News   Apr 26, 2024
 814     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 254     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 747     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

My parents live in a extremely high end luxury condo and the condo will not rent it's retail floor to anyone who they don't deem worthy. So sometimes there is empty areas for months while they look for someone worthy. I'd be concerned that one we may force more developers to pull a U condos approach and have towns at the bottom.

Hence this is where the planning department comes in along with the removal of the commercial rebate for empty units.

The current trajectory of more and more chain stores displacing independent retails is undesirable, yet tricky to resolve.

Hence this is where the planning department comes in along with the removal of the commercial rebate for empty units.

The current trajectory of more and more chain stores displacing independent retails is undesirable, yet tricky to resolve.

I hate it when visiting a city outside of your own, that you find the very same stores selling the very same goods, at or near the very same prices.

So, what's the purpose of the "cheat sheets"?

mSSRi-71_normal.jpg
Jennifer Pagliaro@jpags
1 hour ago
On voting discrepancies, Tory says he didn't know how his staff instructed others & staff didn't know how he'd vote.

He said the cheat sheets used by his office during some meetings to tell councillors how to vote are “not meant to instruct anybody as to how to vote.”

The Star obtained a different cheat sheet from a debate about new taxes and fees under consideration, including road tolls, in December.

During that meeting, Tory voted against a motion to consult the public on new tax measures, including an income tax. The cheat sheet instructed allied councillors to support the consideration of those measures.
can you explain the purpose of this voting? Tory votes against motion to consult public and then for allied councillors to support consideration. Tory himself looks like he is trying to pull something over the public so he looks bad. This makes no sense

The "official" word was that the Mayors staff made the list of what councillors should support without his knowledge.

My guess they are were votes that appeared superficially to be worthy, but in reality they were ridiculous with potentially high cost implications. Thus, Tory wants to look like the nice guy, and councilors (who become an unnamed mass of people), vote to kill the motion. Not sure if this going public means some of his support on council is wavering.

Definitely a wakeup call for Toronto in reforming its bureaucracy.

‘Culture of complacency’ at city hall linked to road-paving scams
City manager Peter Wallace says the city is vulnerable to fraud and that the problems may be extensive.

Toronto’s top civil servant has ripped into a “culture of complacency” within the city bureaucracy that may have allowed road paving contractors to scam taxpayers out of millions of dollars.

“Frankly there’s been slavish devotion to status quo here,” city manager Peter Wallace told councillors on the audit committee Friday.

They were reviewing Auditor General Beverly Romeo-Beehler’s report that found “telltale signs of bid rigging and inflated pricing” in city paving contracts between 2010 and 2015, and signs some city employees may have been involved.

While the audit covered five years “there’s no reason at all to believe this is not an extended pattern reaching past beyond that,” Wallace said, adding the auditor general’s findings “send a signal about the broader organization.”

“This is a fundamental wakeup call to the city of Toronto. We can’t look at this only in paving, and say ‘No it’s just that situation, that’s it.’ No, we’re going to have to look a bit more broadly.”

The city awards $1 billion a year in public contracts for construction and repairs, including $100 million for road repair and maintenance.

The probe started in March 2015. Romeo-Beehler soon alerted Wallace — a recent city hire like herself — of “irregularities.” A separate internal city probe confirmed “the potential for wrongdoing” by external vendors and internal staff. Police were notified in early 2016 but have not said if there is a criminal investigation.

Wallace called the news “upsetting”, adding the city is working on fraud detection and other measures to ensure the massive annual spend happens through fair and competitive bids. He warned improvements cost money.

“We are vulnerable to fraud and that vulnerability takes places because people are more sophisticated than we are. The core thing we need to do is be more sophisticated. That is something that requires investment.”

Romeo-Beehler told councillors that, unlike the Charbonneau inquiry in Quebec that uncovered massive corruption in public construction contracts, her probe has not implicated any elected officials.

Possible misconduct by staff is another matter. She cited improper estimates on the scope of road work that were key to “opening the door for things to occur that shouldn’t occur.”

The “irregularities” could have been caused by an “untrained person or there could have been something else.”

Councillor Josh Matlow told committee companies found to have rigged bids should be “blacklisted.”

After the audit committee went behind closed doors to hear more from the auditor general, he suggested the digging will likely lead to fresh revelations.

“I'm incredibly distressed by what we learned through the auditor general's research,” he said. “This shouldn't happen in Toronto — suggestions of insidious behaviour and nefarious conduct by either internal staff or vendors who we contract. It's just unacceptable in a city like ours.”

Councillor Chin Lee agreed. “The crooked mind is very inventive — they will find the holes if you leave it open.”

The committee reviewed a separate audit that found taxpayers are footing the bill for questionable claims for health benefits including orthopedic shoes, medical braces and therapeutic massages.

One city employee’s family claimed $31,500 for more than 60 orthotics over three years. Dependents aged 18 and under can claim an unlimited number of some medical aids under the city’s contract with staff.

Matlow called the lack of caps a “glaring loophole”, adding: “It shouldn't be this open trust system that anyone can get as many things as they want hoping that no one is going to exploit the system.”

Wallace suggested the “genuine problem” is not individual parents but “a somewhat more organized practice,” like those alleged in an ongoing TTC benefits probe. Police accused an orthotics shop of providing transit employees with receipts for goods or services never provided, and then splitting the payout.

The new audit identified two medical supplies and equipment providers with “suspicious activities.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...at-city-hall-linked-to-road-paving-scams.html

That would be a backtrack of monumental proportions. He's dug his hole, I can't see him digging himself out.
I can see it collapsing around him, and his having to get dug out...that's inevitable, the question really is when? And how many other idjots does he take with him?

I think it's time for another poll of Scarberians to see what they really want. And if it continues to be the "one stop subway" I say that we, as good citizens of this burgh, present them with their own copy of Mrs May's blockbuster manifesto: Brexit. And may I suggest exiting to the east? See how far Pickering will go with a subway to nowhere.

In the event, I suspect the vast majority of Scarberians, when presented with the *actual* costs and details, will not vote for it. But we need at least a poll to indicate that, and then an election based on it.

I think that some form of the Scarborough subway will be built purely through political force of will, much the same way how the York line ended up in Vaughan. A shame that the most sensible option (running the subway down the SRT right-of-way was discarded through some weak reasoning.

Now we have a ticking budget buster of a transit line on our hands, and the question really is now who gets to hold it when it explodes.

I think that some form of the Scarborough subway will be built purely through political force of will, much the same way how the York line ended up in Vaughan. A shame that the most sensible option (running the subway down the SRT right-of-way was discarded through some weak reasoning.
There's a huge difference....funding!

The SSE is bereft of cash. Lots of talk, no money. "Promised money" means dick. The Feds for a start have not allocated much of anything to anybody in terms of infrastructure money, and sure as hell they haven't for SSE. Other than the (from memory) $600,000 or thereabouts.

Where's the rest going to come from when the Province will only do it if the Feds match the funds?

Run it all past me again, I'm dizzy from all the claims. This thing is about to hit the buffers, even if Council don't now, or never will get it. Without the funding...?

Edit to Add:
Toronto still more than $7 billion short for transit projects even after federal budget funding

The federal contribution is “most welcome,” said Mayor John Tory, but “now we have to move forward and see what the provincial budget does.”
By Ben SpurrTransportation Reporter
Sat., March 25, 2017
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ojects-even-after-federal-budget-funding.html

Last edited:
I think the issue is that it's almost expected that this project will cost far more than what has already been allocated.

Hence either begging for more funding, more tax surcharges, or diversion of funding from other projects (the Eglinton extension into Scarborough is already an early victim).

I think the issue is that it's almost expected that this project will cost far more than what has already been allocated.

Hence either begging for more funding, more tax surcharges, or diversion of funding from other projects (the Eglinton extension into Scarborough is already an early victim).
Not enough!

Sounds like Ainslie did a great job tonight vs Glen DBM. Jennifer Pagliaro will have an article on it soon as she was tweeting from there. Ainslie debunked all the myths, and boy were there a lot.

Back