Show headway time on route maps

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Could you tell the headway, or frequency, of these two routes:

030map.gif
510map.gif

Not likely. You would have to look it up.

It is Sunday afternoon, and the 510 Spadina is running with 2 to 4 minutes. Meantime, the 30 Lambton is running with a 30 minute headway.

Couldn't the TTC adjust the colours of the route maps to match the non-rush hour service? How about showing frequent service (10 minutes or better), slow service (15 to 20 minutes), and very slow service (greater than 25 minutes)? How about dimming the colours according to how slow the service headway is in the non-rush hour. In the above example, use a light pink coloured line for 30 Lambton, while the 510 Spadina remains at solid dark red coloured line. If service is between them, use a coloured line that is appropriate.

People are not going to go out of their way to avoid a low-frequency route. If they have to use it, then they are going to use it. Showing the frequency has no practical use for anyone. Plus, frequencies vary depending on time of day, so that's a problem right there. Plus it would make the map more unreadable. TTC could publish a separate frequency guide like MT did back in the day, but again there is no practical use.

The TTC should consider mapping the Saturday and Sunday service before they consider mapping the frequencies.

We've all waited for streetcars for half an hour only to have four come at once. So, I suppose all streetcar lines should be shaded light pink only suddenly to bleed into dark red every now and then.

I don't think showing headway would be as valuable considering the schedules and next bus are available online but nowhere does it show average trip times along the route. I have seen systems which mark the distance covered by 10 minutes of travel.

I think a better idea would be to label the timepoints on the map so they can be referenced to the schedule better, and have the schedules in table format.

Adding headway charts in the styles available in subway stations would be an improvement. I don't think they can be found on-line anywhere, but I am talking about the the small square tables found on the platforms that breakdown the day into five segments which show the scheduled headways in that period. They also show the time of the first and last train. The bus tables might make use of a sixth segment for overnight service.

While I'm on the topic of those tables, they should be posted in several more locations in the fare paid areas and at every entrance, plus there should be one quadruple sized copy posted at the collector booth. Having one small table, often all the way at the far end of a platform, is of little use.

Re: The subway headway charts. Not sure adding more of these is really necessary when every station will soon have those fancy "Next train" displays.

Re: The subway headway charts. Not sure adding more of these is really necessary when every station will soon have those fancy "Next train" displays.

Possibly... though what is soon.... there are still no Onestop screens at St. Patrick, Queen's Park, Davisville and other mid-use stations.
The other important detail is the last train times, which you want to know at the entrance to the station, not on the platform. Also "last bus" times should be incorporated into those signs and posted at the entrance. You shouldn't have to pay and then walk up to the bus platform to find out that it's already left.

Possibly... though what is soon.... there are still no Onestop screens at St. Patrick, Queen's Park, Davisville and other mid-use stations.

Weird with Davisville, considering it's the "TTC HQ" station (though maybe not so weird if they need to weatherproof them).

Also weird that Lawrence, York Mills, and Sheppard don't have'em at this point, yet North York Centre does

Back