News   Mar 28, 2024
 404     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 721     0 

Which condo developers are the best in the city?

Smileycelia

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm curious -- which condo developers that have properties downtown are considered to be the best in Toronto? Which ones use the best materials for construction and have that little extra touch of class in each unit? Which ones actually make a condo unit look like a home vs. looking like a regular apartment?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Minto
Menkes
Great Gulf
Tridel <--biased opinion of course :D

I'm curious -- which condo developers that have properties downtown are considered to be the best in Toronto? Which ones use the best materials for construction and have that little extra touch of class in each unit? Which ones actually make a condo unit look like a home vs. looking like a regular apartment?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I think it is near impossible to say, and pretty much everyone is biased. However, as biased as I may be, Diamante Development Corporation is fantastic, with great designs amazing construction, and real attention to details. They may not put out a tonne of product, but the product they do put out is outstanding and is standing the test of time.

M.

developers are just one of many factors to consider when buying. The most important factor that dictates price is location. Even if you find a great builder, if the location is not good, the value won't be there. Also, with good builders the price also will guarantee to be expensive.

developers are just one of many factors to consider when buying. The most important factor that dictates price is location. Even if you find a great builder, if the location is not good, the value won't be there. Also, with good builders the price also will guarantee to be expensive.

Agreed.. I guess there are a few issues:

(i) Most developers are very specific about location, and only pick what they think are great locations, so if you are looking for "the best" developer it is one that has a great track record for locations;

(ii) There is a big difference between the role of a developer and a builder (although, in condos this distinction is often blurred). Not too sure where I am going with this point, but I got confused with the quote above.

(iii) A great developer does not always equate to "expensive" prices. With using my example of Diamante, The Florian is by a great developer and builder, but relative to the surrounding area is not "expensive"; in fact, it is very well priced if you compare the price-points. (well, I guess it is expensive because it is a luxury building... but, I was thinking that you were referring to "expensive" as "over-priced").

M.

Well, what I mean by being expensive is that developers who pick the best materials, hire the best architects, hire the best contractors to do the job will all add up to the price. Quality doesn't come without money.

I can say Shangri-la will probably be very well built, very high class, very good designer and materials. The location is great too. But they are also selling at $1000 psf. On the other hand, there may be some developers who will charge you an arm and a leg, but quality is average. Location is great and that is probably what they're charging you for and not so much the quality of materials and build. I think most important is to find the best quality for the best price which may fall in the middle category.

I sometimes wonder if the construction builders (PCL, Ellisdon, etc) who hire the contractors are more the variable than the developer themselves. Materials are chosen by the developer I think? But workmanship is controlled by who the builders get as sub contractors.

Last edited:
Lanterra .. Murano, Burano, Maple Leaf Sq, ICE.. By far the best product available downtown except the obvious Ritz Shang'LA

Lanterra .. Murano, Burano, Maple Leaf Sq, ICE.. By far the best product available downtown except the obvious Ritz Shang'LA

i've found the quality of features and finishes in Lanterra's projects (ie. all of waterpark city and murano) quite poor.

i've been in waterpark city and seen first hand.
for murano, look at some of the pics posted in its' thread and you'll read/see what i'm talking about.

i've found the quality of features and finishes in Lanterra's projects (ie. all of waterpark city and murano) quite poor.

i've been in waterpark city and seen first hand.
for murano, look at some of the pics posted in its' thread and you'll read/see what i'm talking about.

I agree with you, some of finishes in their older buildings Waterpark and Murano were sold in 2005 ish look at ICE

The finishes at MLS will be nice as well because most buyers got 5k in free upgrades on top of the usual granite ss hardwood and marble in bathrooms also the newer waterpark city neptune has the same finishes

5K doesn't really go very far, especially with the builders' upgrade prices. I've heard they charge 1k per light pothole in the ceiling. I suppose 5k will gain you 5 pot lights.

5k got me upgraded cabinets in kitchen and bathroom hardwood
In the bedroom undermounted sink, some other minor things .. Free upgrades are great as long as u use them properly .. Pot lights will be done by my electrician

5k got me upgraded cabinets in kitchen and bathroom hardwood
In the bedroom undermounted sink, some other minor things .. Free upgrades are great as long as u use them properly .. Pot lights will be done by my electrician

now those are some unusual choices for upgrades ?!?!? :eek:

Kitchens and bathrooms CDR .. Biggest $ return in real estate .. That's free advice to you

really, i didn't know that. :rolleyes:

if you re-read your previous comment, the lack of punctuation and improper capitalization gave the wrong meaning.

or perhaps you transposed your thoughts ... i'm not a grammar nazi, but proof-reading helps.

i must say those are the lowest costing upgrades i heard from a developer if you got all that for only $5K. they usually charge $$$ for cabinets and hardwood floor upgrades ... who was it?

Last edited:

Back