Toronto The Garrison at The Yards | ?m | 12s | Onni Group | Wallman Architects

MatrixElement

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sorry if there is already a thread for this, I wasn't sure where to put it. I noticed the following in a Globe and Mail real estate section article today:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate/in-condo-marketing-a-gut-feeling-is-no-longer-enough/article1334381/
Old school makes way for a more analytical approach
In condo marketing, a gut feeling is no longer enough
Terrence Belford
Published on Friday, Oct. 23, 2009 10:32AM EDT
Last updated on Friday, Oct. 23, 2009 11:19AM EDT

. . .

The choice of Onni also seems to make great sense. The company has two large development sites in hand: One with room for five high-rise towers and 1,000 suites at Bathurst Street and Fort York Drive, just west of CityPlace. Ms. Renwick is now working on getting that as yet unnamed project ready for a March launch.

Is this the next northern phase of West Harbour City? Or perhaps the lots just west and north of LTD? Or the Amsterdam Brewery lot north of Panorama?

Hmm, there is also a cryptic comment in this earlier article from a few weeks ago
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/condo-builder-reprices-onni-tips/article1316369/
Condo builder reprices
Vancouver developer rethinks the market
Terrence Belford
Special to The Globe and Mail
Published on Thursday, Oct. 08, 2009 12:00AM EDT
Last updated on Friday, Oct. 09, 2009 2:13AM EDT

To diversify geographically, Onni started planning two similarly downscale projects in Toronto on land it had acquired two years earlier near Bathurst Street and Fort York Boulevard and in Toronto south of High Park.

Last edited:
The site is located at 70 IANNUZZI STREET and is not associated with West Harbour City 3 which is located at 90 Sloping Sky Mews.

Thanks BMyers ... how did you find the info?

Could you clarify if both 70 Iannuzzi Street (block north of WHC4) AND 75 Iannuzzi Street (block north of LTD) have been sold by Wittington to Onni Developments?

If 90 Sloping Sky Mews (block north of WHC1) will be WHC 3, is it true that 65 Grand Magazine Street (block north of WHC2) will be WHC 4 ??

Thanks for reminding me of that Fort York Neighbourhood Context Map MaxtrixElement ~

Click to Enlarge

As I understand BMyers response, this site owned by Onni Developments should be the block of land at the northwest corner of Iannuzzi Street + Bruyeres Mews, being 70 Iannuzzi Street, immediately north of the future WHC4 site

Whereas the other site potentially also owned by Onni Developments is the block of land at the northeast corner of Iannuzzi Street + Bruyeres Mews, being 75 Iannuzzi Street, immediately north of the LTD site

In September 2007 the property known as 22 Bathurst was split into 4 parcels, one being sold to H & R / Lifetime / Lanterra which became part of Neptune 2 (block 2).

The second parcel is to the east bounded by Bastion, Sloping Sky Mews, Fort York and Grand Magazine and will be West Harbour City phases 3 & 4 (90 Sloping Sky Mews and an address on Grand Magazine - blocks 3 & 3A).

The third was sold to Malibu, which will be 20 Bathurst for their LTD site (block 6A).

The fourth was retained by Wittington and later sold to Onni, currently holding the addresses of 70, 75 & 95 Iannuzzi. These holdings include Block 4A which is bounded by Bruyeres Mews, Sloping Sky Mews, Grand Magazine and Iannuzzi, this block will have 1 building. Block 4 to the north of 4A, which will include 1 building. Block 6 to the east of block 4 (north of block 6A - LTD), which will include 2 buildings. The fifth building will be located in the triangular plot of land north of the Gardiner, west of Bathurst.

I think I got it down correctly!

Wow! Thanks for all this detail BMyers. So in conclusion, the newspaper remark seems to refer to Blocks 4, 4A, and 6 (including north of the Gardiner) collectively, and is neither West Harbour City nor LTD.

(For those following along at home, there is map of block numbers on the 17th pdf page (page 3-2) of the Fort York Neighbourhood Public Realm Plan (full document, pages 3-1 to 3-5 only, city website )

Rail Lands Blocks 4, 4A & 6 (ONNI, 10, 16 & 22, Wallman)

I searched a number of ways for this proposal and don't see it on the site, though it went to the Design Review Panel in May. Maybe it's buried in another thread somewhere? Anyways, a rather underwhelming project, and sent back for some work by the Design Review Panel, but here it is nonetheless.

Blocks46R1.jpg

This shows the location:
Blocks46Map.jpg

Last edited:
I thought this was River City when I first looked at it. I think it looks pretty decent. I would expect taller for this area though.

Fort York is across the street. Even so, it has decent height and density even if Fort York wasn't there.

"Underwhelming" is a perfect fit for Onni although I'm not complaining they are here. I just wish they'd concentrate more on suburban area intensification.

Thanks for locating all this info Archivist ~ Technically, this development is part of the Fort York Neighbourhood, rather than Railway Lands West

There's an existing thread for this project:

Onni Developments Fort York Neighbourhood Project

However, I think Archivist's thread name is more descriptive, perhaps MODs can refine it a bit?

Fort York: Blocks 4, 4A & 6 (Onni Dev, 22 + 16 + 10s, Wallman)

Back