948     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 649     0 

Doner Kebabs

G

ganjavih

I know I've mentioned it before but I needed to repost it because it's an important addition to the downtown eating scene. I've had lots of great Middle Eastern food... in England, NYC, etc. Toronto seemed to be lacking the high quality doner kebab sandwiches that these locales had. And then it happened. Doner Kebabs opened on the south-east corner of Yonge/Gerrard and my prayers were answered. You will not find a better doner kebab sandwich in the city. Ganja tips: get the veal sandwich (not chicken), get the sandwich (not the plate) and ask for extra hot sauce. Toronto is in the doner kebab big leagues now...

Okay, Toronto is NOT in the Döner big leagues, believe me! If you want Turkish food, Germany is the place to be. I have never in my life had Döner Kebabs like they make them here in Berlin (except with I was in Istanbul!) Toronto still has a lot to learn when it comes to making good Döners... haha!

Simly Dan,

I found Doner Kebab or shwarma to be a late night staple everywhere in Europe. The weiner and deep fried deep fry german fair is well... very hardy. No matter how small a city I was in anywhere in europe they all seem to have a doner Kebab or sharma place. I was partial to the Nord See outlets though, cause fast take-out seafood was somewhat of a novelty.

Oh yeah. I have been looking for a place where I can get a doner kabab for sooo long!!!! Toronto desperately needs an eatery near the club district which is open all night. That is my fav UK experience. Going out and getting pissed and stopping by for a great doner kabab with lettuce and sauce in a pita. mmmmmmm. Thanks for letting me know where i can now get one although all my english friends say I am only allowed to eat one after getting drunk because they say it tastes bad when your sober.

I had a nice chat with these fellows... they're Turkish and they'd been in the restaurant business in Germany for years before they came to Toronto... trust me, this is European quality doner kebabs! There's another good Turkish doner kebab place on Dundas W close to University called Istanbul. Not as good as the Yonge/Gerrard place but not bad either. These Turks know their doner kebabs... my fave place in NYC was Turkish and now we've got a couple of these in TO... awesome.

I love Nordsee! I wish I could open a franchise here in Canada!

Is Nordsee really that good? I´ve never ventured into one of their outlets, but I´ll consider it now!

I've been meaning to try that Istanbul place out - thanks for the tip ganja. Looks like I picked the wrong time to try going vegetarian again :(

I fell in love with the Doner vans in Oxford when I was there a few years back...nothing like a good Doner when yer pissed!

Ahh, yes... the Oxford kebab vans... 2 quid for a great meal. Did you happen to try Kebab King at Gloucester Green? That was one of my fave places. Wrt Istanbul, make sure they don't put cucumbers in your doner... they tend to do that for some reason. Istanbul doners are bigger and meatier but Doner Kebab is tastier.

In your turkish resto, do they make Durhum. It s the best food I ve never eaten.

Simply Dan,
Omg finally someone who understands me!!! I live here in Toronto and I have been to Germany about 5 times and all 5 times it was only to eat the authentic doner kebab. But I guess they have the best doner's because there's so many turkish people there but here the people who make it are usually middle-eastern and in the middle east they make it in pita bread instead of the turkish bread they make it in Germany. I have eaten it many times in Toronto but it is never as good as the ones in Germany. I always ask my grandfather to bring me a doner in his suitcase when he visits from Germany but he doesn't. This time he is coming I asked him to bring only the turkish bread so I can go to a turkish-owned doner place and ask them to fill it.I love the doner's in germany and I could eat them for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
Simply Dan,
Omg finally someone who understands me!!! I live here in Toronto and I have been to Germany about 5 times and all 5 times it was only to eat the authentic doner kebab. But I guess they have the best doner's because there's so many turkish people there but here the people who make it are usually middle-eastern and in the middle east they make it in pita bread instead of the turkish bread they make it in Germany. I have eaten it many times in Toronto but it is never as good as the ones in Germany. I always ask my grandfather to bring me a doner in his suitcase when he visits from Germany but he doesn't. This time he is coming I asked him to bring only the turkish bread so I can go to a turkish-owned doner place and ask them to fill it.I love the doner's in germany and I could eat them for the rest of my life.

Did you look at the date of the previous post? It was 10 years ago. Does it still exist?

Back