News   Mar 28, 2024
 640     0 

Most Dangerous Neighbourhood(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooool

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think most people believe Jane and Finch is the most dangerous area along with surrounding neighbourhoods, but what are some of the dangerous most grimiest areas in Toronto?

I've heard Malvern, Morningside Heights, Rexdale, Parkdale, Moss Park and Regent Park are all quite unsafe at times.

I've heard MOST of Scarborough is quite rough.

I would say Sherborne and Dundas.

Actually Dundas east of Church just sucks until you hit Jarvis

I've spent a little time in Jane and Finch, it just seemed like average neighbourhood to me. It was surprising because it has such a bad reputation and it didn't live up to it at all.

If you look at the Toronto Star's homicide map, Malton is the one that seems to be worst. And I've been there and I do think is quite rough compared to Jane and Finch. According to the map, Malton had 9 homicides total in 2008 and 2009 compared to 4 for Jane and Finch. None of the other neighbourhoods you mentioned come even close.

I've spent a little time in Jane and Finch, it just seemed like average neighbourhood to me. It was surprising because it has such a bad reputation and it didn't live up to it at all.

If you look at the Toronto Star's homicide map, Malton is the one that seems to be worst. And I've been there and I do think is quite rough compared to Jane and Finch. According to the map, Malton had 9 homicides total in 2008 and 2009 compared to 4 for Jane and Finch. None of the other neighbourhoods you mentioned come even close.
Malton is in Mississauga, no?

But one thing I've never understood is how one of the biggest universities in Canada can exist next to what people perceive as the most dangerous neighbourhood in Toronto.

well York University has serious security issues, you hear so many incidents...

When I was at York U, someone pulled the fire alarm. (Around 12am). Everyone had to evacuate. My classmates went out first and screamed there was a naked guy running around. Seems he might have been from an insane asylum nearby maybe.

I think there was a sexual assault or rape around the York U grounds too. The area isn't well lit enough outside of school grounds.

Crime in Toronto is concentrated around pockets of poverty often in clusters of certain apartment buildings, surrounded by middle class or wealthy housing which making most of these places seem completely normal. So if you're looking for dangerous and grimy, the most dangerous might seem anti-climactic.

Crime in Toronto is concentrated around pockets of poverty often in clusters of certain apartment buildings, surrounded by middle class or wealthy housing which making most of these places seem completely normal. So if you're looking for dangerous and grimy, the most dangerous might seem anti-climactic.
That's very true. I know in Mississauga one of the poorest neighbourhoods around (Roche Court) is steps away from the wealthiest area around (Mississauga Road).

But from what I've been told most of North Scarborough is pretty crime-ridden. And Northern Etobicoke is pretty consistent with low income housing (from what I can tell).

I lived in Scarborough, near the Scarborough town center for a long time and never saw much crime. Isn't Scarborough being crime ridden supposed to be a myth? That's what I always hear....

It depends in Malvern.

I have relatives who say nothing happens near on the east side of Morningside near the Zoo lands while they say everything happens on the other side of Morningside.

I would say Sherborne and Dundas.

Actually Dundas east of Church just sucks until you hit Jarvis

And then a block east of there it sucks again and pretty much continues to do so for the rest of its length.

Actually, just 2 weeks ago I randomly decided to walk up George street between Shuter and Gerrard during the middle of a nice sunny day and I felt on edge the whole time. There are a number of really badly decaying, seemingly abandoned old houses on that street (and a lot of the occupied houses seemed to have iron fences lining their property facing the street) as well as a large rehab centre, and there were many very shady looking characters just standing around on the sidewalk or middle of the road. I found myself nervously clutching my rather visible ipod. I find that some good things I do when I suddenly find myself in a rough area is to walk with a powerful authority, put on a bit of a Clint Eastwood scowl, and do not go out of my way to avoid eye contact because it looks weak if you do.

Last edited:
I stay with a relative in Montreal-Nord but it never occurred to me that it was a bad neighbourhood until the riots occurred the next year. So I think most neighbourhoods are only bad due to rumours rather than people's own personal experiences. I bet if you visit any of supposedly bad neighbourhoods in the GTA, you wouldn't notice anything either. The only bad experience I had was in Malton, getting harrassed by groups of teenagers as soon as got off the bus.

But one thing I've never understood is how one of the biggest universities in Canada can exist next to what people perceive as the most dangerous neighbourhood in Toronto.

Oh that's easily understood. Unfortunately, York, despite its vast size, is completely isolated - it isn't integrated into the urban fabric and doesn't interact with its surrounding neighbourhoods at all. Most of its campus is safely tucked away from the big, bad city right in the centre of the huge land it sits on bordered by Jane, Keele, Steeles, and Finch. It's ridiculous that its closest buildings of any consequence are a good 10 minute walk from the "outside", no matter which direction you're coming from. It's great that they keep expanding but they really need to start putting buildings along the main streets.

Last edited:
well York University has serious security issues, you hear so many incidents...

And a most of them last year were later shown to be hoaxes and/or mischief.
The university is currently upgrading the lighting and increasing the provision of intercoms with the main security control centre. However, I regularly walk alone on campus at all hours (including 1 or 2 am) and I have never had a problem. There has been the usual spate of petty theft this week that most universities experience had in the first few weeks of term and that will peter out as people start to be more sensible with their belongings...

I don't see much evidence of serious security issues at York U right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back