News   May 17, 2024
 2.3K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

I think the above will probably be delayed....

News from Bid Award Ctte:

1675175765388.png

They should fully charge and severely fine the driver/company involved in this. Maybe then it will finally stop idiot truck drivers from driving around with their buckets/booms up.
I think we need regulations that require these trucks have a system that either limits their speed or just stops the vehicle if they try to go faster than 10kph with the bucket/boom up. That way they can still pull forward on job sites as needed but will quickly realize something is wrong when they pull out onto public roads.

My understanding is that there is an audible warning system when the boom is up but it gets disabled by drivers because it gets annoying. Not excusing them as obviously doing so can lead to these situations, so if that happened here I agree there should be punishments. However, alarm fatigue is a real thing and if we don't acknowledge that and have sensible systems that complement the job site, people will work around them.

I think we need regulations that require these trucks have a system that either limits their speed or just stops the vehicle if they try to go faster than 10kph with the bucket/boom up. That way they can still pull forward on job sites as needed but will quickly realize something is wrong when they pull out onto public roads.

My understanding is that there is an audible warning system when the boom is up but it gets disabled by drivers because it gets annoying. Not excusing them as obviously doing so can lead to these situations, so if that happened here I agree there should be punishments. However, alarm fatigue is a real thing and if we don't acknowledge that and have sensible systems that complement the job site, people will work around them.
I agree with all of this, but it boggles my mind that the driver wouldn't bother to do even a cursory check of their incredibly heavy death machine before setting out onto the roads. I feel so safe. :eek:

This case is the perfect argument for a mandatory speed limiter.

AoD

Given the importance of passenger rail overbridges within Toronto, especially close to Union where lines have merged, sacrificial structures and/or alerting systems should be considered.

Reactions: PL1
Given the importance of passenger rail overbridges within Toronto, especially close to Union where lines have merged, sacrificial structures and/or alerting systems should be considered.
You will still get a fool running into those warnings.

I agree. Some kind of speed or transmission sensor, or a combination. It would be better if it triggered a shut-down or something similar in the ECM rather jut setting off a warning chime.

This case is the perfect argument for a mandatory speed limiter.

AoD
I'm not sure how that would help prevent these situations.

Perhaps but I'm not sure how they would prioritize without creating a lot of clutter. A rail bridge vs. 401 and 427 or something? There are different designs; those right at the bridge that only serve to protect the structure, and advanced ones that both serve as a warning and protect. Then there are the ones that are combined with overheight warning systems. They all seem to get tested or defeated at some point.

Lol, you've seen the 11foot8 YouTube channel right? The big flashing Overheight Must Turn sign may as well not even be there. I do agree with the sacrificial structures though.

Is this reopened yet?? It made my excursion to Island Foods last week absolute torture.

Back