News   May 17, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 722     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 6.5K     7 

Toronto/Chicago comparisons

I'm guessing that "Toronto" figure includes Burlington, Oakville, Mississauga, Brampton, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, Pickering, Whitby, and Ajax...or are those last 3 cities thrown in with Oshawa??

What does Hamilton include?

"Kitchener" must also mean Waterloo, Cambridge and Guelph??

And most fascinatingly, what does the awful Barrie include to get such a number?

These are CMAs. Hamilton CMA includes Burlington and Grimsby. The Oshawa CMA includes Whitby and Clarington.

The Toronto CMA includes the entirety of York and Peel Regions, Oakville, Halton Hills, and Milton, Ajax, Pickering, and Uxbridge, plus Bradford-West Gwillimbury, Orangeville, Mono, and New Tecumseh.

Guelph is separate from Kitchener-Waterloo.

Barrie includes Innisfil and, Springwater.

Looking through the area there are a lot of cities founded in the early 1900s. The problem is that they're no longer "satellite" cities, because they are part of the continuous built-up area now, jobs are very much fluid over the boundaries, and the individual cities are really not independent economies anymore. Aurora and Naperville would be good examples
I’ve just returned from a few days in Naperville. What a lovely suburb, with a walkable and safe-feeling Main Street. As far as I could tell there’s no violence, graffiti, beggars or even litter.

I’ve just returned from a few days in Naperville. What a lovely suburb, with a walkable and safe-feeling Main Street. As far as I could tell there’s no violence, graffiti, beggars or even litter.
Try the South Side or Rockford for comparison. Napierville is 75% white and Asian in makeup and has an impressive tax base to draw on. It reminds me of some other more midwestern small cities where investment in infrastructure is impressive and reflects strong tax bases as well.

Napierville is 75% white and Asian in makeup and has an impressive tax base to draw on. It reminds me of some other more midwestern small cities where investment in infrastructure is impressive and reflects strong tax bases as well.
Naperville’s downtown reminded me of Kleinburg, with evident wealth and a professional class.

Last edited:
Naperville’s downtown reminded me of Kleinburg, with evident wealth and a professional class.
Just checked out some photos on Google, and it seems to have a pretty, vibrant, and urban looking downtown. Doesn't seem overly suburban.

1715004830214.png

The city limits were drawn by a psychopath.

Back