Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Worst case, it could support a smaller gr
My first instinct was “I wish more of these developments were like The Well” (self sustaining mixed used) but then I realized we ain’t figured out just how successful the Well IS beyond Instagram.

On one hand, the Well does have adjacent streets, thoroughfares and neighbourhoods to feed from, whereas that could be a tougher prospect for an island. Buuuut I do wonder what kind of businesses Villiers will get that cater to the seasonal beach & park visiting crowd (oh they’re getting a beer store/wine shop/LLBO right?).

Will also be interesting to see how residents enjoy the noise from Rebel/Cabana.

We’re just two US presidential terms away!
The Well needs to draw on a much larger trade area to sustain its retail.

Just for reference in discussions like this, can anyone point to an actual example of affordable housing that was built in the city in the last 20 years? Like I don't even know what an 'affordable housing development' looks like. I know none of the condos that get built are affordable. They're all tiny and way overpriced. I know housing is getting built like mad, but I literally do not have any reference of what affordable housing looks like in this city. Can anyone say just for reference, "Oh, yeah, you know the big development that went up at the corner of X and Y... that's what we're talking about..." I'd love to know and I don't say that with any cynicism. And to be fair for sake of discussion I'm not talking about public housing or something built and run at a loss to tax payers. I just mean a genuinely affordable housing development. What's an actual example of one?

I think Rebel's days are numbered. The Island denizens couldn't kill it, but it won't survive being in the middle of a neighbourhood. It's got plenty of years still, though.
I've always hated Rebel/Sound Academy but I will fight like hell for its right to exist. If we're going to celebrate our Music City status, we need live music venues in close proximity to where people live. Axis and History prove it's possible. Plus, Rebel was a certain Bridle Path rapper's first venue and I know he'd fight to defend it to (and has).

Just for reference in discussions like this, can anyone point to an actual example of affordable housing that was built in the city in the last 20 years? Like I don't even know what an 'affordable housing development' looks like. I know none of the condos that get built are affordable. They're all tiny and way overpriced. I know housing is getting built like mad, but I literally do not have any reference of what affordable housing looks like in this city. Can anyone say just for reference, "Oh, yeah, you know the big development that went up at the corner of X and Y... that's what we're talking about..." I'd love to know and I don't say that with any cynicism. And to be fair for sake of discussion I'm not talking about public housing or something built and run at a loss to tax payers. I just mean a genuinely affordable housing development. What's an actual example of one?

Huh?

Public Housing and/or Subsidized Housing is exactly what affordable housing means. This can come in 2 broad forms, one in which there is a purpose-built, public/non-profit owned building; and the other is where units are secured within a for-profit building either as a community benefit or by purchase.

There are no pure-play private sector, for-profit buildings that provide 'affordable' housing. That's the whole point. It's to build/secure housing such we house those who cannot afford market-rate housing.

Last edited:

There are organizations out there building housing that is built using mortgage financing (usually with some sort of CMHC subsidy) and run like private housing, but even in those cases the tenants' ongoing rents are highly subsidized by government programs. If there are no government subsidies, it's going to be "market" housing, and the "market" hasn't been truly affordable for people at median incomes for quite a while in Toronto (assuming by "affordable" you refer to benchmarks like spending 30% of your gross household income on housing).

I think they've said fromthe beginning that "Villiers" was just a placeholder (presumably taken from the street, though why it couldn't be "Cherry Island" I don't know) until they come up with a permanent name. There's some discussion of the current proposals/options above.

Any more pictures taken on the west plug, being torn down. Should be pretty close you would think to opening completely on that side facing the lake.

I hope there will be some eager photographers tracking the emergence of greenery into the new river area. Twenty five years from now it will be intriguing to compare the evolving ‘finished’ product.
I feel like without people occupying the place, there shouldn't be any privacy/spying issues with having a webcam setup. Does anyone do that anymore? I feel like we used to have a whole forum thread on 24/7 construction cams that was somewhat active. Wish they could set something up

Back