Toronto Pears on the Avenue | ?m | 20s | Menkes | P + S / IBI

iSlutsky

Chit-Chatter
Member Bio
Reaction score
Menkes purchased the old Audi dealership (Downtown Fine Cars site) at 164 Avenue Road & 124 Pears Avenue (Annex meets Yorkville). I heard $14m, with closing last week. Posted on my BuzzBuzzHome blog, here.

No other details to report from my end, but I am sure other people do.

MODS: Not sure if this is the correct section for Development News / Rumours, as it is not officially a project yet? Please let me know where to post in the future.

Last edited:
It appears applications for the proposed development were submitted in October 2003, a preliminiary report in 2004, and was later refused by City Council in 2005, followed by a successful appeal and received appproval at the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) in 2006.

Assuming the proposal from the June 2005 staff report is still current, this is the proposal:

On October 22, 2003 Sunnyhill Gardens Inc. applied for Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments for 164 Avenue Road. The applicant proposed to construct an 18-storey (62 metres) mixed-use building, with retail space and an automobile showroom at grade, 138 residential condominium units and four levels of underground parking for 236 parking spaces. The vehicular access was proposed from Pears Avenue.

The application was revised and resubmitted to City Planning on May 17, 2005 with some minor design changes to the building and an increase in building height. The applicant is now proposing to construct a 19-storey (65.8 metres) mixed-use building with 11 fewer residential units (127 units) and 28 fewer parking spaces (208 spaces).

City Planning Preliminary Report - January 2004:
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2004/agendas/committees/ts/ts040217/it044.pdf

City Planning Refusal Report - June 2005:
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2005/agendas/committees/te/te050705/it010.pdf

Official Plan Amendment Approved through OMB - May 2006:
By-law 568-2008

Zoning By-law Amendment Approved through OMB - May 2006:
By-law 569-2008

Elevations - June 2005
164Avenue-1.jpg
164Avenue-2.jpg
164Avenue-3.jpg
164Avenue-4.jpg

The sale price was exactly $14 million. At 28,660 square feet, that's $488 per square foot.

The old approval is of course still valid, but I would very strongly suspect that we'll see something different than that now.

The 19 floor height was only gained by the last owner going to the OMB, and it's likely that the city would reject any overtures from Menkes to go beyond the height limits as set out in the bylaw following that OMB decision. If you give it a look, you'll see very specific height limits related to setbacks that keep the project's shadows from spilling beyond a prescribed area.

Despite core and subway line buildings getting higher and higher, I don't see towers going crazy high in places like this, NIMBYS or not.

Pears On The Avenue

Drove by the site a few days ago, sort of miss looking at the "Fine Cars" dealership.. I think they originally had Jaguars and Porches.

I used to go into the Pedlar Bicycle shop on the corner of Ave. Rd. and Davenport. Gone now..

This is a great location and the project looks good in the drawings.

Look forward to see pricing and floor plans.

Great Location Picture urbandreamer

I was at Pears and Ave. Road today and drove West on Davenport and turned back to get on to Pears,towards Ave Road.

First, that large Toronto Housing Building on Davenport (see Google Map Link) is rather large and..boring in style.

Second, what is that modern low rise silver Condo (Apt.)? It looks so angled and a poor attempt at "modern"

Here is the Google Map Link:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&so...UmuJkEXV6HJtL0rXFQtn8w&cbp=12,210.56,,0,-17.5

urbandreamer, your picture is soooo much better! I can see the "old" Four Seasons Hotel further down on Ave Rd, on the left, and that will come down shortly for two new Towers to take its place.

Now for my confession, I had two cameras in my pocket today and with only one picture like urbandreamer I could have said a thousand words!!

I almost forgot..I am very surprised that the Annex Homeowners Association allowed this new development. They stopped "dead" a Condo Development proposed at The Planetarium, Ave Rd. and Bloor,several years ago.

Back