Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

I was guna post this as, I hope RC fixes this moving forward.

It's hard to to tell from that thread if Rogers/Blue Jays screwed up or Ticketmaster. And he can't be the only one who bought those tickets... but he's certainly got the profile to bring attention to it.

This shot doesn't tell the true story of the contrast.

I think a lot of people need to adjust the contrast/brightness on their TV's and/or not use vivid mode on their smartphone cameras. I don't see the amount of garishness (?) on my tv compared to some of the photo's I've seen online.

This is a meaningful point for debate....would the Jays draw 30k and 22k at games 2 & 3 if was open air, or with roof but not an enclosed (like seattle)? I'd say no. With 81 games at home, I'd hazard to guess most fans are less inclined to buy midweek tickets in those first 3 weeks of season when its wet and 6-12*C. Look around league so far, VERY empty midweek parks due to the cold. So for the Jays to build anything but a new, retractable, enclosed park....would probably be a move in the wrong direction from a business perspective. Just, ya know, build one with some glass and sunlight :):)

I took a quick look at a couple of examples (the only comparable ones I think are Milwaukee and Seattle, the rest are in the south I think and I am too lazy to look into all 7 or however many there are).

For the stadium in Milwaukee it is pretty much based on temp 63 Fahrenheit/17.2 Celsius so yesterday it would have been open unless there was a breeze off Lake Michigan or other factors but it seems more to do with fan comfort than other factors. They go into more detail here - https://www.mlb.com/news/brewers-ballpark-roof-opened-or-closed

For Seattle, the roof actually is more like an umbrella so temperature doesnt really come into it, it is all to do with rain - https://www.mlb.com/news/t-mobile-park-roof-and-rain-history

You know. Rogers Centre as the first (or one of the first) fully enclosed retractable roof stadiums didn't really have a predecessor to learn from in the way that the retractable roof stadiums that have come after Rogers Centre did. I remind people that the Rogers Centre was designed as a domed stadium that can open when the weather allows, rather than an open air stadium that can close the roof when the weather is inclement. The difference might not be obvious but it is dramatic.

I was at the stadium ~20 yrs ago when they were caught off guard by a rain storm. There is no provision for drainage in the bowl and the front row of the 200 and 500 levels became 2 inch deep rivers of rain water, beer, and food. Not fun to sit in as a fan.

When I worked there the frequent complaint I received was to actually close the dome! Evenings are still quite cool right through to mid May. So I find it humorous that people now are asking for the roof to be open considering that evening lows are in the single digits!

I think a lot of people need to adjust the contrast/brightness on their TV's and/or not use vivid mode on their smartphone cameras. I don't see the amount of garishness (?) on my tv compared to some of the photo's I've seen online.

Yeah I'm going to try that, because when I see the highlights on youtube it's not bad at all so could be a tv thing.

I am glad its done and we got 75% of what needed to happen. I really look forward to going to games this year.

I would like to see in the next five years some warmth brought to the place. Its very blue and grey and some brown/wood accents such as repanelling the Hotel walls would really change the vibe inside.

Instead of grey brick, maybe some red brick? They wouldn't clash with the blue if done right.

An exterior refresh, either a cleaning or a recladding and new black windows would be a great update to it.

Plus five years from now would definitely justify some more improvements and help keep the place fresh into the next decade or two.

They said that at the start of the renovations. This was always an interim plan. I agree with him though, public money was not on the table, but lets be clear. Its because they would have received a massive no if they asked and they already knew it.

Some interesting stuff in this article. Sounds like a new stadium in 10 to 15 years is still very much on the table.

They've always said from the get that the reno's were just a temp solution and the plan is to still build a new stadium. I just think they realized because of some serious challenges in terms of location, it wasn't going to be for a while so they needed to do something with Skydome until they figure it out.

And the longer they keep waiting to build a new stadium, the fewer and fewer options they'll have to build in other areas of the city as the city continues to develop. We're not really the kind of city that has the foresight to protect for future builds, so Downsview and the Portlands will be off the table soon enough.

Not that i'm complaining because they'll never beat the location of the current stadium.

And the longer they keep waiting to build a new stadium, the fewer and fewer options they'll have to build in other areas of the city as the city continues to develop. We're not really the kind of city that has the foresight to protect for future builds, so Downsview and the Portlands will be off the table soon enough.

Not that i'm complaining because they'll never beat the location of the current stadium.

On the note of potential alternative sites to build a new stadium...

1713238889916.png

With the current Science Centre site slated to close in 2028, I wonder if this site could be an option for the Blue Jays to explore in late 2020s/early 2030s.

There's roughly 80-90 acres of land which would make for plenty of land to develop a sport entertainment district. Also there will be two mass transit options with the Eglinton Crosstown LRT (Yes it will open eventually 😂) and Ontario Line subway stops.

I'm no expert of course, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt. I'm sure a lot would need to happen for this to become a remotely viable option, but I do think it something that could be an option that Blue Jays and Rogers might end up exploring down the line based off the suggested 10-15 year timeline.

On the note of potential alternative sites to build a new stadium...

View attachment 556755
With the current Science Centre site slated to close in 2028, I wonder if this site could be an option for the Blue Jays to explore in late 2020s/early 2030s.

There's roughly 80-90 acres of land which would make for plenty of land to develop a sport entertainment district. Also there will be two mass transit options with the Eglinton Crosstown LRT (Yes it will open eventually 😂) and Ontario Line subway stops.

I'm no expert of course, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt. I'm sure a lot would need to happen for this to become a remotely viable option, but I do think it something that could be an option that Blue Jays and Rogers might end up exploring down the line based off the suggested 10-15 year timeline.
It's a non-starter and i'm glad you linked that image because: All that land highlighted in green is TRCA land and it's basically flood plain area. So in other words, nothing really can be developed on that land. The only land that could be developed on that site would be the portion that's owned by the city, which as you can imagine is not optimally suited for a baseball stadium. Theoretically you could probably fit a hockey/basketball arena on that plot as that would be easier to orient, but that wouldnt happen in any of our lifetimes for various reasons.

Why would you think it’s the city’s responsibility to keep land available in case the blue jays decide they want to move. It’s the blue jays problem shouldnt they be the ones that are thinking about it. Also what if we saved land at downsview and they were like no thanks we want to be by the lake to have a better view and atmosphere. It’s on the jays to do their due diligence.

Reactions: PL1

Back