229     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 907     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.4K     2 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"Bank of Toronto, N/W corner Church-Wellington, 1868"
Prof Goldie.

Well, we all can salute David Walsh and his brother for the save/restore of another Gooderham edifice,
that being, 49 Wellington St West, ala The Flatiron Building, bought from the City of Toronto.

Regards,
J T

It seems I'll never get over it. Every time I see a before and after like this, an exquisite edifice destroyed and ultimately replaced by an unimaginative, generic p.o.s., I just want to scream. "Urban renewal" was a 10 year period of mass dementia.

Probably more like 25 years. In any case, one has to put oneself in the mindset of a Torontonian landowner or politician in the 1950's to understand the mass destruction. The older city looked shabby, Victorian architecture was not valued (in the context of the Modern Movement) and it was the Age of the Automobile which needed parking spaces downtown. Remember that O'Keefe Centre was intended to revitalize the neighbourhood (and the Board of Trade building was demolished across the street to provide parking).

This shot of Front Street in the 1950's (when the Bank of Toronto was still standing), illustrates the air of abandonment with its broken sidewalks and empty streets.

front1950s.jpg

Attachments

• front1950s.jpg
    front1950s.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 769

Attachments

• TN Canadian Bank of Commerce N-W King-Jarvis 1972 built 1907.jpg
    TN Canadian Bank of Commerce N-W King-Jarvis 1972 built 1907.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 589
  • TN Bank building King-Jarvis.jpg
    TN Bank building King-Jarvis.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 558
Probably more like 25 years. In any case, one has to put oneself in the mindset of a Torontonian landowner or politician in the 1950's to understand the mass destruction. The older city looked shabby, Victorian architecture was not valued (in the context of the Modern Movement) and it was the Age of the Automobile which needed parking spaces downtown. Remember that O'Keefe Centre was intended to revitalize the neighbourhood (and the Board of Trade building was demolished across the street to provide parking).

This shot of Front Street in the 1950's (when the Bank of Toronto was still standing), illustrates the air of abandonment with its broken sidewalks and empty streets.

View attachment 118661

Your points are all well taken. Front St in the 50s looks shabby, yes, but it has character. I may be just weird, but I'd take that gritty, crumpled vista over the current profligation of mediocre, glass and steel sameness any day.

It seems I'll never get over it. Every time I see a before and after like this, an exquisite edifice destroyed and ultimately replaced by an unimaginative, generic p.o.s., I just want to scream. "Urban renewal" was a 10 year period of mass dementia.

Though it's worth noting that the replacement pavilion, by TD "house architect" A. Bruce Etherington, actually had a bit of a cult following by the 90s. Unfortunately, said following was deflated once TD relinquished it to Pizza Pizza and it lost its Miesian "purity" through renos...

Certainly a beauty- I'd take one of these over a dozen generic point towers. The Registry building ( https://tayloronhistory.com/tag/old-registry-building-toronto/ ) is another one that also pains me to think about- bold and gorgeous. I'm not a huge fan of the new city hall and NPS which replaced it- much of it an empty and quite unattractive space in my opinion. The registry building reminds me of Edifice Ernest Cormier in Montreal which thankfully is still standing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Édifice_Ernest-Cormier

Attachments

• TN Toronto St. 1897.jpg
    TN Toronto St. 1897.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 591
  • TN Toronto St. 2017.jpg
    TN Toronto St. 2017.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 548
  • Monarch Visible by The Monarch Visible Co., Syracuse N.Y. U.S.A.-founded 1904.png
    Monarch Visible by The Monarch Visible Co., Syracuse N.Y. U.S.A.-founded 1904.png
    719.4 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:
those side walks of yesteryear in front of the monarch sign. were they actual curb pieces and slabs of stone layed down to make the side walk or were they poured cement?

those side walks of yesteryear in front of the monarch sign. were they actual curb pieces and slabs of stone layed down to make the side walk or were they poured cement?

Probably concrete or cement. If the photo above is 1904-1910ish, there are photos on the Toronto Archives site (like the one below on Crawford in 1915) which suggest that Toronto was using concrete for sidewalks around that time. Also the photo below of the man on College Street (which the Archives site dates to 189?, but could very well be post 1900) seems to show concrete sidewalks.

Sidewalk College.jpg
Sidewalk Crawford 1915.jpg

Attachments

• Sidewalk College.jpg
    Sidewalk College.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 538
  • Sidewalk Crawford 1915.jpg
    Sidewalk Crawford 1915.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 525

Back