Toronto 708 Kennedy | 135.45m | 42s | Brosko Property Management | Kirkor

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Lobbyist Registry reveals that these 2 low-rise apartment buildings may not be long for the world.

1640209701835.png

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32732​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

The application for rezoning by-law and plan of subdivision at 708-712 Kennedy Rd. Toronto.

Aerial Pic:

1640209921153.png

Total site area ~ 1.1ha/2.7ac

Based on the current site area, and configuration, it would be possible to support a new building on the parking lot at the rear.

However, I find that to be unlikely.

This site is within the MTSA sphere of Kennedy Station at ~500m away.

I think that makes it very improbably that buildings of 3-4 storeys are retained.

I'd also add the site has some potential issues in terms of the rear area (though probably still building space available)

Note the Blue line, which is Taylor-Massey Creek.

There are three different issues at it pertains to the creek.

The first is the standard rule of ceding any land within 10M of stable top of bank to the TRCA.

The second is any issue that may pertain to flooding, and flood planning. While this site actually isn't within the floodplain, the areas immediately upstream and downstream are at risk.

That may make the taking of some land here desirable to reduce risks to neighbouring properties. (blue indicates floodplain)

1640210573731.png

Orange indicates designated natural area/feature

1640210546639.png

There is also a longstanding desire to establish a formal trail along this section of creek, and that may come into play as well, along with a possible access easement from Kennedy.

As a final interesting note you can see the letters CNR above following a little, but still used rail spur, the GECO spur. That means railway setbacks may come into play, of further note, Line 2 runs directly underneath this spur, a remnant of the Canadian Northern Railway)

Some thoughts, on the above:

The architecture is un-inspired, but not a complete disaster.

I would prefer the midrise Kennedy frontage be a bit more animated.

I like the park proposal overall, it intelligently builds off an existing, if degraded section of ravine, and lands it would have to conceded to the TRCA anyway.

If there's one thing here I really am not keen on, it's the cul-de-sac at the end of the road which eats into the park space.

I understand why it's there (the road dead-ends), but I think that makes a compelling case for working something out w/the adjacent parcel owner(s) to build a cohesive road system, rather than one or more dead-end streets.

No new renderings are updated in the database. There are some minor changes in the database. The total unit count was reduced from 509 units to 508 units. Total building height changed from 96.90m & 41.00m to 97.1m & 44.35m.

Resubmitted with the following changes:
  • Storeys increased from 29 & 12 to 42 & 21-storeys
  • Heights increased from 97.1 & 44.35 to 135.45 & 73.5m
  • Total residential units increased from 508 to 682 (includes 98 rental replacement)
  • Total vehicular parking decreased from 296 to 259
  • Total bicycle parking increased from 382 to 537
Updated renderings:
PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural_Plans_708-712KennedyRd-87.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural_Plans_708-712KennedyRd-88.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural_Plans_708-712KennedyRd-86.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural_Plans_708-712KennedyRd-85.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural_Plans_708-712KennedyRd-0.jpg

^^^^ well now, that's ambitious, to say the least.

Lets take some things in order:

Progress: The cul de sac has been removed. Woot!

Step Backwards: The proposed park is removed in favour of a POPs. I entirely disagree w/this and don't care a whit about the provincial policy directives here, the POPs should be refused, this should be parkland, its a logical site directly abutting a creek.

Missing step: @HousingNowTO needs to be tagged on this now, as this is now large, using a PMTSA argument for same and this is relatively close to Kennedy Station. Want density, bring me affordable housing.

Hey, looks like this backs on to the conceptual West Scarborough Railpath.

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/west-scarborough-railpath-conceptual.33914/post-2017036

I see the property in the upper right of this photo.

It does.

So I have learned that the logic of a POPs here is that Parks refuses to accept any dedication that doesn't directly back on to a public road, and the proponent here does not want to provide a public road. (too bad)

While I think Parks is being officious here, as I would see this as 'natural' / passive parkland not requiring much active maintenance, I also see other reasons why there should be a public road.

A new public road is necessary to bring the parking lot of the building to the north into play as a development site which could support a new tall building w/residential, and could in turn add more park space next to the the park on this site, as well as next to the 'West Scarborough Railpath"

The proponent should be shot down to achieve a better outcome here. Public Road, Public Park.

Hey, looks like this backs on to the conceptual West Scarborough Railpath.

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/west-scarborough-railpath-conceptual.33914/post-2017036

I see the property in the upper right of this photo.

View attachment 551873
...put this image of the Kennedy & Eglinton intersection into the time-capsule now, because it will look nothing like that by 2050... every strip-mall & surface parking-lot fronting Eglinton from Ionview to Midland is going to be redeveloped into at least the 30-storey height range.

1711753859587.png

Cityplace has been under construction for 25 years and with a lot less competition. There's a million units proposed. Most of these transit oriented communities won't be completed as who wants to live in a dense, master planned subdivision of residential skyscrapers in the middle of nondescript suburbia.

Cityplace has been under construction for 25 years and with a lot less competition. There's a million units proposed. Most of these transit oriented communities won't be completed as who wants to live in a dense, master planned subdivision of residential skyscrapers in the middle of nondescript suburbia.
Retirees who want to stay in there neighbourhood and it's familiar services.

Back