year of civil unrest throughout Europe. The built form is mostly North American, but the city makes a unique impression from other cities in North America (see below).

The Baroque architecture and monumental qualities of Mexico City makes it an easy rival. Culture doesn't define geography; Mexico City is a part of North America. But I agree that Montreal makes a great impression. It seems like rather than seeing the public realm through purely pragmatic terms an expression of pride is found in everything from the preserved Old City, to the wonderfully varied stations of the Metro, and a lot of the street furniture. They've made some key decisions to invest more in certain areas of the public realm which have paid off. These greater levels of investment are more associated with European cities and hence we get that impression because there is some imitation of French culture by those who seek to preserve the unique identity.

Montreal likes to convey a 'we're so Euro-cool French' image to the rest of anglo North America all the while hating the French. Montreal is a lovely city but there is nothing French about Montreal except language and illusion. Montrealers are basically North Americans with a heavy accent.

Funny. You say that as if it's a good thing.

Montreal likes to convey a 'we're so Euro-cool French' image to the rest of anglo North America all the while hating the French. Montreal is a lovely city but there is nothing French about Montreal except language and illusion. Montrealers are basically North Americans with a heavy accent.

i wouldn't say they hate the french. they are still one of the largest immigrant groups, and there are many french people here. i see your point, though, but it's resentfully phrased.

Not resentful, just tactless. like Quebecers show themselves so culturally sensitive to anybody else in Canada? That's rich.

Funny. You say that as if it's a good thing.

Oh it's a very good thing indeed. Rather than explore the overwhelmingly bland urban landscapes of cities like Winnipeg, Cleveland, <<insert most mid-large cities here>> one can visit Montreal for a truly refreshing take on North American culture. From my point of view the vibe is fantastic, the food blows Toronto's away, the night life is a huge step up from everything else and the shopping is great, everything I would want for a weekend visit. As for living there, well I wouldn't know as I've never done that.

Montrealers hate the French? Talk about a gross generalisation. That would be exactly like saying that Torontonians hate the British. Some of us have some problems with snob Parisians, but who doesn't on this planet, including non-Parisian French themselves?

Not resentful, just tactless. like Quebecers show themselves so culturally sensitive to anybody else in Canada? That's rich.

you are not able to get over your bitterness? please don't ruin the thread. i am not here to re-enact the petty canadian regional wars so routinely fed to us by the media.

Back