News   Apr 18, 2024
 700     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.3K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

IMG_2219.JPG
Hoarding in The St.Clair Centre (NE corner Yonge & St. Clair) shows Colette Grand Cafe.

www.colettetoronto.com

Attachments

• IMG_2219.JPG
    IMG_2219.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 427
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/susur-lee-restaurant-staff-iou-1.4252959

IOU system at Susur Lee restaurants required staff to use tips to pay for mistakes

Spilling a drink, sending the wrong drink to a table or punching in an incorrect order with the kitchen were all examples of mistakes that cost employees tip money, according to staff at chef Susur Lee's restaurants — a practice that is forbidden under Ontario's Employment Standards Act.

Workers at the Toronto restaurants Fring's, Lee and the recently closed Bent say they would see what were called IOUs — some worth more than $100 — when they would pick up their tip envelopes. It's a policy that management says is no longer in effect, but workers say it has cost them much-needed cash.

"Farmr" has opened at 140 The Esplanade. It looks considerably more contemporary and expensive than its predecessor, Time Square Fish & Chips. It'll be interesting to see if it succeeds in this location, but it's kind of exciting to see something new and refreshing open here. The restaurants in this general area are pretty lame.

http://farmr.ca

"Farmr" has opened at 140 The Esplanade. It looks considerably more contemporary and expensive than its predecessor, Time Square Fish & Chips. It'll be interesting to see if it succeeds in this location, but it's kind of exciting to see something new and refreshing open here. The restaurants in this general area are pretty lame.

http://farmr.ca

I avoid all establishments where I need to pick a "protein" because it kills my appetite. I am ordering food, not acquiring nutrients.

This is the low-rise building just north of the Esso station on Sherbourne Street, just north of Front.

Application:

Sign Permit
Permit Issued
TORONTO ON M5A 2P5
Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Application#:
17 202190 SGN 00 SP
Issued Date:
Aug 23, 2017
Project:
First Party
Work:
New
Description:
In conjunction with a two storey building on the premises, proposal to erect and display three wall signs, two of which are illuminated and the other non-illuminated, all displaying static copy, located on the first storey of the south and west elevations. The two illuminated wall signs are 0.61 metres vertically by 2.97 metres horizontally. The non-illuminated wall sign is 0.31 metres vertically by 2.91 metres horizontally. **TIM HORTONS**

The Bareburger franchise at Bay and Dundas has been closed the past few days. I remember seeing a closure for emergency maintenance a couple of weeks ago (but then reopened), then over the weekend they were closed again with a sign up saying they were having difficulties, "please bear with us", now the sign is down but it's still closed with no other indication of what's up. It's still listed on the chain's website though, so maybe it is just ongoing maintenance issues? I had noticed it not being so busy lately, but I thought it was doing reasonably well on weekends at least.

Update: as of Saturday the windows are now papered over.

Window coverings on the former Bareburger location are announcing a new restaurant - Dagu Rice Noodle, a Shanghai-based eatery.

Back