Toronto Tango at Concord Park Place | ?m | 31s | Concord Adex | P + S / IBI

Solaris

Member Bio
Reaction score
what appears to be the first sign of the next phase of towers coming soon to Concord Park Place ~

Looks pretty exciting ... :)

Revised Concord Park Place Master Plan
ConcordPark2.jpg

Original Concord Park Place Master Plan
ConcordPark1.jpg

City Planning Preliminary Report to be considered by North York Community Council on September 15, 2009:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-22960.pdf

Last edited:
I was looking at this revision yesterday...those towers could be slabtacular from certain angles and sleek from others, but the designs/masses are likely still conceptual. A road connection with Bessarion and the NY Towers area is desperately needed for the future but will probably never happen. In the old plan, some fairly urban streets seemed possible, but are less likely to sprout with the current plan where almost everything faces a park (not necessarily a bad thing, but it takes superior architecture and landscaping to pull off a vibrant urban park area like that). The parkland itself is revealed in more detail and is refreshingly less programmed than most condoland parks. The jury's still out on whether or not placing so much density away from Bessarion and Sheppard is a good thing or a prelude to disaster.

Re: thread title - "The Next Phase" is one of my favourite ST:TNG episodes.

Nice!

I think the revised plan looks relatively better. Better in that it looks more complete and part of the whole Parkplace development rather than smacking a park in the corner and having the condos around there feel congested - the spacing brings a more relaxed community feel to it.

North York has graduated from one tower-in-the-park to several-towers-in-the-park. Truly, this is not an inspiring evolution of built form.

The dead-ends, cul-de-sacs and disconnectivity worry me. There is very little interface with the major streets and I fear that this concept plan is even less transit-oriented than the NY Towers (which I didn't think was possible). Bessarion Street needs to be integrated into this neighbourhood somehow to give that subway station purpose.

Me too, its like they got better from the original plan and then said F**k it lets go with what we know works and is more profit maximizing, so back to boring.

Me too, its like they got better from the original plan and then said F**k it lets go with what we know works and is more profit maximizing, so back to boring.

The buildable GFA hasn't changed so there really isn't any difference in terms of potential profitability.

Also this plan demonstrates some 'potential' in terms of future road connections to the west should the opportunity arise.

Lastly given that is a larger site plan I would read too much into the shape of the towers deliniated on the plan.

Last edited:
Sure there's potential differences in profit. A project that's more exciting/desirable/luxurious/attractive/whatever can sell for more than a project that's just a bunch of boring suburban condos and it doesn't need to cost anything extra to end up with a better looking, better designed, more welcoming, and more vibrant area. Even if the difference is tiny per square foot, we are talking about millions of square feet in total.

I think I prefer the original plan, though it is hard to gauge what kind of community will be generated from just those 3 inch black and white drawings...it's hard to tell if the podium townhouses will be ugly or how much grass will be between the road and the buildings, or the exact sites and quality of retail spaces, etc.

It'd be great if you could drive from the NY Towers area to Leslie via the Bessarion and Park Place areas without needing to drive on Sheppard...pedestrian paths aren't enough. Yonge has service roads but Sheppard will be impossibly congested without a few road links. Most people living in houses on Bessarion/Caracas/Talara/Greenbriar would accept redevelopment with open arms.

I think the new plan spreads the green space throughout the development. The original looks awkward with the park/green space lumped to one side...

I think the new plan spreads the green space throughout the development. The original looks awkward with the park/green space lumped to one side...

Actually, that's a very good thing. One big park is infinitely better than 10 mingy parkettes that end up as dog toilets. Having the big park next to Bessarion station, though...perhaps not the best idea, but that's the city's fault for pushing for taller towers along the 401 and shorter buildings along the "Avenue."

Actually, that's a very good thing. One big park is infinitely better than 10 mingy parkettes that end up as dog toilets. Having the big park next to Bessarion station, though...perhaps not the best idea, but that's the city's fault for pushing for taller towers along the 401 and shorter buildings along the "Avenue."

You're right about that too, but the smaller spaces seem to be more useful (grass amphitheatre, gardens, sports fields, play grounds...) and integrates with the buildings better... good balance is what i'm thinking of...

Back