News   Mar 28, 2024
 530     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 345     0 

Condo soundproofing

taal

Member Bio
Reaction score
So I've seen this come up in a few threads already, I'll ask a couple questions to start:

1) Is there anyway to find out how soundproof a condo (existing or not) will be i.e. by looking at the building specs or something along those lines?

2) For people in relavilty new condos, what do you think about the soundproofing in your home:
A) Can't here anything ... it's 100% quiet, all the time 24X7
B) Can't here talking or anything obsious, if the unit above is playing something
loud will here background humming of sorts (quiet though)
C) You can here people talking.

I used to live in a condo townhouse built 15 years ago that was A) for sure, less the sound of someone drilling into the wall. Now, I'm in a new condo and it's more like B) i.e. at night you can here pretty quiet humming of sorts ... probably something that wouldn't bother 9 in 10 people.

3) Sound proofing options for after the fact i.e. you're stuck where you are.
This can be in multiple forms ... ear plugs ... white noise generators ... replacing the walls ... so forth.

This must be an issue for most of us living in condos. If your in situation A) let me know too!

I don't hear sounds from my neighbours beside me. But sometimes there's noise above me. Not talking noises, just sounds. Like if someone drops something on their floor, I will hear dropping sounds from the ceiling (eg. marbles). Last night there was some sounds coming from the ceiling maybe. But only the bedroom had sounds. I couldn't hear it in the living room. At first I thought it was the cleaning truck outside cleaning the highway. That's what it sounded like anyhow, but when I looked out, there wasn't any truck outside cleaning the highway. I couldn't figure out where that humming sound came from. I suspect upstairs. The neighbours beside me, I seldom hear them drilling. But when they do drill, I would hear drilling noises.

I don't hear sounds from my neighbours beside me. But sometimes there's noise above me. Not talking noises, just sounds. Like if someone drops something on their floor, I will hear dropping sounds from the ceiling (eg. marbles). Last night there was some sounds coming from the ceiling maybe. But only the bedroom had sounds. I couldn't hear it in the living room. At first I thought it was the cleaning truck outside cleaning the highway. That's what it sounded like anyhow, but when I looked out, there wasn't any truck outside cleaning the highway. I couldn't figure out where that humming sound came from. I suspect upstairs. The neighbours beside me, I seldom hear them drilling. But when they do drill, I would hear drilling noises.

It's pretty similar here but, if you turn off your TV and what not at night (when your upstairs neighbors are in and watching TV) do you here a slight humming noise or something along those lines, or is it pretty much quiet. I'm not talking about anything loud, I'm pretty senstive to noise it seems :)

I don't hear the tv sounds. I usually watch tv on my computer so maybe I'm not the best person to ask if "when it's quiet if I hear the neighbour's tv on"

Im in the same boat,Im sensitive to voices not regular background noise.I understand that mechanical devices makes noise and its usually from the vents but I truly cant stand people on the porches at 2:00am talking loudly.I crashed out at a friends condo which has a bad reputation for quality and even with the patio doors close you can hear loud voices.Its more of muffed sound but still its noticeable.Heavy drapes,thick carpets helps reducing noise but if the condo is built with dividing walls of studs instead of solid concrete there isnt much you can do when the condo is completed.

I get more noise from the highway than from neighbours on the balcony. However I sometimes find cigs on my balcony. I think someone smoking above me and throwing cigs down their balcony.

I get more noise from the highway than from neighbours on the balcony. However I sometimes find cigs on my balcony. I think someone smoking above me and throwing cigs down their balcony.

Total lack of respect from some condo owners.Which floor on you on,usually the higher floors (above 12) street noise is not really a issue.

Funny, I have a "humming" sound in my place, too. Some sort of circulation system of some kind. It's not loud, but is audible when things are quite.

As for sound through the walls, I don't hear much unless my neighbour is having a big party (which he does about once a month). I'm lucky to have concrete walls on either side. However, if my partying neighbour and friends wander out onto the balcony, then I can hear a lot more. The seam in my slider seems to let in considerable outdoor sound.

The hallways here also seem to funnel sound quite effectively, and the front door doesn't seem to block out that much. The property manager has sent notes asking people to hold it down the hallway noise, so I don't think it's a case of me being over-sensitive to noises.

I live on the 29th floor. Real floor is 25. The highway isn't extremely loud, but if I have my balcony window open, I can hear the highway. I can't hear it though if I close my balcony window.

Regarding the hallway. Yes, I can hear people in the hallway as well. I think of it as a good thing. At least I know who passes by sometimes. It would be important if there was a fire and the fireman was yelling to check who was still inside. Or if there is trouble outside, you can hear it and choose to open or keep the door closed. And yes, people should keep parties in their room and out of the hallways. I haven't had that problem except for people passing by going to a party or drinking at someone's place. They usually just pass on by.

I don't mind noise, it's people talking, babies crying, etc. that drives me up the wall.

Funny, I have a "humming" sound in my place, too. Some sort of circulation system of some kind. It's not loud, but is audible when things are quite.

It takes getting used to, and when I'm keyed up already these miscellaneous background noises really bother me. I don't think you can get away from it if you are going for "urban" and apartment living.

I'm not originally from the GTA and used to lived in a detached suburban house on a quiet non-throughway street. When I go home now, I'm profoundly aware at times how deadly quiet and silent it is in comparison. If you really listen, it's a heavy, almost deafening silence. Makes me really aware of all the background noise in my condo, even though I rarely hear voices.

From the room closest to the front door, I can hear people in the hallway. In most of the condo though, I don't hear anything unless someone is drilling or hammering. I've never heard another vacuum cleaner, for example. As someone else mentioned, occasionally I hear something from above as if someone dropped something on the floor. But that's it. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how quiet it is. The building is about 10 years old BTW.

When condo-hunting, we were in some properties where I could very clearly hear hall noise throughout the unit as well as neighbours on either side. I knew right away I wouldn't be buying there.

As a general rule, if there are concrete walls between units then that will take care of the most important sound leakage.

If it is drywall, best to set your expectations very low.

Builders specs should be able to reveal where physical plant things are like water pumps/elevators/etc.

I think with most buildings they don't put in too much effort in things like soundproofed doors to the hallway, etc. But if you are willing to spend money after the builder is done you can almost THX soundproof most units (the one difficulty being vibrational sound from physical plant stuff like water pumps/etc)

I've been in a condo where the walls were just drywall and you can hear EVERYTHING even down to a casual conversation. Awful.

My current condo does have concrete walls (watched it being built) and the soundproofing is pretty good on normal noise usually hearing muffled noise if at all. My biggest problem has been my downstairs neighbour who likes to listen to music LOUD. It's not anything annoying like rap or death metal (it's newage-ish) but it's so loud that I can easily hear it through the floor even with my TV on. The worst was being woken up at 6:45am on a Sunday. :mad: I've visited her twice to complain and standing in front of her door I can't believe how loud the music is. She's been better since.

I just don't understand the disregard of other people nor how ear-splitting the volume is. If you want it that loud, not caring about your hearing, then buy a wireless headset and blast away!

Try being woken up for you neighbour having loud sex every Wed-Thurs morning at 5:30am...its ANNOYING..and it sucks b/c their not a hot couple ;(

Back