Toronto Westlake | 153.31m | 48s | Onni Group | P + S / IBI

2200 Lake Shore Blvd W & 10 Park Lawn Rd (Etobicoke, Onni Dev, 4x __s?)

Looks like the lands owned by Onni Developments south of the South Beach site will see condos built on them sooner than expected ~

Image source: posts in the South Beach thread

The Globe & Mail - Real Estate Section

Old school makes way for a more analytical approach
In condo marketing, a gut feeling is no longer enough
Terrence Belford
Published on Friday, Oct. 23, 2009 10:32AM EDT
Last updated on Friday, Oct. 23, 2009 11:19AM EDT

You may never have heard of Jane Renwick. Chances are, however, her name will become a lot more familiar if you follow the new homes market in the next few years.

Onni Group has a 40-year history in British Columbia's lower mainland as building everything from industrial warehouses to large master-planned communities. Two years ago it decided to diversify geographically and Toronto was its first choice.

The choice of Onni also seems to make great sense. The company has two large development sites in hand: One with room for five high-rise towers and 1,000 suites at Bathurst Street and Fort York Drive, just west of CityPlace. Ms. Renwick is now working on getting that as yet unnamed project ready for a March launch.

Its second task will be equally impressive – a project with 1,200 suites at Parklawn Avenue and Lakeshore Boulevard West in Etobicoke.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate/in-condo-marketing-a-gut-feeling-is-no-longer-enough/article1334381/

The Globe & Mail - Real Estate Section

Condo builder reprices
Vancouver developer rethinks the market

Terrence Belford

Published on Thursday, Oct. 08, 2009 12:00AM EDT
Last updated on Friday, Oct. 09, 2009 2:13AM EDT

To diversify geographically, Onni started planning two similarly downscale projects in Toronto on land it had acquired two years earlier near Bathurst Street and Fort York Boulevard and in Toronto south of High Park.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/condo-builder-reprices-onni-tips/article1316369/

It boggles my mind how this area will be able to handle all this future density!!! Lakeshore Blvd is already congested with traffic during rush hours.

I don't mind the density but come on, how many more high rises are they going to try to squeeze in on that little strip before they realise they have to do something to ease traffic?!

I hope the city is aware of this and have something in the works....

Thanks for listening to my rant!

Subject to a rendering that appeals; I'm all in favour of giving the area a more urban context.

BUT, there is a need for improved public transit, walking and cycling facilities in the area, right now, never mind with new development.

I walked the Waterfront Trail out in this area earlier this year.

And I elected to take the Park Lawn Bus up; on a Sunday afternoon service was every 30 minutes. The stop on Parklawn had no shelter; and for that matter no sidewalk leading to it!

Most of Park Lawn has no sidewalk on the east side from Lakeshore to Queensway; that's ridiculous! :mad:

To accommodate more development; they need to:

a) Add sidewalks and streetscaping to both sides of Parklawn from Lakeshore To Queensway

b) Add bike lanes on Park Lawn (w/o cutting traffic lanes, the ROW is wide, this is easy

c) Improve Parklawn bus service to every 15 min or better, all-times.

d) Improve Lakeshore Streetcar service.

e) Consider a new GO stop between Mimico & Exhibition to service this area.

f) Finished linking together the Mimico Waterfront Trail

g) Build the new Mimico Creek Bike Path.

Some people claim Mr. Christie's is here for the long run, but it seems obvious to me that once the crazy amount of towers currently under construction or approved are complete in this small area that they'll come under tremendous pressure to leave - and probably the Food Terminal as well, seeing how both of them take up a vast amount of land.

Hey Solaris, when do you think the earliest they could start building these condos would be? Would they have to wait untill Krafts lease expires [2014]? or before that?

caddyfleet ... it's unlikely that one would start building until an existing lease expires without paying a penalty to break the lease agreement ... however that doesn't preclude a developer to start the planning approvals and marketing/sales of a condo project for this site in the mean time ~

with respect to specific timing, unfortunately I have no insider knowledge ~

e) Consider a new GO stop between Mimico & Exhibition to service this area.

A new GO station at Park Lawn? I don't think so, seeing as Mimico station is only 8/10's of a mile west. By the time I’d have to stop again the train would have barely reached 40mph. Not exactly an efficient use of equipment that is intended to operate at 70-80mph.
Its either one or the other imo, though it would make sense to relocate the Mimico station to Park Lawn because of all this future density.

note: The closest two stops on the system are Mount Joy and Markham and those two are already a ridiculously close 1.15 miles apart. Though the difference is the maximum speed up there is only 40-50mph so thats fine, where as on the Lakeshore its 80mph+. Lets please not make any stops closer than that as the GO system is not a subway, its an inter-regional transportation system.

Last edited:
Regarding public transit in the area, improvements will allegedly be made. If I'm not mistaken the proposed waterfront west harbourfron LRT will essentially run right by the majority of the condo towers in the humber bay, park lawn & lakeshore area.

Vegeta: with some amount of hope, an electrified GO system with trains running on tracks that they own, will someday be more like Berlin's S-Bahn system, which is inter-regional, but which also has more frequent stops. As GO is about to improve the Mimico station I do not see much hope of that one ever being replaced by a Park Lawn station, but maybe someday both could exist. A Park Lawn station, if properly positioned, could connect with Prince Edward 66 buses, Queensway 80 buses, Queen 501 streetcars, Long Branch 508 streetcars, and the West Waterfront LRT: it could be a major transportation hub in this city, and it would be exactly the kind of thing needed to properly serve the large population that is currently moving into this area one building at a time. If GO, TTC and Metrolinx do not see it now, they will soon, as everyone eventually has to wash the egg off their face for a better view.

Finally, a little bit of news on this long-gestating project can be found here.

The quick upshot: 3 towers plus townhouses, tallest tower of 43 storeys will be released first this fall, and the name of the project is West Lake Village. The project will include 60,000 square feet of retail including a full service grocer.

Man, when all the area's projects are complete we're going to see downtown-esque density here.

Back