News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 376     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 954     1 

Feeding wildlife prohibited April 2023

... occasionally see nesting boxes on fence posts along rural roads. I wasn't aware of the House Sparrow problem.
Metal poles with a wobbling baffle (or greasing the pole, according to this guy, though I've read that the grease dries up or gets washed away by rain) are apparently much better than wooden fence posts or trees for preventing squirrels and raccoons from reaching the eggs or nestlings (warning: link goes to video some may find upsetting). To be effective, the boxes also need to be monitored and cleaned out to prevent mice or insect infestation, and House Sparrow occupation. I think they would be mostly useless in the GTA, with so many House Sparrows around that would enter the nest boxes and peck the eggs.

Last edited:
I don't see why pigeons etc. shouldn't just be culled. I think moving pigeons out of town would be highly ineffective. I am skeptical that moving geese would work any better, as they famously are quite adept at finding their way to the same place every year.
They seem to be afraid to do anything that some might attempt to characterize as animal cruelty, beyond "birth control".
The article mentions it not really working to reduce their population in Vancouver.

They seem to be afraid to do anything that some might attempt to characterize as animal cruelty, beyond "birth control".
The article mentions it not really working to reduce their population in Vancouver.
Interesting approach! I wonder if there are any ethical considerations with birth control for pigeons, even though it seems they haven't found much success with it in Vancouver. The article mentions some concerns, but maybe there are other factors at play.

A resident peregrine falcon population, or red tails would enjoy keeping the pigeons in check, and their dining habits would horrify most onlookers, but perhaps add some education about what the food chain is really like.

A resident peregrine falcon population, or red tails would enjoy keeping the pigeons in check, and their dining habits would horrify most onlookers, but perhaps add some education about what the food chain is really like.
There are certainly hawks and some falcons in the city. You can probably see big Red-tailed hawks circling around overhead every day, or sometimes perched on the top of utility poles, and occasionally eating something they've caught (and I think most are fascinated or even happy to see it, not horrified). I don't think they do much to limit the population of pigeons and squirrels (or House sparrows -- 'You didn't have to bite my head off.')

Last edited:
There are certainly hawks and some falcons in the city. You can probably see big Red-tailed hawks circling around overhead every day, or sometimes perched on the top of utility poles, and occasionally eating something they've caught (and I think most are fascinated or even happy to see it, not horrified). I don't think they do much to limit the population of pigeons and squirrels (or House sparrows -- 'You didn't have to bite my head off.')
Like these babies….there are a few carnivores of the sky around, and closer to the airport, we have seen some good examples of them consuming while perched on the nearby pedestrian lighting standard, much to the horror of some. But to make an effect in Toronto we will need a few more patrolling the skies.
IMG_4205.jpeg

Back